RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    o man, I moved TO popcorn from chips so popcorn is my healthier choice >.<
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Splash of fish sauce. You will be amazed. I was.

:sick:

Exactly my thoughts, but I am willing to try anything once. Tried it and was wowed. Just a small splash.

I'll take your word for it!

Ain't no way no how I'm bringing fish sauce into my kitchen :noway:
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on MFP a couple of weeks ago, that you can pop it in a microwave safe bowl with a microwave safe plate that covers it on top. I tried that, and it works great, just as good as the brown bag. Plus you can eat it from the bowl. I spritz it with “I can’t believe it’s not butter” and grated Parmesan.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Exactly my thoughts, but I am willing to try anything once. Tried it and was wowed. Just a small splash.

I have known a lot of people to say that not realizing how the worcestshire sauce in their cabinet is made.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

I have known a lot of people to say that not realizing how the worcestshire sauce in their cabinet is made.

Fish sauce is one of those ingredients that is good as just that - an ingredient. Don't smell it, don't pour some out on your finger and taste it. Just add a splash to your stir fry and trust that the multiple millions of people making and using it for centuries can't be wrong ;)

Still not sure I'd put it on popcorn...
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Fish sauce is one of those ingredients that is good as just that - an ingredient. Don't smell it, don't pour some out on your finger and taste it. Just add a splash to your stir fry and trust that the multiple millions of people making and using it for centuries can't be wrong ;)

I'm not either, but I admit I'm sort of thinking about it now.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

And when notoriously picky eaters are raving about your food don't tell them it is one of the ingredients.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    Truffle salt. Dark, rich, yummmmmmy on popcorn
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Popcorn is a healthy snack. Even better if you are immune to sodium fright. I have a 50g (dry weight) bowl almost every day at 4pm. Today it was 60g. Yum.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do air popped pop corn (a big bowl. because why not....). I melt slightly less than 1 tablespoon of butter and then mix in seasonings and spices until its almost a paste....garlic powder, sriracha, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper...whatever I'm feeling and then toss it in droplets into the popcorn and shake it up. it's still a little buttery and the seasonigns stick, but it's not ridiculously unhealthy/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are smaller 100 cal bags of microwave popcorn. Can't get much better than that for a snack!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    You can also pop your own in a brown paper bag in the microwave. Just fold over the top and pop away. Add your own toppings.

This is what I do. A wee bit of coconut oil over the kernels, dump it in a brown lunch bag, fold the top over and pop it. Delicious!

PS: This is the only thing I actually use coconut oil for! :D
  • MimiOfTheFraserValley
    MimiOfTheFraserValley Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Air popper!

This is what I use, & I never add salt, but then I'm not a real salt person. With an air popper, you can add as much or as little of what else you want, if you want anything else. Flavour to taste, really. :)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Popcorn salt is great. Powdered like flour. It really changes the popcorn snack.
  • porkchopsandapple
    porkchopsandapple Posts: 30 Member
    Options

Oh man I love fish sauce! Dont be scared by the name or anything, that stuff is great on a lot more than just stir fry!