Help with protein

Options
2»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    localgrr wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to look in to tasty protien shakes (the whey I have turns my stomach) and cottage cheese! Forgot about that although I forgot to say I'm a bit lactose intolerant, also I'm allergic to eggs! 😬

I'm not vegan, but when it comes to protein shakes, I prefer vegan ones (with pea protein) because often times the whey/casein shakes bug my stomach. The vegan ones have never made me feel sick, even if I drink one right before a long run. Some taste better than others, so experiment until you find one you like. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Nuts, I have just discovered how easy it is to make pure nut butters. you could also use legumes, beans and the like. Or simply have a larger portion of your chosen proteins.

Nuts and nut butters are fairly low protein. They are primarily a source of fats and fiber. You would have to eat a ridiculous amount to get much protein and with the fat, it would come at a very high calorie load.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It’s not clear to me, are you vegetarian? If not, I’m confused why no one is recommending the obvious source of protein - meat. Skinless chicken, pork loin, certain cuts of steak, and most fish are all low calorie options which pack a whopping amount of protein compared to the other suggestions.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It’s not clear to me, are you vegetarian? If not, I’m confused why no one is recommending the obvious source of protein - meat. Skinless chicken, pork loin, certain cuts of steak, and most fish are all low calorie options which pack a whopping amount of protein compared to the other suggestions.

Some have, but OP said current diet is lean proteins at lunch and dinner (which I assumed meant meat), and it didn't sound like any with breakfast or snacks, so I think people were thinking about supplementing those other meals and picking easy foods for that. Another option is larger portions of the lean proteins.

I asked follow up questions and OP didn't answer, so perhaps OP has gotten what she or he needs.
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options

kshama2001 wrote: »

Are all dairy products problematic for you? Some people can tolerate yogurt but not milk. Plain Greek yogurt is a good lower calorie source of protein, and might work better in your oats than PP.
    Thanks, I think i have a pretty good whey. Maybe it's gone off? Yeah I'm okay with yoghurt, and a bit of milk is okay. But too much and I get hella gassy!

• meganreid163
    meganreid163 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I struggle too, I’ve found tuna & chicken breast help a lot but I’m not opposed to protein bars and shakes! actally ive found that I really enjoy certain bars and when I have a sweet tooth they curb that craving :)
  • 2fast4ewe
    2fast4ewe Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Fish, especially cod, is a go-to, for me. VERY little fat in cod #win-win.
  • rosiorama
    rosiorama Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I bring a can of fish to work with me - not just tuna - like kippered herring. Good protein for the number of calories. The grocer regularly put them on sale, making them decent price-wise too. Not a fan of the sardines though.

I understand how you feel about protein powder in oatmeal. I’m not the biggest fan of it either, but I’ve turned into a protein monster because otherwise I rarely get my daily target. We also out protein oowder in waffle and pancake mix.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Legumes (beans, etc). Always a good add for protein.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I’ve had recent success adding protein by making my lunches mostly meat-based, adding roasted edamame to my normal breakfast of almonds, having occasional snacks of tuna, and using more Greek yogurt in things.
  • localgrr
    localgrr Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I seemed to have fixed this problem by adding cottage cheese to my lunch and i bought some high protein snack bars, they're quite tasty!