Keto: carbs vs. sugar on MFP?

Options
Hi, all,
I have been doing keto for approx. 9 months, down approx 30 lbs (on an extended vacation and away from a scale for over a month...tremble!). I’m trying to eat approx. 1500 or less calories daily, and trying to stay in a 60-70% fat/ 20-25% protein/10-15% carbs ratio. My question is: I may stray over the goal on carbs on some days, but my sugar intake is always WELL below the goal on this tracker...are they cumulative? If I”m over on carbs, but under on sugar, does that balance at all?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,138 Member
    Options
    Carb total is inclusive of sugars and fibre (unless it's a net carbs entry). Some carbs don't have high levels of sugar that's pretty much all that is telling you, but not all entries have sugar listed either, so it depends how accurate your logging is and what you expect the difference to be?

For weight loss it shouldn't make any difference as calories are what matters. Macros are for satiety and a personal preference.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If you eat low carb to keep blood glucose low or ketones high for medical reasons, then carb creep could affect your chances of achieving your goals.

If you are just trying to lose weight, a few extra carbs are not a big deal as long as it is not raising calories too much or causing hunger.

Carbs are glucose. Sugar is a type of carb made of glucose and fructose.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    My main question for you is are you testing your blood at all? The reason I ask cause there is no set amount of carbs for everyone, as we all metabolize glucose differently. So in theory you can answer your own question if you are testing you blood ketone levels, and seeing how you react to the amount of carbohydrates you are eating on a given day.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    No, carbs already includes sugar. You don't add them.

It's not going to hurt anything to be a bit higher than your carb goal from time to time, however. You lose because of the calories, not the carbs. Keto just makes it easier for some people to stick with their calorie goal (or in some cases to eat less without counting).
  • carolmoore611
    carolmoore611 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I’m not testing blood sugar, but I may start—thanks for all your input! ‘Greatly appreciated!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I’m not testing blood sugar, but I may start—thanks for all your input! ‘Greatly appreciated!

Not just blood sugar, blood ketones as well.