Short ladies - Motivation Thread

Options
Looking for some motivation and to give some support and motivation to ladies on the shorter side.
I'm 4ft 10 with around 10lbs to lose to get to my goal. Doesn't sound so hard I know, but I have been at it for months losing around 0.5lb to 1lb per month.
I try to stick to around 1400 Kcals per weekday and 1400-1800 on the weekend where I am more active.
I do 3-4 cardio sessions per week, 2-3 advanced Pilates classes. I also ice skate for around 8-10 hours per week, plus off-ice training and ride my horse maybe 2-3 hours per week.

If I was larger, the weight would be dropping off, but as I'm already small, it's taking a long time, and a meal out or a weekend away can be a MAJOR set back. If I gain 2 lbs, it takes me a month to lose it.

I'm determined to stick with it and keep slowly ticking off the pounds, but I really need to hear some success stories from other shorter ladies who are going through a similar journey.
Especially today when my 5'11" team mate has lost 3 stone since January and eats double what I eat with no exercise. It really makes me feel down

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am a short woman!

And I also am not obese but have a small amount of weight to lose. As a petite woman, the weight is difficult to lose.

Years ago, I was an exericise junkie, bodybuilder, and fitness instructor. My workout routine was heavy. And I was never able to really lose weight. Some of this was because I had a lot of muscle (and muscle weighs more than fat), but most of it was because I overexercised. I know this now, that I don't do anything but yoga and meditation, walking, and gardening, and some light dancing and weight lifting.

Sometimes you may need to cut down on exercise in order to lose weight if you suffer from situations such as adrenal fatigue or hormonal imbalances, or stress. Or, sometimes you really don't eat enough to allow the body to lose weight when you exercise a lot. That is just my own experience. Best of luck to you!

Jenn
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Fellow shorty here, but not THAT short. LOL You are doing everything right by the sound of things and losing at the expected rate. It just takes time. It took me about 3 months to lose 10-12lbs. You will get there!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm short myself! I'm 5'0". I know a little weight makes a big difference on a small frame.

I ate a pretty good deficit when I first started losing weight and the weight just fell off, but I had more to lose. I lost the first 35lbs over 6 months losing quickly. I maintained for a few months and lost the last 5lbs over about 3 months losing slow. Slow is better.

Sounds like you work out a lot! I lift 3-4 days a week for about 1 hour and I'm otherwise a fairly active person as I'm a SAHM with 3 small kids.
  • babytanuki
    babytanuki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow you work out a lot! I'm too lazy for that. 5' over here. I do the 1250 or 1350 calorie range. I go up and down because I tend to stop tracking my calories once I hit my goal... Keep at it though! Sounds like you found what works for you. This time I swear I'll keep tracking. I fluctuate between 116 to 138. Easy gainer and loser though.
  • Jess_Heartson11
    Jess_Heartson11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm short myself! I'm 5'0". I know a little weight makes a big difference on a small frame.

I ate a pretty good deficit when I first started losing weight and the weight just fell off, but I had more to lose. I lost the first 35lbs over 6 months losing quickly. I maintained for a few months and lost the last 5lbs over about 3 months losing slow. Slow is better.

Sounds like you work out a lot! I lift 3-4 days a week for about 1 hour and I'm otherwise a fairly active person as I'm a SAHM with 3 small kids.

I think I might take a leaf out of your book and add more weight training into my cardio routines. Agree slow is better.
    A little weight definitely makes a big difference though. I've lost about 6lbs over 4-5months, and I can definitely feel the difference.
  • LobstersAndCrabsticks
    Options
    I feel like a giant now,at 5"1 But I'm in the same position! Have really decided to make use of this app though so want to get some friends as motivators!