Over on vitamins.

Options
I was wondering what vitamins and minerals are okay to go over the daily amount and what ones you should not go over by much.
Thanks

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking if you are only taking food you should be okay unless you eat or drink something in extreme excess. If you are talking about food and supplements you are probably still okay unless you manage to pair a high dosage with a really high amount from the food too.

Is there a reason you ask the question or are you just looking at some MFP reports and see that a few things are way over the line?

• weightgoesbyebye
    weightgoesbyebye Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I notice my vitamin A is usually 300% plus as i have a spinach smoothie a day as well as sweet potato in my morning egg bowl.

Thanks
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I notice my vitamin A is usually 300% plus as i have a spinach smoothie a day as well as sweet potato in my morning egg bowl.

Thanks

Vitamin A from vegetables comes from Beta-Carotene, which you can't really overdose on. Vitamin A from animals or supplements you can. Don't go eating polar bear liver.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Thanks

I am commonly 500 percent on Vitamin A. Yesterday I was over 800 percent and it is no problem.

If you eat mega doses beta-carotene for long enough (much more than you are now) you can turn your skin orange but not die.

• lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I believe your body can only absorb so many vitamins before it just stops absorbing it. You end up with vitamin rich urine.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »
    I believe your body can only absorb so many vitamins before it just stops absorbing it. You end up with vitamin rich urine.

That is more or less true for water soluble vitamins, but not for fat-soluble vitamins.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Vit A,D,E,K stored in fats, not suppose to have too much of those or it becomes toxic, everything else we're suppose to pee out the excess.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yeah, plant vitamin A is a non-issue. It's selectively converted to the kind of vitamin A the body needs as needed, and it wouldn't convert enough to become toxic. If you are extremely high on it for an extended period, your skin can turn orange. It's not a serious issue, it's just a cosmetic issue and it goes away after a while once you reduce your vitamin A to more reasonable levels.

Generally speaking, if you're getting it from food, you're less likely to be overdosing beta carotene unless you're consuming 10-15 carrots a day, if you're getting it in supplement form, it's easier to overdose.

EAT:
    Remembered an anecdote. Back in the 90s my aunt did this fad diet where she could only eat potatoes and carrots, but no limit on the quantity. She was supposed to be on it for one week, but she kept going. She gave herself quite the scare when 2 or 3 weeks in she started turning yellow. She thought she was having liver issues when, in reality, she just ate too many carrots. We laughed at her a lot because she stayed yellow for a good while before it subsided.