Calorie Calculator

Options
Hey guys!!
What is the best online Calorie Calculator!?
I’ve looked at quite a few and managed to get quite different results varying from about 500 calories either way

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    awickham1 wrote: »
    Hey guys!!
    What is the best online Calorie Calculator!?
    I’ve looked at quite a few and managed to get quite different results varying from about 500 calories either way

I wouldn't say there's such a thing as "best". All of these calculators are providing you with an estimate based on population statistics and various algorithms. It's just a reasonably good estimate to get started and from there you adjust per your actual results.

You also need to understand what method the calculator is using...some calculators like MFP use the NEAT method and others use the TDEE method. The NEAT method does not include exercise in your activity level and you account for exercise after the fact by logging it and getting additional calories. A TDEE calculator rolls up all of your activity in your activity level, including exercise and thus you get a higher starting number.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I like MyFitnessPal the best as it accounts for exercise in the way I like. As a cyclist my exercise varies enormously day to day, week to week, even season to season.

If you want a TDEE calculator then maybe give sailrabbit a try as it has six different formulae.
    https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/

I would probably discard the highest and lowest estimates and then take the middle value of the remainder.
    Remember it's just an estimate and particularly for exercise and activity it's very broad strokes and pretty vague (what's the duration and intensity of your exercise for example?).

Even if an estimate is very accurate there's every chance your food logging won't be. Just regard it as a start point from which to adjust after 4 weeks or so.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Assuming you are talking about TDEE calculators, they are all going to be estimates. Pick one, track for a while and adjust. Or you can take an average of a bunch of them and go with that number. Either way, your actual results will be your guide.