How do you incorporate excersing in your busy day?

Options
I used to be able to go to the gym 6 days a week. I loved it, however I felt it was taking a toll on me. I'm trying to go 4 times a week, but feel I'm getting to busy with other things, work, family.....

I want to be focused and want a calm balance in my life. I feel better when I do workout. I just need to stick to a plan and DO IT.
I have a busy work schedule and at times work from 7:45 to 2 (which is when I do get to work out) or 10-6. After 6 is when my workouts were taking a toll on me by coming home at almost 8 at night. I have a teenage son, and I want to be there for him when he gets home from school. My husband supports whatever my decision is, I just need the motivation. I am dwindling.........

How can I find the right balance to take care of ME? I wish I had the energy to wake up at 5AM and workout without feeling tired throughout my busy work schedule.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I do DVDs at home because driving to a class or gym would add another 30 - 40 min to the total time spent on my workout and I don't want that. I also do some strength training (resistance bands, desk pushups, squats, lunges) in my office on my breaks.

I hate giving up any of my precious non-work time but I suck it up and do it because I need it to be healthy.
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I take my kid outside after we get home in the evening and either walk on the boardwalk (I live across the street from the beach) or we play tag, or some other game that involves lots of running. It's a win-win because she has fun, and I get a workout. As a bonus, she gets nice and tired and bed time is super easy.
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Fitandsexy_fe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be since you wanna do 4 days a week. go to the gym the two days you get off at 2pm and the 2 days you have off work.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    You just have to figure out what works for you - none of us can tell you to do it this way or that way.

I work second shift (2-11, 3-11 or 4-11 usually). I know that I like to sleep in as long as I can and I know that I just do not have the motivation to get up and go to the gym before work. I found a 24/7 gym so I can go whenever *I* want to go - which is usually around midnight. Is it late? Yes. But, this works for ME and my lifestyle.

I only go to the gym 2-3 days a week for 60 mins. It is what works for me and while I'd like to go 5 times a week like I used to - I'm just not able to do it now.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I do a "body pump" class during my lunch hour on Tuesday/Thursdays, and then on the mornings on saturdays. And then I have my own elliptical at home and I usually do that in the evening - sometime between 6-9. I try to do an hour in two 1/2 hour sessions, and I do it at my leisure.
  • OlibecaMom
    Options
    I have struggled with this for a long time and finally decided a month ago that I needed to just make a plan and stick with it. I work 30-40 minutes from home and work 10+ hours/4 days a week. So, honestly, days like yesterday stink for family time. I left the house at 6:15 am, picked up my kids at 6 pm, went to Zumba, and then the kids and I got home at 7:40 pm. However, although the day is long and I miss out on some time with my family, I know in the end, the choice to go to the gym for an hour a few times a week is worth it in the end if I am happier, healthier, and am able to live longer. My 5 year old told me the other day that I love the gym more than her (which if you knew me is REALLY funny because I hate working out) but I added up the hours I am home compared to the gym. 100+ with my kids compared to 3-4 at the gym. Luckily the other days I go are my days off so it's pretty easy to fit in an hour then have the rest of the day... Best of luck as you figure out what your plan is. :happy:
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    Workout DVDs! My two favorites are both by Jillian Michaels. 30 Day Shred and Ripped In 30. I am actually rotating between the two workouts. So I'm doing them both at the same time. They are both a little under 30 minutes, but they give you a great workout! :)

Hope that's helps! Good luck to you :)
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate to be able to go to the gym on my lunch hour.

If I am working out or running in the evening I do it as soon as I get home. I go and change and I'm out the door. My family knows this and husband does his workout then and my daughter often comes on her bicycle with me when I run.

Where there is a will there is a way.

K
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I bought a treadmill and walk on it wheile watching tv. This assumes time for TV of course. And room/money for a treadmill.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I run three days aweek, cycle three days, and strength train two or three. When I run or cycle I can do so from my front door and just map out loops that get me home when I need to be there. In the winter I don't cycle but do cardio dvd's at home. For strength training I have dumbbells and a weight bench and do everything at home. In the winter I do P90X or Supreme 90 Day. All of this lets me exercise 9 to 14 hours a week and burn 5,000 to 6,500 calories or more at times of my convenience and all at or close to home. Works for me!
  • Missy0104
    Options
    Time is my biggest obstacle. Working full time with 3 kids leaves little "me time". I schedule my nights in advance each week so that my hubby knows which nights I'll be at the gym after work and he gets his nights too. Weekends we each take time. Tonight is his night so I was an extra good doobie and got up early and worked out before the kids got up so that I didn't loose a day (but normally I'm NOT a morning person so I schedule evenings and then extra kudos to me if I actually do get up additional mornings LOL).
  • SheWei
    SheWei Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. I need to make time for ME without feeling guilty. I will stick to working out 3 or 4 times a week when I get off early and find workout dvds to use at home or hop on my gazelle while I watch TV.

Good luck to you all.