How do I get 4000+ calories?

Hey guys, I'm 76 kg and 195 cm, looking to gain weight as fast as possible. I work out every day (almost every day). My body burns around 3800 calories per day so I need 4000+ at least to gain weight. Now this is a lot easier when I ate a 225 gram chorizo on a day for example bc that contains 1200 calories. But this contains a *kitten* load of bad fat so I'm looking to find an answer which food is the best to gain a lot of calories (looking for cheap and fast to make, ideally). Protein is already saturated bc I also eat a *kitten* load of yoghurt on a day, so Im getting around 150-200g protein per day already.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    I have the opposite problem, on a bingey day I am close to 4000 calories and should be eating a lot less :lol:

Add more oils in cooking and dressings.

Cheese is always a tasty addition to anything.

Nuts/Nut butters.

Oily Fish

Chocolate Raisins/Dried Fruit

• adpschoon
    adpschoon Posts: 20 Member
    easy to eat carbs like rice or bread or cereal

and ice cream with nutella, and peanut butter

Isnt ice cream with nutella bad in the sense that it contains a lot of fats and not a lot of macros?
  • adpschoon
    I have the opposite problem, on a bingey day I am close to 4000 calories and should be eating a lot less :lol:

Nuts/Nut butters.

Oily Fish

Why should you be eating less than 4000? Are you trying to lose weight? Thanks for the recommendations btw! I'm gonna try to implement those :)
  • adpschoon
    adpschoon wrote: »

Isnt ice cream with nutella bad in the sense that it contains a lot of fats and not a lot of macros?

fat is a macro?

I'm just worried that I'm getting too many fats in if I want to reach my calories goal of 4000. In the end I want to add weight in form of muscle, not fat. You think that's an issue or that I should not worry about that and eat stuff like chorizo, ice cream with nutella, crisps?

depends if you're getting adequate protein and carbs from the rest of your diet? if you are you don't get extra points by eating all of your calories from broccoli and chicken.

there's nothing wrong with a bowl of ice cream or a doughnut after a meal if that meal had a good amount of protein and fruit and veg etc in it.

Makes sense! I already eat enough protein out of my outmeal and yoghurt meals (4x a day which results in 150+ g protein). Time for that fast food then I guess! :D
  • aegean2
    aegean2 Posts: 6 Member
    Try Tahini (sesame paste/butter), it comes in several options (may be hard to find locally), such as with honey, orange, prebiotics, cocoa, etc. It is full of calories, like 100 per couple of tablespoons. If you love the taste, it is easy to pack on the weight, if you just tolerate it, then maybe in your coffee, salad dressing or yogurt?

It is very high in calories, fat mostly, with a bit of protein and very few carbs 600 calories per 100grams (169 per oz), but one of the healthiest fats you can eat.

Also try cooking your foods in olive oil or sesame seed oil. Both are full of monounsaturated fatty acids and polyunsaturated fatty acids. They are about the healthiest fats you can eat, if you want to pack on calories, both full of other healthy nutrients with many health benefits proven through millennia of use. Try to avoid other oils like sunflower, canola, corn, etc.

You can do some research on the 3 things I suggested, but from what I have read through the years, they are about the healthiest of high calorie foods there are.

https://healthyeating.sfgate.com/health-benefits-sesame-seed-oil-vs-olive-oil-6925.html
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member

Nuts/Nut butters.

Oily Fish

Why should you be eating less than 4000? Are you trying to lose weight? Thanks for the recommendations btw! I'm gonna try to implement those :)

Yes I am going for weight loss.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I eat a huge bowl of ice cream daily. It fits my calories and macros and doesn't effect the rate of my MPS alone.

You might find it easier to eat caloric goals by eating more fatty cuts of meat as well.

Make sure you are getting enough leucine(3-4g per meal) otherwise MPS cannot take place no matter how much protein you consume.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    That's odd, I punched your numbers in a TDEE calculator and I'm not getting anywhere near your reported maintenance number of 3,800 - even with the „very active / athlete” selection for activity.

Since increasing lean mass with minimal fat gain to go along usually means going for a low to moderate surplus, you might not have this problem of needing to reach 4k in the first place. If you are getting the cal burn reading off a wearable or gym machines, be aware that they're notorious for overestimating.

Protein looks good. But what is too many fats in your book? I would also argue on the topic of bad fats but that gets into technicalities. :smile:

that just means he's not in a standard deviation - most calculators tell me i need to eat like 1600 to maintian weight and yet i eat 24-2800 cal a day and weight stable (with normal fluctations) - i lose 1-2lbs a week on 1600...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

fat is a macro?

I'm just worried that I'm getting too many fats in if I want to reach my calories goal of 4000. In the end I want to add weight in form of muscle, not fat. You think that's an issue or that I should not worry about that and eat stuff like chorizo, ice cream with nutella, crisps?

Dietary fat doesn't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. If you're going to eat 4000 calories that will put you in a surplus...if you're lifting you will gain muscle along with fat. You always gain some fat in a calorie surplus which is why bodybuilders go through bulking and cutting cycles.
  • adpschoon
    That's odd, I punched your numbers in a TDEE calculator and I'm not getting anywhere near your reported maintenance number of 3,800 - even with the „very active / athlete” selection for activity.

Since increasing lean mass with minimal fat gain to go along usually means going for a low to moderate surplus, you might not have this problem of needing to reach 4k in the first place. If you are getting the cal burn reading off a wearable or gym machines, be aware that they're notorious for overestimating.

Protein looks good. But what is too many fats in your book? I would also argue on the topic of bad fats but that gets into technicalities. :smile:

Hey! I just measured today at my local gym that I'm at 13% body fat, so I'm looking to keep that level going forward and others have pointed me towards carbs, so I think I'm going to bulk on those if they help me get to my calories goal. My local gym thingy also says I'm burning 2100 kcal per day, multiple apps and sites however said that I need to aim for 3500 - 4000 kcal per day! I just dont like the idea of eating junk food to get to my calories goal yaknow? Btw, todays measurement also said I now weigh 82.9 kg which is a huge surprise! Added 3.1 kg of pure muscle. Wanna keep this momentum and go for 90 😄
  • adpschoon

that just means he's not in a standard deviation - most calculators tell me i need to eat like 1600 to maintian weight and yet i eat 24-2800 cal a day and weight stable (with normal fluctations) - i lose 1-2lbs a week on 1600...

I too think you should aim for much higher than what you burn per day if you really want to gain! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,292 Member
    edited April 2019
    Do you do cardio? If so, one option is to drop the cardio, then you won't have to aim for 4,000, 3,500 or less may be enough to gain in that case