Calorie count or Keto?

Options
124»

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is getting an incredible amout of exercise, it would be quite difficult IMO to be vegan keto. A ketogenic diet is about being in a state of ketosis more than an assigned number of carbohydrates. If ketosis is not the end result, it is just a very low carb diet.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your responses. I'm an omnivore now but was curious about the statement that a lo carb or keto could exist for vegans. It is not as hard for vegetarians who also eat dairy of course.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    xhunter561 wrote: »
    sllm1 wrote: »
    I see no reason to restrict an entire macro (which I personally would not be able to sustain) when I can just count calories and eat what I enjoy.

Calories all the way.

your not completely restricting them. your just removing basically all the simple carbs and keeping the complex ones.

mmapags: sense being on keto i have been doing a average of 30 to 40 mile runs each week when it's not sleeting, having over time, or just being busy.
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151117091234.htm one study but note that it was a test of high carb against keto BUT they used athletic adults on both.

http://sci-fit.net/2017/ketogenic-diet-fat-muscle-performance/#Keto_and_athletic_performance is another interesting one

but as for keto and endurance from a personal stand point using fat as a primary source of energy helps a lot, reduces burnouts, and you can just keep going and going till your legs start hurting or you get bored. but this can differ between people and their genetics and if they work better with high carb or high fat or those that cycle carbs just before a workout and cycle low to no carbs in their rest. I personally don't do go with any type of high carb diets (mainly referring to fruit only diets and vegan diets, both of which made me sick) But keto is just one type and there are going to be those that it will not help at all its just a thing of figuring out what your body works best with.

I wasn't aware that keto didn't allow simple carbohydrates -- I thought sometimes people ate berries on keto?

By the way, veganism wouldn't be classified as a high carbohydrate diet by definition. It can -- like a non-vegan diet -- be high in carbohydrates. But there are also vegans who do moderate carbohydrate or even low carbohydrate. I'm not sure how veganism -- in and of itself -- could have made you ill, although it's certainly possible for vegans (like non-vegans) to eat a diet that doesn't meet their nutritional needs and/or leads to illness.

I was a vegan for 3 years (about 20 years ago). Everything I ate was a plant or plant derivative: fruit, vegetable or legume, nuts. How can a vegan diet NOT be high carbohydrate? Is the person subsisting on olive oil? peanut butter?? avocados? What does a moderate or lo carb vegan diet look like?

Plants have protein and fat. If a vegan wants to eat moderate or even low carbohydrate, they would simply increase the amount of plant protein and fat in their diet. There are vegans who do high protein diet and even keto. That can include foods like olive oil, peanut/peanut butter, and avocados, also things like seitan, soy protein isolate, seeds and nuts, coconut, greens, mushrooms, and sea vegetables.

I would classify my diet as moderate carbohydrate. Although I'm eating more than some other people here, I'm well within the USDA recommendation for percentage of calories from carbohydrates (they recommend 45-60% and I'm usually within the 50-60% range).
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I count macros. I’m enrolled in a nutrition coaching program and my coach assigns my macros. I then weigh every morsel that goes in my mouth and stay within my macros. I’m down 54 pounds since sept.
  • JoJo__Fit
    JoJo__Fit Posts: 258 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I count macros. I’ve been there done that with Keto! I tried it 6 years ago, yes I lost weight but gained it all back and some. Yes it does have its benefits if done correctly! Such has helping individuals who have epilepsy or PCOS.

But if you have a history of having an eating disorder such as binging or your a yo-yo dieter then it can be a problem.
    The problem for me is Keto its too restricted. What happens when you start restricting yourself? Your eventually gonna give in and possibly binge.

I have different goals, I train 6 days a week 2-3 hours a day and I’m powerlifting I need carbs as my main energy source. I’m not restricting myself from any foods I don’t discriminate all foods are welcomed! I’m looking for longevity not a temporary fix to get me fit for summer.

I had to look at the bigger picture and think long term. Is this something I can do forever? NOPE! After years of trial and error I finally found what works well for me and it ain’t KETO.

I’ve learned to be extremely disciplined when it comes to nutrition. It’s a priority to me. I’m in the best shape of life and I’m knocking on 40. I eat whatever i want but I count my macros I consume over 250g of carbs a day, I’ve fix my metabolism from all these different diets I’ve tried over the years. Whatever you decide to do think long term and stick to it.

Good luck
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    JoJo__Fit wrote: »
    I count macros. I’ve been there done that with Keto! I tried it 6 years ago, yes I lost weight but gained it all back and some. Yes it does have its benefits if done correctly! Such has helping individuals who have epilepsy or PCOS.

But if you have a history of having an eating disorder such as binging or your a yo-yo dieter then it can be a problem.
    The problem for me is Keto its too restricted. What happens when you start restricting yourself? Your eventually gonna give in and possibly binge.

I have different goals, I train 6 days a week 2-3 hours a day and I’m powerlifting I need carbs as my main energy source. I’m not restricting myself from any foods I don’t discriminate all foods are welcomed! I’m looking for longevity not a temporary fix to get me fit for summer.

I had to look at the bigger picture and think long term. Is this something I can do forever? NOPE! After years of trial and error I finally found what works well for me and it ain’t KETO.

I’ve learned to be extremely disciplined when it comes to nutrition. It’s a priority to me. I’m in the best shape of life and I’m knocking on 40. I eat whatever i want but I count my macros I consume over 250g of carbs a day, I’ve fix my metabolism from all these different diets I’ve tried over the years. Whatever you decide to do think long term and stick to it.

Good luck

Bravo!

Same boat for me. Have tried it all and came back to macros and moderation, just works for me.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

So if keto does allow one to consume fruit (which contains simple carbohydrates) in a limited quantity in some circumstances and if it restricts complex carbohydrates, I don't understand the claim that keto is "removing basically all the simple carbs and keeping the complex ones." It would probably be more accurate to stay that both simple and complex carbohydrates are limited on keto. Bread, for example, is a complex carbohydrate. But most people on keto couldn't consume very much at all before they began taking themselves out of the ketogenic state.

Honestly it depends on the individual, as there is no golden rule as to how many carbohydrates (complex and/or simple) one can consume and remain in ketosis. From personal experience, I've been able to consume 75g-100g of carbs/day and still produce ketones in the 0.5-0.8mmol range which is nutritional ketosis. I will mix 50g Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrine (simple carbs) in my intra-workout beverage, so for my workouts I fueled by both ketones and carbs. My workout burn those carbs so fast that I never get kicked out of ketosis.