Is this all water weight or am I eating too little?

Options
I am 5'3 starting at 140 pounds with a goal of 127/130 pounds and reevaluate.

I've been doing this for a week with 1200 calories which I have meticulously weighed with a scale etc. swimming for 30 minutes 3 times this week and eating half back as I've seen recommended on the forums here.

Also started using a step tracker. I had thought I was pretty much sedentary as have a few weeks off work but it's counted me in at average 11000 steps a day. I'm a little skeptical about it's accuracy as I dont think I've been doing that much.

I am down 4 pounds from last week and was a little surprised given I don't have too much to lose and I don't think I've undereaten, but know it takes 3500 calories to lose a pound. Is this all likely to be water weight as it's the first week? I don't want to lose too aggressively as I want this to be a healthy and sustainable loss.

Replies

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    You are fine! That’s normal and you likely won’t see huge jumps like that often.
  • IThinkImDumb
    IThinkImDumb Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, perhaps I will reevaluate this time next week and up my intake if needed
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    With only 10-13 pounds to lose do change your weekly weight loss goal to a half pound a week.

9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, perhaps I will reevaluate this time next week and up my intake if needed

It will take longer than even 2 weeks to determine your true rate of loss but you should slow down next week if not bounce back a little. I assume you are set to lose .5 a week so with that first week drop it may be quite some time before you have enough of a "whoosh" to see a new low weight. Try not to get discouraged if that happens and remember that as long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight even if the bathroom scale doesn't show it for periods of time.
  • Dilvish
    Dilvish Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Studies prove fitbit and other electronic fitness trackers are inaccurate most of the time and should not be relied on.

Other than that 4lbs in a week is a bit extreme but it could potentially be water loss. Typically that happens when the body is essentially shocked by a considerable caloric reduction.

You may have to play around with the numbers a bit.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about consistency, Give it a month see where your at and then start to question the data. When i was losing the first week i lost alot to (most do) But then i went a few weeks not losing and i actually regained before a big whoosh. That was my first data visual of what my period does to me. Point being there will be alot of ups and downs but find what your going to try, Stick to trying it, And give it time before you second guess it.

Although if your eating super low in calories and you feel weak or dizzy id ignore this advice. Its important to fuel your body, If you truly feel weak or dizzy eat more, Your eating pretty minimal for a woman (assuming your a woman if not bump calories up instantly). If you wouldnt eat a plate of veggies or something though it may just be your craving not truly hungry. Important to sort of learn your body. You will over time.