Help with protein

Options
localgrr
localgrr Posts: 99 Member
Hello,

I eat pretty healthily. Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables + I try to have lean protein with lunch and dinner, I usually have oatmeal for breakfast. I have a bit of a sweet tooth but otherwise I'm in good shape.

I struggle to get enough protein though, I'm not sure what else I can do without resorting to shakes or bars.

Any tips?

Thanks

Replies

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, beans, cheeses
  • localgrr
    Options
    Buff_Man wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with using shakes as long as it's supplementing and not the main source of protein. One or two scoops a day is fine

Aren't they a bit unnatural?
  • localgrr
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »
    Greek yogurt, beans, cheeses

I dabble but it's still not enough
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken breast is about one of the most protein dense foods out there. Close to 10g per cooked ounce.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Tuna?
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Nuts, I have just discovered how easy it is to make pure nut butters. you could also use legumes, beans and the like. Or simply have a larger portion of your chosen proteins.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Egg whites and Greek yogurt are easy low-cal options. Turkey, ham, and chicken lunch meat or canned chicken (I use it a lot to make soup) are also good. Cocktail shrimp are easy to add some protein to salad or stir fry.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Hello,

I eat pretty healthily. Plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables + I try to have lean protein with lunch and dinner, I usually have oatmeal for breakfast. I have a bit of a sweet tooth but otherwise I'm in good shape.

I struggle to get enough protein though, I'm not sure what else I can do without resorting to shakes or bars.

Any tips?

Thanks

You can always add protein powder to your oats for breakfast. Some have more 'natural' ingredients than others if that is a concern for you.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    I like to cook my oatmeal with milk instead of water for the protein boost. I also use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and look for ways to incorporate it into recipes to boost protein
  • vmtama27
    vmtama27 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I started Premier Protein with a 🍌 in my blender. . It's amazing
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    I like using the following - high protein/ low calories, fat and sodium too

I like on top of salads, etc,. - also great in eggs/pancakes, baking, etc.,

Dairyland Dry curd cottage cheese:
    Nutrition Facts
    Serving Size: 1/2 cup (125 g)

Amount Per Serving
    Calories from Fat 4.5 Calories 110

% Daily Values*
    Total Fat 0.5g 1% Saturated Fat 0.3g 2% Cholesterol 10mg 3% Sodium 15mg 1%
    Total Carbohydrate 2g 1% Dietary Fiber - Sugars 2g Protein 22g

Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C -
    Calcium 4% Iron 2%
    * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I resort to shakes and bars when I need extra protein. Hasn't killed me yet... ;)
  • localgrr
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    You can always add protein powder to your oats for breakfast. Some have more 'natural' ingredients than others if that is a concern for you.
    I tried it once and it was Soo gross! Just had a protein shake, didnt like it much :( I prefer to eat real food too

• localgrr
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to look in to tasty protien shakes (the whey I have turns my stomach) and cottage cheese! Forgot about that although I forgot to say I'm a bit lactose intolerant, also I'm allergic to eggs! 😬
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to look in to tasty protien shakes (the whey I have turns my stomach) and cottage cheese! Forgot about that although I forgot to say I'm a bit lactose intolerant, also I'm allergic to eggs! 😬

Look for protein powder with as few ingredients as possible. I use Biochem Ultimate 100 % Whey protein, Natural. Ingredients: Whey protein isolate, Natural French vanilla flavor, sunflower lecithin, xanthan gum.

(The Vanilla option to me has a rather overpowering amount of vanilla, and also some added sugar. Natural is lightly vanilla.)

Are all dairy products problematic for you? Some people can tolerate yogurt but not milk. Plain Greek yogurt is a good lower calorie source of protein, and might work better in your oats than PP.