Lost weight, building muscle, gaining weight... help

Options
I have recently lost 50lbs with diet, tracking, and exercise. Recently I have gained 8lbs back with no change in habits. I realize this is mostly likely building muscle but I am frustrated as I still had 10 other pounds to loose. Help!! What can I do to get back to loosing weight.

Replies

• meganreid163
    meganreid163 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It’s really common to gain a few pounds of you start working out really intensely.
    I did a few weeks ago for me I found the cause was two things, 1. Water retention and 2. Increased hunger from working out.
    I was eating too little calories and then binging because I was starving. & binging on bad things.

This was three weeks ago and I upped my calories and now I’ve lose the 5ish pounds I gained plus lost a extra one.

It’s really easy to let the scale tell you how your suppose to feel but if your eating properly and working out. The scale will catch up.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I mirror @quiksylver296 response. 8 pounds is a combo of lean mass and fat mass. Water weight is actually considered lean mass. When you finish a cut, most people's glycogen stores are depleted. When they refeed, glycogen is stored pulling water with it into the muscle. All according to muscle mass, it can be 2-5lbs.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    How fast was the weight gain?

Is it justified by anything: lack of BM, bloating, time of month, air travel, sodium, novel exercise, eating out/more sodium, scale placement, batteries, changed time of weigh in, clothing worn?

Is the gain continuing?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    How fast was the weight gain?

Is it justified by anything: lack of BM, bloating, time of month, air travel, sodium, novel exercise, eating out/more sodium, scale placement, batteries, changed time of weigh in, clothing worn?

Is the gain continuing?

All good questions. One more possibility: When I restart weight training, I initially find it quite fatiguing, until I get back into the swing. NEAT drop is real . . . sadly.

Also, eating back calories (which one should, with a correctly-set-up MFP-estimated goal), but unquestioningly relying on a heart rate monitor to estimate strength training calories (which I didn't, but I've observed the effect,
    ijust didn't rely on the whacky estimate).

It would take quite a while to gain a full 8 pounds either of these ways, but they can be factors.