Food cravings

Options
Hey y’all. I’m on a mission to start a healthy lifestyle with that extra push entering marriage next February. I’ve been 6 days strong now, no bad carbs and no bad sugar (one cheat day, my birthday!!). Somewhat keto? Anywho, my fiancé doesn’t eat healthy but has no weight issue, unlike me. When he eats subs and pizza, it makes me CRAVE SO BADLY! I know to leave the room, but it’s discouraging. How do I keep to it with that immediate temptation?? Any tricks of the trade? I’ve found hot tea helps sometimes in the moment. Been I need help to stay strong! Thanks.

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating low carb? Only a calorie deficit is required for weight loss, if that is your goal. And a healthy diet can contain a lot of carbs. There is nothing wrong with eating subs and pizza if they fit into your calories.

Also you cannot be somewhat keto.

• InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    Options
    Hey y’all. I’m on a mission to start a healthy lifestyle with that extra push entering marriage next February. I’ve been 6 days strong now, no bad carbs and no bad sugar (one cheat day, my birthday!!). Somewhat keto? Anywho, my fiancé doesn’t eat healthy but has no weight issue, unlike me. When he eats subs and pizza, it makes me CRAVE SO BADLY! I know to leave the room, but it’s discouraging. How do I keep to it with that immediate temptation?? Any tricks of the trade? I’ve found hot tea helps sometimes in the moment. Been I need help to stay strong! Thanks.

Don't think of food as Good or Bad. Instead, think of it as Nutrient Dense or Nutrient Deficient. There's no food you CAN'T eat while losing weight. It's just that some foods should be eaten sparingly because they deliver a lot of calories with very little nutritional benefit. However, if you sometimes crave those foods, you have to option of quenching that craving and it's not going to destroy your diet (if done in moderation).

Some days, resisting your cravings are the right call. Other days, satisfying your craving is the right call. It all depends on whether you've made room in your daily calorie goals for it, and if you need to satisfy your craving so that you can stop thinking about it and get back to business as usual.

• thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    well, i kinda have to avoid carbs because of my diabetes so i feel you here. and while i have no special insight on how to avoid cravings (good lord i love carbs), i just think of how poorly i feel after eating them.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

To the bolded:

When I am craving something, I do one of two things:

1. If it fits in my daily calorie allowance, I eat it.

2. If it doesn't fit in my daily calorie allowance, I tell myself I can have it this weekend (or some day three or four days down the road). I then shave 100 or so calories off my days until the weekend. Then I have an extra 300-400 calories to use toward my crave food (usually a cheeseburger and tater tots). A lot of times, though, by the time the weekend rolls around, I don't even crave that food any more, anyway.

As to the "bad carbs" and "bad sugar", there are no such things. Food is not good or bad. It is neutral.
  • cezza1215
    cezza1215 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I dont know if this will help you but it's worth a try. If ever I'm around any delicious food/someone eating it, I visualise a few rather nasty 'bodily fluid' all over it and tell myself "just think of it going down their throat, and the smell" then tell myself over and over that the fat is gona be in their stomach NOT MINE! I then go and drink a load of water. It kinda passes the craving for me.....UNTILL NEXT TIME 🙈 (graphic I know but its mind over matter with me) 🤣🤣
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Use the MFP calculation and stick to their suggested daily calories. For food graving I have realized that I had to make small adjustments on the macros - took me about 6 months but the macros I consume now on a daily basis seem what my body needs, so I don't grave any specific foods any longer.
  • Teelynn14
    Teelynn14 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have only been doing this for 2 weeks and yesterday I broke and had a Chubby Chicken Burger for lunch. It was amazing LOL but I did not go over my calories for the day. So as far as I'm concerned it was not cheating and it was sooooo good. Have a bit of the sub and enjoy, just say within your calories for the day.
  • eschmand1
    eschmand1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Like many others have said, I eat what I want to but focus extremely hard on portion control as that has always been a problem for me. I am not "giving up" anything that I like with the exception of high-sodium foods as I have become more conscious of the effect of excess sodium on my body. I, also, allow myself one cheat day once a week but within reason. If I want pizza I have it but I only have two slices instead of four and I eat some raw veggies with it. If I want Cheetos or M&Ms I have them but stick to one portion instead of gorging on them. You can do it!
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Having cravings is tough!

Over the years I have discovered that denying myself food that I love does not equal long-term lifestyle change. So what I've worked on is portion control of the foods that I really crave and enjoy. I don't crave junky food much (thank goodness), and I am vegan, but when I want a sub, I have a sub, but I make sure that I have a portion that fits into my goals. I end up feeling satisfied because I had the food, and proud because I am still in my lifestyle plan and taking good care of myself.

Jenn
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Eat the pizza, but instead of 6 slices eat 2, eat the sub, make it turkey with lots of veggies. I have not given up any foods including pizza and subs, just eat smaller portions that fit my calories.

I really like what she said! I feel that most people give up everything to drop the weight. Once done, they revert back to old habits. This is also what I am doing now and thus far I've had some success. Also, I'm sure your partner is great but he should also be a little more supportive with your journey. You are going to be around this person all day, every day!