Extreme diet insomnia please help

Options
Hi all when dieting I get extreme insomnia just when restricting my calories and the thing is sometimes it’s not even by a lot- if I do 1600/1700 days I still get it. I have tried everything I’m averaging on three hours sleep per night. I am so alert when going to sleep and my eyes are like spaceships. I have tried magnesium citrate, herbal sleep supplements, 5htp and also magnesium oil on my pillow and all over my skin before sleep... nothing is working for me, I take all of these at the same time and they don’t even touch the sides. I have also tried banana before bed, milky drink before bed. PLEASE if someone is going through this too and has found a solution please let me know I also get it when I do 5:2 but didn’t sleep at all for two days. At the moment it literally is stay fat or don’t sleep :-( it really sucks please help

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Melatonin can help if you haven't tried that.

Have you tried playing with your meal frequencies/timings/macros. If it's is literally only when you're restricting eating then it could be that you're still hungry or perhaps that you're anxious about losing weight. 1600/1700 may still be too low depending on what your stats are (that would put me at a 1500 calorie deficit on an active day).

Have you tried all the other general suggestion tied in with sleep hygiene:
    • Reducing Caffeine, Sugar and other stimulants a couple of hours before bed.
    • Limiting access to phone/tv/tablets/laptops before bed or using a blue light filter.
    • Trying to keep to a routine.
    • Keeping bedroom as a "sanctuary" for sleep i.e. eliminating clutter/work stuff.
    • Avoiding exercise before bed.
    • Meditation/Yoga
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I've found that shutting off all screens well before bedtime helps me some. I have chronic insomnia and looking at any type of technology before bed makes it worse. No television, tablet, computer, or phone screens are allowed in my bedroom! I try to shut them off at least an hour before bed.
  • kellyrosiebuxton
    kellyrosiebuxton Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Will try the phone thing but have no tv phone etc in bedroom will try to restrict use until 8pm I just feel so alert and jittery I always sweat too when dieting it’s like my body is just really against it
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about your daily caffeine intake if you're feeling alert and jittery. Also at what time are you eating your last meal?

I have chronic insomnia as well. Melatonin, diphenhydramine (Benadryl) and kava tea can all be helpful.

Also are you waking at the same time each morning? Taking daily naps?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any diet supplements when trying to lose weight?
  • texasredreb
    Options
    Until you get used to no screens before bed, BUT it might get worse especially if you are really attached to your technology. You'll be worried that you are missing something and that will cause anxiety. That happened to me for a while--a little withdrawl over not having the phone within arm's reach, but now I don't miss it. I also shut off 99% of my contact's list from being able to contact me after 9:00pm. I only leave my sister and my father as able to get in touch with me 24/7. That way no one blows up my phone with texts or calls when I am trying to get my relax on.
  • robthephotog
    robthephotog Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Im with the others. Sounds like anxiety and hunger. Also no caffeine past 5pm.

What do you do during the day? Might need to up your activity levels as well.

Could also try over the counter sleep meds for a couple days to get into a better sleep cycle.

If it continues id go talk to a doc though.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Melatonin has helped me with my insomnia, as has the Stop, Breathe and Think app, which has a nice guided meditation for falling asleep. The other stuff already mentioned is definitely a good idea. If that doesn't work, sleep meds are a blessing. It's worth talking to your doctor to see if there is something they can prescribe that will help.
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, and have found melatonin and excedrin pm to be helpful.
  • texasredreb
    Options
    UGH, my above post is a spectacular editing fail...

OTC meds become less effective the more often you use them.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I get on and off insomnia, esp when I’m pushing myself hard in the gym (maybe too hard). Melatonin and the Headspace app sleep wind downs work for me (usually). Previously I’d just listen to the same familiar audiobook over and over again and that helped me zone out.
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Be honest. Are you supplimenting these dieting periods with “fat burners” or other things not normally in your routine? It really seems like you’re having caffeine issues (a common ingredient in any pill in the diet industry).
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Benadryl, if necessary.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising soon before bed? Exercising at night makes it harder for some people to sleep.

Other than that, as someone who cannot take most OTC sleep medicine, I use melatonin when necessary. Start with a very small dose—I began with 0.25 mg. I bought 1 mg tablets and cut them into quarters. Most people who take melatonin use far more than needed.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Are you exercising soon before bed? Exercising at night makes it harder for some people to sleep.

Other than that, as someone who cannot take most OTC sleep medicine, I use melatonin when necessary. Start with a very small dose—I began with 0.25 mg. I bought 1 mg tablets and cut them into quarters. Most people who take melatonin use far more than needed.

Good advice.

https://www.sleep.org/articles/how-much-melatonin-to-take/

...Just the right dose can help you sleep peacefully.

For the millions of people who have trouble falling—and staying—asleep, melatonin can sometimes be the solution. The powerful hormone is naturally produced in your brain and sends the message to your body that it’s nighttime and time to hit the hay. You can also take it as a supplement—it’s sold over-the-counter at your local drugstore.

People commonly make the mistake of assuming that taking higher doses of melatonin will lead to better shut-eye. But the opposite is true: Too much taken at once can cause headaches, nausea, dizziness, or irritability, all of which can disrupt your sleep. So talk to your doctor, who may suggest these dosage guidelines:

For Insomnia or Occasional Sleeplessness

Between two tenths of a milligram and five milligrams 60 minutes before bedtime is a typical dose for adults, while children should take a smaller dose. Too much melatonin can disrupt your sleep cycle, so start with the smallest dose of two tenths of a milligram and increase it as needed.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    msalicia07 wrote: »
    Be honest. Are you supplimenting these dieting periods with “fat burners” or other things not normally in your routine? It really seems like you’re having caffeine issues (a common ingredient in any pill in the diet industry).

Because the OP has insomnia? Believe it or not, insomnia is a common side effect when limiting your calories. Especially when fasting.

Yep. My husband has chronic insomnia despite eating at maintenance. I oversleep if anything, but if I go to bed hungry it takes me way longer to fall asleep.

OP, have you tried eating something small right before bed? The other day I woke up in the middle of the night really hungry so I got up, made some oatmeal, went back to bed. Fell asleep almost immediately. Otherwise the screen advice and limiting caffeine sounds good.