Too much protein

Options
SusieBanyon
SusieBanyon Posts: 6 Member
edited April 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm 5'2. I am trying to maintain/maybe build muscle while losing fat. From what I understand I should be taking in .5g protein/lb of weight (114; so 52g protein). I have a great protein powder that I really enjoy that also makes me feel fuller longer (25g protein per 32g, 100 calories). But, today for instance I am now at 90g of protein and still have about 400 calories left to eat (presumably some will contain protein). Is that alright or a risk to my general health?

Herein lies my problem: I enjoy eggs with cheese for breakfast and I also enjoy my protein powder. Do I need to choose one?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    90g of protein is fine.

I haven't heard 0.5g of protein, but 0.6-0.8g is a pretty common recommendation.
  • SusieBanyon
    SusieBanyon Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    90g of protein is fine.

I haven't heard 0.5g of protein, but 0.6-0.8g is a pretty common recommendation.

Thanks. Is it possible to have TOO MUCH protein? For instance, someone of my size having, say, 120g on a regular basis?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    90g of protein is fine.

Thanks. Is it possible to have TOO MUCH protein? For instance, someone of my size having, say, 120g on a regular basis?

If you were eating 500g then that might be too much, but if you have no medical issues then 120g is fine.
  • angermouse
    angermouse Posts: 102 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    im 53kg and eat 130g of protein a day. some times a bit over that. if ive read correct your body gets rid of any extra protein. ive not had any issues with eating that much, but everyones body is different. try and eat what you want and any effects just reduce it abit.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    90g of protein is fine.

It's "possible", but unless you have a kidney condition, very unlikely through the course of a regular diet. There has been no issues shown with otherwise healthy people having a regular intake of protein in the several hundreds of grams per day.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Nope, you're fine. I'm 5'3", 111 pounds, and I usually get a minimum of 115 grams of protein but sometimes I end up at 150 grams. It hasn't had any negative effects on me whatsoever.
  • reneida212015
    reneida212015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't worry ur ok. Its supposed to be 1g per pound. Im at 134 and i get 135g of protein daily. If its supplement I recommend don't go more than 2 scoops daily.
  • emmajunesmith19
    emmajunesmith19 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 53kg also and I get at LEAST 130g a day, 130g is my target to reach (1300 cal a day as I’m cutting) and in 6 weeks, doing 1 hour upper body strength training 1 hour lower body strength training per week (total of 2 hours!) my whole body has changed completely lost 50% of my body fat and I have definition all over my body I started at 56kg. If I make sure I’m hitting 130g protein then the other macros sort themselves out for me and it’s worked better then all the years I struggled to just “get my calories” as I’m really focusing on what I’m eating and it’s almost always “whole foods” (meat,veg,fish)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    52g for you lies more towards the bare minimum not to be deficient. Your goal is much more than that. Unless your obese, aiming for 1g per lb of body weight is a reasonable goal for most people not alone females who are resistance training & want to add LBM.
    Herein lies my problem: I enjoy eggs with cheese for breakfast and I also enjoy my protein powder. Do I need to choose one?

Which ever one that helps with compliance to your diet is fine.