Chronic pain and weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a lot of us here have mobility issues. What about a *reasonable* fitness goal? I'm trying for 2000 steps a day, which is hard for me. I'm used to being in a recliner on a heating pad all day. But this journey isn't only about weight loss, it's about reclaiming my health, so I'm trying.

Anyone else have fitness goals suited to chronic illness? Maybe we can inspire each other!
  • thatjodiegirl
    thatjodiegirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So, there's a lady named Dr. Jo on Youtube. She's a physical therapist, and she has a ton of videos of exercises and stretches to relieve chronic pain. Here is a link to her page on Youtube with all of her videos. I've been doing one of hers for my hip arthritis for a week now. It has given me 90% pain relief.
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    @thatjodiegirl hmmmm, the link didn't come through, but I can probably search for it fine. So glad you're getting some relief! Both of my hips are in terrible shape.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I’m on Zoloft 50mg for depression and have an autoimmune disease as well as arthritis and I’m currently on indomethican and a few others for chronic pain. I’m still very young but my starting weight was 180 and I’m currently down to 145 and my goal weight is 125. This was taken today to honor my 35 pound weight loss. k4vd6tm1h17m.jpeg
  • debraah66
    debraah66 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am 47 years old, and I have severe hip arthritis. I began this journey in September of 2018 at 206.5 pounds. I am now down to 170 pounds, and have 20 more to go to reach goal weight. I eat between 1200 and 1300 calories per day, and go to the gym 4 days a week most weeks. Some days are harder than others, but I push through.

Dropping 35 pounds has helped with the pain some. I think eating healthier foods has helped it, as well. Still, I'm not 100% pain free.

I've dropped almost 30 pounds now, eating low carb, under 1350 calories. I still get a lot of pain in knees, back and my neck. I"m hoping it gets better though. I'm starting to get some in my hip too. I'm 52 and I know what you mean by some days are better than others.
  • debraah66
    debraah66 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Anyone can add me as a friend also.
  • aimjolie
    aimjolie Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have chronic pain in my knee, neck, elbow, and sometimes bad back spasms. The knee is the worst and was told I would need a knee replacement down the road. In the meanwhile I was told that the best thing I can do for my knees is walk and keep my weight down because just 1 extra pound puts 4lbs of pressure on your knees. The heavier I get, they said the more pain you will have. I need to lose at least 10 lbs. I log my food every day and try to walk when I can. When I try to eat healthier and stay away from junk, I feel better mentally and physically. Before I would try to lose weight to look better, now it’s just to lessen knee pain. It’s not easy as I love to eat, especially cookies, candy, etc. but the journey is so worth it. Good luck to all here and may your journey become easier over time and you get the results that will make you happy and proud.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I also recommend doing 23andMe if you haven't for the health information - I found that it told me things to avoid, as well as where I should be genetically for my weight. Turns out I should weigh less than average, and I need to eat less red meat, but I am prone to be athletic. I participated in a study with them last year related to weight, and it made me realize what I needed to do. I am doing it. Referral link: https://refer.23andme.com/s/kayvm