Only lose on 1200 calories?

Options
dee0304
dee0304 Posts: 1 Member
Hello everyone.
i recently went to the doctor to get help with weight loss after many failed attempts. He pretty much told me that I was the type that is "prone to obesity" and the only way for me to lose weight would be to drop to 1100-1200 cals a day.
This seemed absolutely absurd becuz I currently weigh 220 and am 5ft 3 in.

When I went to the doc I weighed 235 and started the 1200 cals the day after. I also do HIIT 3-4 days a week. Minimum 3 always.

I have ONLY had ANY success by dropping my cals this low very scrictly, all the time.

I haven't been tracking very closely lately and have hit a plateau for about 3 weeks..

Can anyone explain?

Replies

• sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    That does seem a low calorie allowance. What does MFP give you when you set up?
    How much do you want to lose?
    I'm 5' 4", 118lbs with only 3lbs until goal and I'm eating 1320 calories per day and slowly losing.
    Are you logging your exercise and eating at least some of those calories?
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm a similar weight (or was) and on a 1275 daily allotment. I've lost 14lbs since I started 3/11/19. I track fairly closely but do have to estimate sometimes--like yesterday, someone brought me a carrot cake for my birthday. I was at my volunteer job so I had to estimate the calories. I looked up several and estimated that a 3oz piece contained around 300 calories. I had to cut back on my planned dinner to make my caloric goals for the day without going over.

My weight drop looks substantial for a month, but my starting weight was an estimate (I think I was actually 3-4lbs less than my estimate) and I dropped fast the first week and a half. I'm settling into a routine of losing from 1.5-2.5lbs/week.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’3” and using a TDEE with being active (workouts 5 days a week 60-90min and 8k steps a day on average) - I maintain on 2500cal

Most doctors only get 3ish hours of nutrition training in med school - I’d ask for a referral to a RD
  • dansamy2
    dansamy2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Humans haven't yet developed precisely calibrated eyeballs. Weigh everything. You're not logging or tracking your intake accurately. You haven't plateaued. You're eating more than you think you are.