weak back is affecting exercise

Options
angermouse
angermouse Posts: 102 Member
edited April 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
if any one can offer advice on building up back strength. it effects squats, abs, glutes.
ive been trying to activate/fire glutes, left one is half dead and i feel exercises in the hip flexer more ofen on that glute. ive watched untold 'weak glute' youtube clips telling me weak glutes can cause weak back? i do lateral raises, donkey kicks, leg swings, fire hydrant, glute bridges to name some but even the activator exercise aches my lower back.
when ever i do abs my back becomes more tender, tying to do squats my back aches, my hips click, knees click... looked into sore knees and it took me back to building up the medius muscle.

tried some foam rolling the other night and now my knees and inner thighs feel even tighter.
when doing ab exercise and ab activators, no matter how hard i try my lower back takes over and i cant keep it flat to the floor without straining other muscles. any ideas?

to add, i do bird dog, supermans if that's the correct name, and where i lay on my front and lift arms and legs up.

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Yoga. Yoga really builds up core strength.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Dead bugs might help. At the very least, they won't cause further damage. I do a whole bunch of exercises using a stability ball, which adds a core-strengthening component to whatever other muscles I'm working.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I can’t find the video, but I recently watched a video on a glute bridge variation which is specifically designed to make it impossible to cheat with your lower back. I tried it and can really feel my glutes and hams.

It’s like a single leg bridge, but you start with your supporting foot about a foot away from your rear instead of touching it, and the non-supporting leg is knee is against your chest with your hands wrapped around the outside of your knee. In this position you only get a few inches of motion, but it’s all glutes, no back.
  • angermouse
    Options
    Dead bugs might help. At the very least, they won't cause further damage. I do a whole bunch of exercises using a stability ball, which adds a core-strengthening component to whatever other muscles I'm working.

yep i do dead bugs, i have to bring my knees slightly closer to my chest instead of of the 90 deg angle otherwise my back starts fighting the floor. usually after the first hold i feel the ache coming on, im hoping if i continue it will build strength? and not doing more damage.

• angermouse
    Options
    Unfortunately I can’t find the video, but I recently watched a video on a glute bridge variation which is specifically designed to make it impossible to cheat with your lower back. I tried it and can really feel my glutes and hams.

It’s like a single leg bridge, but you start with your supporting foot about a foot away from your rear instead of touching it, and the non-supporting leg is knee is against your chest with your hands wrapped around the outside of your knee. In this position you only get a few inches of motion, but it’s all glutes, no back.

trying to visualise it and can kind of see what it is. i'll have a search for it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I would first get your back pain checked out to make sure it isn't anything serious, and to be certain that whatever exercise you're considering won't make it worse.

Having said that, many people find that pilates helps with back issues, and it may be worth checking out if your doctor says it's okay. Some of the exercises that are being discussed already, like dead bugs, are common pilates exercises. There are also forms of yoga that incorporate pilates-style exercises.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    This isn’t the video I was looking for, but this is the exercise, it’s a single leg glute bridge knee to chest.

https://youtu.be/RaIXSv7LLUA
  • angermouse
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I would first get your back pain checked out to make sure it isn't anything serious, and to be certain that whatever exercise you're considering won't make it worse.

Having said that, many people find that pilates helps with back issues, and it may be worth checking out if your doctor says it's okay. Some of the exercises that are being discussed already, like dead bugs, are common pilates exercises. There are also forms of yoga that incorporate pilates-style exercises.

i only get back ache after working out, its not something that im in pain with all day, it just aches and affects my exercises. im sure its from child birth (x3) i had symphysis pubis dysfunction (SPD) with the last 2 and i guess it never really fixed or went away?

i do have a Windsor pilates ring, might dust it off. dig out my dvd lol
    i used to do more pilates but i found it didn't help with my ''skinny fat'' issue and i needed to build some muscle to help tone more.
  • angermouse
    Options
    @rheddmobile thanks.
  • lin_be
    lin_be Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    My n=1 experience...my back pain was strictly due to weak abdominals. I went to PT for 10 weeks and we did mostly abdominal exercises and some back stretches. I still have to work hard on my ab strength but it’s made a pretty big difference. I can’t say for certain of course if that’s your issue though.
  • MurphmomSparkles
    MurphmomSparkles Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Possibilities that come to mind:
    Tight hamstrings and/or hip flexors, maybe get some PT, massage, and dry needling.
    I think this is a really helpful video for targeting those lower abs/lower back muscles and it came to mind since you mentioned childbirth.
    I know the description of the DVD talks about prolapse and incontinence issues, but I find it beneficial even though I don't have those issues.
    httpss/www.amazon.com/Hab-Pelvic-Floor-Tasha-Mulligan/dp/0510539610/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=hab-it+core+dvd&qid=1554520720&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull
  • sweetlatina77
    sweetlatina77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recently found out I have arthritis in my back so I feel you. Strength training your back is a form of physical therapy. It gets better. 😉
  • Nini_applebum
    Nini_applebum Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Id say before you do any further exercises to prevent further injury and allow more core stability work on the tranverse abdominis . This is the deep core.muscle known as the corset that attaches from verterbrea to center.core. Many people forget about this. A good way to trigger is by doing elevator exercises. Laying down or seated- you visual your navel going to the bottom floor which is the navel travelling towards the spine. Ideally you want 4 floors 1is tightness, 2nd more hold 3rd more, 4 is basement. You can begin with 2 sec to 5 sec holds. Remember to breath. Once you have your elevator set. Then this is the foundation for ALL other exercises. You hold basement coupled with breathing to stabilize your spine. Then work on your proximal leg muscles such as hips, glutes, etc. Stabilize close to far. Good luck !!!
  • angermouse
    Options
    lin_be wrote: »
    My n=1 experience...my back pain was strictly due to weak abdominals. I went to PT for 10 weeks and we did mostly abdominal exercises and some back stretches. I still have to work hard on my ab strength but it’s made a pretty big difference. I can’t say for certain of course if that’s your issue though.

its a circle aint it, If I try and build up my ab strength my back then feels weak. ive been looking up ab exercises that don't stress the back so will try those.
  • angermouse
    edited April 2019
    Options
    bitewing22 wrote: »
    Possibilities that come to mind:
    Tight hamstrings and/or hip flexors, maybe get some PT, massage, and dry needling.
    I think this is a really helpful video for targeting those lower abs/lower back muscles and it came to mind since you mentioned childbirth.
    I know the description of the DVD talks about prolapse and incontinence issues, but I find it beneficial even though I don't have those issues.
    httpss/www.amazon.com/Hab-Pelvic-Floor-Tasha-Mulligan/dp/0510539610/ref=mp_s_a_1_fkmrnull_1?keywords=hab-it+core+dvd&qid=1554520720&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

ive tested for tight flexors and I can pass on holding my leg up and flexing it to the floor lying on a bench so its not this.
    ive always done pelvic exercises from childbirth, I don't have prolapse or incontinence or diastasis. but its also used as an abs activator exercise. even doing them make my back feel tight? I still do it in hope it strengthens.
  • angermouse
    Options
    Id say before you do any further exercises to prevent further injury and allow more core stability work on the tranverse abdominis . This is the deep core.muscle known as the corset that attaches from verterbrea to center.core. Many people forget about this. A good way to trigger is by doing elevator exercises. Laying down or seated- you visual your navel going to the bottom floor which is the navel travelling towards the spine. Ideally you want 4 floors 1is tightness, 2nd more hold 3rd more, 4 is basement. You can begin with 2 sec to 5 sec holds. Remember to breath. Once you have your elevator set. Then this is the foundation for ALL other exercises. You hold basement coupled with breathing to stabilize your spine. Then work on your proximal leg muscles such as hips, glutes, etc. Stabilize close to far. Good luck !!!

yes I do these as well as isometric holds, dead bug, side plank hold etc.
    maybe i need to do them more often? not sure i can train abs everyday or not so much train just the holds
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm with the poster who said look into yoga. At least try it. I put it off for too many years and it changed my life. I'm so sorry I didn't do it sooner. I'm naturally stiff.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You need to strengthen your core.
  • angermouse
    Options
    I'm with the poster who said look into yoga. At least try it. I put it off for too many years and it changed my life. I'm so sorry I didn't do it sooner. I'm naturally stiff.

yes sure i will, i once went to join a hatha yoga but the classes started just as the school holidays started so couldn't go and forgot all about it. will see if its still going.