Had to buy bigger clothes...

Options

Replies

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Libby283 wrote: »
    I eat the same as I always have and gained the weight. You can see on my progress chart the steady climb.
    I showed my doctor. He did agree that it does appear to be a steady 50 lb gain every time I get an iud and a 50 lb decrease when it expires.
    He tested my hormones and said it was all normal so he does not see how the iud causes it.
    I am 40 and not yet menopausal. I don’t want to take chances on an unwanted pregnancy. We struggled with finding birth control that prevented pregnancy. The iud works in that area

Yay, another doctor who treats the labs and not the patient! Yay!

[/snark]

Seriously, get a Paragard IUD then. The Paragard was here before the Mirena and it works, just no progestin like the Mirena. You'll likely have heavier bleeding, longer bleeding, and uterine cramping with but there will be no exogenous hormones to argue with such a MD/DO if they are/are not affecting you systemically.

He will balk because of the cost of the IUD in removing it/replacing it, but it's really not his choice. Go to a Planned Parenthood if you have to for removal if he continues to refuse, and you won't fire him over it, and you are not comfortable removing yourself to force the replacement without his input.

The price shouldn't be an issue, as those will last 10 years. I think, I went through 4 of this type in 30 years, and never had a problem, especially not with weight gain. (I blame my chocolate addiction for a few pounds off and on.) However, they work with a copper layer, and if there is a sensitivty to copper, then there might be an issue. Never make an attempt to remove those yourself, though. Bad idea and worse advise. Also, removal and not having an immediate replacement means no protection. That's probably not the idea of the exercise..
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Do you strength train? Maybe having some muscle mass will help your metabolism?
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    On another thread several people were discussing weight gain with IUDs. Whatever causes it, these were long time MFP users who had no trouble maintaining until they got the IUD, gained a noticeable amount of weight in a short time, then lost it without difficulty when it was removed. For some a different variety of IUD did not cause the weight gain. Some felt they were eating more because the hormones made them constantly hungry, others felt they were eating as before but gaining weight, but regardless, getting rid of the IUD solved the problem. So if you do feel this is the cause of your issues, it may be worth exploring other birth control.

Thanks for sharing this. It just dawned on me my Mirena could be why I'm always hungry and why I'm steadily gaining over time. I always figured the fault was mine, even though I weigh and log everything down to my vitamins. It was so frustrating that I kinda gave up for a while. When you keep hearing CICO is the end all be all, it's easy to overlook other causes.

The OP stated her age before. Should she opt for something like Paraguard, and it works for her, she'll have a real winner. The way this works is, that for women in their 40s, a new one of these will likely be the very last one they'll ever need. Statistically, when it's 10 years are up, it will not likely be 'needed' considering the woman's age, and it'll just stay in until post menopause. I'm guessing, doctors don't make as much money on it.... My niece had the same weight gain issues with the Mirena. Hormones made her hungry as well. Her body didn't cope with the copper, and she found an entirely different option, involving her hubby. Snip...