Olympic Ski Team Diet

13»

Replies

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    It works the same way as any other diet - you take in less calories than you burn.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    nemesis714 wrote: »
    But there is bread and fruit which is not low carb. If the diet doesnt work, why are people still using it and saying it works?

It only works if you are in a calorie deficit.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Such an odd diet. I may try it just as an experiment. Does anyone know exactly how this diet makes you lose weight?

What the hell for? Don't be gullible. That's what keeps the fitness industry rich.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    But there is bread and fruit which is not low carb. If the diet doesnt work, why are people still using it and saying it works?

Who is telling you they are using it? Some "influencer" type person promoting a YouTube channel or Pinterest page?

There were a number of similar crash diets that only "work" by manipulating your water weight.
    Many date back to the pre-internet days and got passed around by various means (photocopies, fax, email chains, etc). They all have similar themes: "magic" food combinations, sharp reductions in sodium and carbs, and near vlcd calories. The person sheds a bunch of water, tells their friends, then gains it back promptly (but almost never tells anyone about the regain).

Sadly, each time one of these diets surfaces again, there's going to be new people insisting that there must be some validity to it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Such an odd diet. I may try it just as an experiment. Does anyone know exactly how this diet makes you lose weight?

Same way all diets work:

h27zjawgvyoy.jpg
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    The diet listed, is it the off season diet so they can maintain their physic? During the olympics and practice for olympics athletes eat at lot of carbs to fuel their muscles, this diet you shared barely have carbs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    The diet listed, is it the off season diet so they can maintain their physic? During the olympics and practice for olympics athletes eat at lot of carbs to fuel their muscles, this diet you shared barely have carbs.

I can guarantee that no Olympic Ski Team (or really any athletic team with a modicum of sense) is using this diet in any capacity.

ETA: Found an interesting link with the history of this scam. Apparently the Consumer Protection Division of the US Postal Service filed a mail stop order against the perpetrators of this fraud. In 1972!

https://www.usps.com/judicial/1972deci/1-139.htm

ETA-2: The same link was posted upthread.

This^

Low fat makes me think 1980's. Low carb - great for water weight loss, but combined with low fat = a very low calorie diet overall. I agree, no athletic association is using this plan.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member

Even if it was in the off season, there's no way any elite athlete would be able to sustain the amount of energy they need to train on that diet. It's not as if the off season means you just stop doing any sort of training.

Oh zombie threads, how I question thee
  • nemesis714
    nemesis714 Posts: 4 Member

Although this is a zombie thread I will respond to your question. This diet is at least 50 years old. No it doesn't work. I'm 62 years old and I did this diet when I was 12! Lol, I can't believe it's resurfaced. The "instant" weight loss is water due to the low carb effect.

This is the internet and were all here to read and learn. Dont feel obligated to respond to a "zombie thread". Some of us havent been glued to this site as long as you.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 424 Member
    I did this diet back in the early 1990s in my high school days: it was in one of my mom's dieting books under a heading something like "diets models follow". You lose weight from the calorie deficit. I remember headaches from not eating enough and being completely sick of eggs and grapefruit before the end. Counting calories is a far less painful way to lose weight. Nowadays, I ask myself if any change in my diet is one I can stick to forever, and if it is not, then the weight I've lost will return inevitably.
  • bwmiller77
    bwmiller77 Posts: 1 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    It works the same way as any other diet - you take in less calories than you burn.

You take in between 800 to 1000 calories per day. you also go low carb so you get some initial benefit by going into fat burning mode. some bread and fruit salad may reset your metabolism a bit too. and coffee obviously speeds up both metabolism and your MMC so food doesnt get over absorbed. 20 LBS is a bold claim without exercise. Ive lost that much with excersise in two weeks (22 Lbs) but I was also 29 years old. I have done this diet on and off for the last 30 years or so and generaly lose about 13 to 16 lbs each time. I can keep most of it off until the holidays or so but the water weight comes back no matter what. so subtract 2-3 pounds from that. so a net of 10 to 13? I'll take it when i need it!
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    bwmiller77 wrote: »
    I have done this diet on and off for the last 30 years or so and generaly lose about 13 to 16 lbs each time. I can keep most of it off until the holidays or so but the water weight comes back no matter what. so subtract 2-3 pounds from that. so a net of 10 to 13? I'll take it when i need it!

So you think a Yo-Yo diet is a good thing? Healthy? Something you "need" from time to time?

I hope for your sake, that you will stick around the forum and pay attention to the science backed comments and advice that are freely offered. These old zobie threads aren't doing you much good.