Protein Bars

Options
I am looking for the "best" protein bars. I don't mind making them or buying them. I understand it may be impossible to find exactly what I am looking for but I would be happy with something as close as possible to it.

I am looking for something that is:

1. High in protein.
2. Low to no salt.
3. Low to no carbs
4. Low no Cholesterol
5. no sugar

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Probably the jerky / keto type protein bars are the only ones which will have no carbs or sugar.

Although I suppose there are some with artificial sugar, but that's too nasty tasting for me to recommend.
  • davebabcock1606
    davebabcock1606 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make yourself some pemmican
  • kshama2001
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Honestly you would be better off going with powders than bars for that. That's a pretty tall order in a bar.

Yes, and protein powder would be cheaper than the type of bars I suggested above. Good point.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Questbars are low net carbs, if you're ok with fiberous carbs
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm in same quest as you are and after looking for a ton of nutrition labels I still cannot find the right ones. Those that apparently has a good protein/carbs ratio, are high in sugar alcohols or something else.
    Some brands are supposed to have almost all carbs in form of fiber and not sugar, that seems nice, but lots of carbs still.
    I guess making them is the way to go, but again, not find a good receipe to try.
  • FatherMischief
    FatherMischief Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was eating one brand then found an article that compared it to a Snicker bar and the numbers were the same. Great! I have considered making my own, but I have no way to calculate the number to know if I am truly getting something better. :(
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I was eating one brand then found an article that compared it to a Snicker bar and the numbers were the same. Great! I have considered making my own, but I have no way to calculate the number to know if I am truly getting something better. :(

Have you checked out MFP's recipe builder?
  • beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think Quest bars are probably as close as you’re going to get for what you’re looking for. They are high in carbs but most of it comes from fiber.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    good advice!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I think Quest bars are probably as close as you’re going to get for what you’re looking for. They are high in carbs but most of it comes from fiber.

@FatherMischief while many like Quest bars, I and others find them inedible due to the nasty sucralose aftertaste, so do try one before you stock up.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options

What silly article was that? A Snickers bar is not high protein, high fiber, or low sugar like a One protein bar. The only thing similar about them is the calorie amount.
  • ncgirl8
    ncgirl8 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like Pure Protein Chocolate Deluxe. Combat Crunch is another I enjoy....
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Maybe one of those new bars made with cricket powder? The one brand I know (Crickstart) contains sugar (8g) but that aside, numbers are really decent.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Not all Quest bars have sucralose. I think the double chocolate chunk flavor doesn’t have it.

That one and chocolate brownie are my favorite flavors.

I’ve had a Quest Bar for breakfast every day for the last 4 years.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@FatherMischief while many like Quest bars, I and others find them inedible due to the nasty sucralose aftertaste, so do try one before you stock up.

Almost every new flavor released since last year contain zero sucralose. They are sweetened with stevia.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Why don't you want a bar with fiber?