Snacking issues

Options
I have a bad habit of getting the munchies real bad whenever I watch shows or at night, like its ridiculous and this gets in the way of me completing my goals. I don't know how to make myself stop or find a way to go about it better ;o;

Replies

• AphroditesBrat
    AphroditesBrat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @enaudnaslow
    Yeah, my problem is/was always I was what you would call a bored eater, and usually eat twice as much when I watch shows.

Thanks for the support, we'll find a way to get through this >o<;;
  • AphroditesBrat
    AphroditesBrat Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    @geneticsteacher
    Thats actually a really good idea, I might try that!
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is a BIG issue for me - I snack at night cuz I’m bored and tired and also sometimes feeling stressed or sad. Things that have been working for me at least a little:

- eating a big bowl of red cabbage with a small amount of honey ginger dressing or plain. The cabbage has very few calories and it’s tasty and takes awhile to eat. Also red peppers.

If I’m really hungry - either a handful of walnuts or a chobani nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt with blue berries.

I used to have small or low cal ice cream bars but I would always end up eating 2 or 3 or even 4!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    A protein shake or fluff fills me up while I watch my show.
  • meganreid163
    meganreid163 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I try to save 200 calories for a protein bar at the end of the night.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I have this problem too of late night snacking. I try to schedule my exercise in the evenings to break up the time a bit to fight boredom because I know I will otherwise be snacking. I also have my dinner later in the day cause I know I’m less likely to eat even out of boredom if I’ve just eaten. ( I have a snack between lunch and dinner so I can push dinner later.)
  • Stellamom2018
    Stellamom2018 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I always save 300-400 calories for my second supper. I can say no all day long, I've conquered staying away from the work candy bowl, but I always need a bed time snack.

I'm currently eating chilly cow ice cream (190 cals) and drinking a ginger beer (170 cals).
  • melissafeagins
    melissafeagins Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Take up a new hobby, ideally one that requires clean hands (sketching, needlework, playing a musical instrument, . . . ) or creates dirty ones (painting, carpentry, . . .).

Some can even be done while watching TV, like knitting (but you might have to knit dishcloths rather than complicated patterns ;) ).

Or, when you feel crave-y, stand up and do some marching in place or other small exercise. Or have an herb tea or zero-calorie sparkling water, if the food link is unavoidable.

More generally, assuming you're not hungry at night because you're over-restricting (or distributing your calories through the day in a way that isn't satiating for you), then this is about breaking a habit.

The easiest way to break a habit is to replace it with a new habit . . . a better habit.

I fold laundry. Who wants food on their clean clothes? I used to cross stitch, but I haven't done that for a while because I have arthritis in my right hand.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    In the evening watching TV I chew gum a lot. Also will eat 3 clementines. I take a really long time to peel and eat since I don't eat the "plastic" between each segment.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I budget a small amount of calories for it. Then I measure out 1 portion of my snack (e.g. chips and salsa) and plate it up nicely in a fun (small!) bowl etc then put everything away before I go sit down to avoid temptation for additional. Also: single-serving size bags of microwave popcorn are a helpful thing now (though they unfortunately cost a little more). Fresh fruit is also a great option.

If I don't want to snack at all, I brush my teeth before sitting down to chill in the evening. Again providing more resistance to temptation, because you know you have to brush again..

I like the idea above about doing something with your hands while watching TV. I like to crochet or paint my nails. Who wants to smudge their nail polish by snacking! :-)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I thought I was bored eating but after upping protein this urge went away. Turned out my body just wanted more protein and was looking for it from poor sources.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habit of getting the munchies real bad whenever I watch shows or at night, like its ridiculous and this gets in the way of me completing my goals. I don't know how to make myself stop or find a way to go about it better ;o;

Simple. If you know you're gonna end up with the munchies later at night watching TV, save some calories for it. Just don't take the whole bag of chips with you to the couch.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Pre-log a night snack. I usually set aside 200-300 calories for a snack. Once I have logged it, that's it. No more snacking. (It might help to log something that takes a long time to eat.)

I do this every night. And after I've enjoyed my snack, I immediately go brush my teeth. I don't want to eat anything with a clean, minty mouth. Plus, after awhile, the ritual kind of gets stuck in my psyche. My brain knows that I enjoy my snack, I brush my teeth, then I'm done for the day.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I save calories for snacking b/c I like having something to snack on after dinner.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I save for it . I have a snack at 8 and 10. Tonight it was a nut bar and yogurt