Intermittent fasting

Options
Anyone do intermittent fasting? I fast on Wednesday’s and drink only tea & water (lots of it). And on Fridays I keep calorie intake below 800 again with lots of water.
Anyone else have experience doing this? I love it, but sometimes wonder if it jerks my metabolism into overdrive afterwards.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    hestia2019 wrote: »
    Anyone do intermittent fasting? I fast on Wednesday’s and drink only tea & water (lots of it). And on Fridays I keep calorie intake below 800 again with lots of water.
    Anyone else have experience doing this? I love it, but sometimes wonder if it jerks my metabolism into overdrive afterwards.

Despite what the diet industry tells us, your metabolism isn't nearly as susceptible to being messed with as you'd think it is, so I wouldn't worry too much about it! IMHO the key to successful weight loss is finding a way to eat that makes it as easy as possible to stay in a reasonable calorie deficit, full stop.

I used to do 16:8 and it worked really well for me for a time. I'm back on a traditional eating schedule now that I'm in maintenance, but wouldn't be surprised if a restricted eating window is something I use again in the future. I could never do the 5:2 style schedules, but I know they work well for some people.

Welcome and good luck :drinker:
  • BadBanditCA
    BadBanditCA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Check out the movie Fasting, available on amazon prime. Great info in there.
    I agree with kimny72 in that your body knows exactly what to do when you fast! In general I only eat between 10 am and 8 pm, which gives me a 10 hour eating window (12:10). When I was trying to lose more weight, more quickly, I went to an 8 hour window.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I did something similar to lose weight - the 5:2 way of fasting with 2 low days a week and 5 days at maintenance. Made adherence to a sensible weekly goal easier for me.

"but sometimes wonder if it jerks my metabolism into overdrive afterwards" - erm…. No!!! :noway:
  • JaimeJaimeM
    JaimeJaimeM Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Mid-month I'm starting IF approx. 4 days a week and interested to see how my body responds. Basically forces me to skip a meal and do some fasted HIIT. Hoping it accelerates fat loss.
    16 hour fasts, nothing outrageous.
  • BadBanditCA
    BadBanditCA Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Mid-month I'm starting IF approx. 4 days a week and interested to see how my body responds. Basically forces me to skip a meal and do some fasted HIIT. Hoping it accelerates fat loss.
    16 hour fasts, nothing outrageous.

Cool! Let us know how it goes.
    Remember that our ancestors have fasted on and off for one reason or another for over 2 million years, right up to about the industrial revolution. So you'd have to work pretty hard at it to fast "outrageously"! 😬