Hit my GW, but now I'm going to have trouble eating more cal

Options
I updated my fitness profile thing to just stay at my current weight. Stupid thing gave me an extra 400 calories a day. I was having trouble eating the 1800 calories I was given, as I've changed my eating habits and actually feel full after eating a lot less. For instance, today I have 1674 calories remaining and only dinner to eat it (a huge, pigout dinner is 900 calories for me...typically I eat 600 calories or so at dinner). Not sure what I'm supposed to do so I don't keep losing, as I'm kind of at a weight I'm comfortable with. I do want to lose a little more fat, but I'm also adding muscle. Hmm...

Replies

• mjfinch91
    Options
    Knock back a protein shake with a couple scoops of Casein protein powder before bed every night.
  • russelljclarke
    russelljclarke Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I'm with you mate. What I did was snacked on stuff like nuts, figs, oranges etc. These eat up your allowance without bloating you. Even a glass of milk won't go amiss, provided it is a glass, not 3 or 4!
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I would say the easiest way to kick back 400 more calories a day would be to do 2 protein shakes a day. AM and PM. Ya don't want to load up on junk food and if you are already full, stuffing your face with more dinner isn't going to make you feel good.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If you do a search, you can find similar topics in the message boards... You don't really need to eat more if you don't want to - just switch to regular yogurt, 2% or 4% milk, full fat salad dressing, real butter, cook things in an extra few tsps of olive oil, add more nuts to your salad, whatever!

Congrats on hitting your GW!
  • CMomma23
    CMomma23 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    A bigger breakfast to fuel your day should help! I am guilty of always making my breakfast small and dinner big... when it should be the other way around :)
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, but I started with good habits when I had the problem.
    You need to change your habits before you can conquer that one. Ergo.... eating larger meals throughout the day so you're not sitting in the situation where you are now, cramming it in. Preplanning exercise.

As to getting more, believe when I tell you I know how hard it is. At first, youll feel like crap... but if health is your goal, and not just skinny vanity (i dont know any many that wants to be skinny, so i highly doubt that) then you have to just suck it up, and shovel it in.
    If you're looking to gain muscle, it doesnt take an extra 4000 calories. you can add 20% of maint cals and build.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Go to Mcdonalds! LOL! Nah, just kidding. I had the same issue. I have a few calories here and there. Good thing is, I like eating. So I have no problems making up those calories so I can maintain. I can actually have that coffee coolatta I crave once in a while. You'll find your groove. Take care and good work on meeting your goal. Just stay disciplined.
  • jakemg
    jakemg Posts: 42
    Options
    Knock back a protein shake with a couple scoops of Casein protein powder before bed every night.

I already do this. :( Maybe two protein shakes? Or maybe stop using skim milk and switch over to 2%?

The big problem is that I'm super comfortable with what I'm eating now. I'm actually upset that I need to eat so much more now.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Quick peek at your diary. Get rid of the Special K cereal/bars for something more substantial. Increase to 1% or 2% milk. Full fat dressing (made with healthy olive oil) instead of light (which is usually full of added sugar anyways). I don't see too many fruits and vegetables, so add a few of those. You can drizzle a little olive oil on your veggies too.

Eating more calories doesn't always mean eating more food. You just have to make substitutions. I just moved to maintenance a little while ago - traded my light yogurt for greek (2x as many calories but 3x as much protein) and my rice cakes for almonds.
  • jakemg
    Options
    Quick peek at your diary. Get rid of the Special K cereal/bars for something more substantial. Increase to 1% or 2% milk. Full fat dressing (made with healthy olive oil) instead of light (which is usually full of added sugar anyways). I don't see too many fruits and vegetables, so add a few of those. You can drizzle a little olive oil on your veggies too.

Eating more calories doesn't always mean eating more food. You just have to make substitutions. I just moved to maintenance a little while ago - traded my light yogurt for greek (2x as many calories but 3x as much protein) and my rice cakes for almonds.

Definitely a go on the changing the milk from skim. I always buy fruit, but rarely eat it. I was getting sick of the Special K bars anyway, but I do love Special K as cereal, so maybe I'll just eat a little more than a cup.

Good idea, too, on the yogurt. The light stuff is full of fake sugar/splenda, which I try to avoid.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Also, there is a maintenance thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/191617-maintenance-thread

Several of us have suggested that there be a forum section for maintainers, but until then random threads will have to do :-) Congrats, by the way, on reaching your goal!
  • jakemg
    Options
    Also, there is a maintenance thread here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/191617-maintenance-thread

Several of us have suggested that there be a forum section for maintainers, but until then random threads will have to do :-) Congrats, by the way, on reaching your goal!

Thanks. I'm absolutely going to bookmark this. :D