Hummus, a Filling Protein?

Options
After a little research, I am still confused. Would hummus be a filling replacement for meat? I am interested in incorporating it into my lunch. Is a pita with hummus and veggies enough to hold me over until dinner, or would I need to eat more with the meal?

Replies

• Misty1777
    Options
    bump
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Totally depends on you and how full you feel after you eat it. It's a good source of protein but it also has carbs - not that you should fear carbs; "experts" recommend beans/lentils a few times a week. I LOVE chickpeas, but I use them more as a side than a poultry/meat replacement.
  • kmelski
    kmelski Posts: 14
    Options
    I'm sure it depends on each person, but I don't usually find hummus to be very filling unless I eat lots of it. I find avocado stays with me all day, so some guacamole alongside your hummus might do the trick.

Beans (chilis, soups) are also very filling and usually high-fiber, high-protein, and low-calorie. I like to make big batches and then freeze serving-size portions for a quick take-along meal.
  • nickiesue
    Options
    As a vegetarian hummus is a staple in my diet but it doesn't have enough protein to replace meat. I like hummus with pita or veggies as a snack rather than a meal. I also replace mayo/mustard (your condiment of choice) on my sandwiches with a little hummus...

Good Luck and Happy Losing!
  • sherismb
    sherismb Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I eat hummus everyday with veggies or Special K chips, it is so filling and I've read on WebMD, that yes the protein in it is sufficient enough to replace meat. Sabra has the little travel size.
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've been eating hummus daily as an morning snack. I eat two servings (160 calories total) with a giant cut up cucumber (30 calories). It does a pretty good keeping me satisfied for 2-3 hours. Personally, I don't think it has a lot of protein compared to meat. I also have a protein shake in the morning (banana, whey, milk, spinach) which is 300-350 calories.
  • KelieHerrera
    Options
    I find hummus satisfying, but mostly as a snack. I don't usually eat it with a pita, however. I think hummus on a pita would fill me up for a meal, but I'd rather eat more veggies and maybe use the hummus as a dip.
  • MJLavaty
    MJLavaty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Kind of disappointed, although to be honest I wasn't too excited about the pita anyways. Guess I will have to think of something else.
  • tararocks
    tararocks Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You might not have to abandon your idea altogether, like many people said it is a great side to add to your lunch, if you have other lunches that you enjoy but that don't fill you up or keep you full then try adding a side of hummus and veggies to it, that may be the last little boost of protein you need to get you through. Also, i like to to stuff pitas with protein rich foods, for example, lots of veggies, carrots, peppers, mushrooms, then hummus and black beans, the protein form the hummus and black beans together stays with me.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I actually do use hummus as a protein replacement in my diet. I'm vegan and will eat it with veggies for lunch many days. In fact, I have some olive hummus in my fridge that I will probably polish off for lunch. Yum!

I have used it in a pita and stuffed in lots of veggies, but more often I'll use it on a sandwich with grilled veggies instead of in a pita. I may use a little flat bread instead of regular bread, too. More veggies, less carb.