Problems with CICO - article critiquing it, not dismissing it entirely.

Options

Replies

• shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    The average person is eating a variety of foods. The differences might become very relevant in the context of monodiets, but are they relevant in the context of the person who is eating beef, soda, broccoli, bread, yogurt, cucumbers, egg salad, apples, and almonds?

In other words, if a person is eating a reasonable variety of foods, does it really matter if the calorie retention of average food "types" is somewhat variable? I've seen people speculating that the difference is meaningful, but never anything beyond speculation.

I don't believe it has been studied, honestly. Most of what I've seen is anecdotal. Many times with people who switch from more carb heavy diets - not refined carbs, just carbs - to higher protein ones with similar calorie levels, and do better with weigh tloss. Or who switch to smaller meals through out the day and lose weight - similar calorie levels, according to CICO.

That's not research, obviously, so I'll be interested to see how much of an impact it does make, years from now when hopefully we are having more studies on how these factors impact things.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I can't tell, is the article actually about CICO or is it about calorie counting as it's often practiced? Because the CICO equation takes all of these things into account already. I don't see how anyone can say it's a problem with CICO when they actually mean calorie counting. The two are separate, but related, things and I think it would help more people if we could keep them separate instead of conflating them every single time an article about calorie counting pops up.

Calorie counting can be imprecise and messy and takes some trial and error at times. But that does not change the calorie equation in your body. CICO has no inaccuracies. Calorie counting does. The two are not the same. And these discussions go round and round because they get all tangled up together.

QFT!
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Again, I think that it's important to be clear about this because it helps people to understand what's going on and having more information can guide people in how to adjust their weight management plan with less struggle.

CICO is not the same as calorie counting. And conflating the two, as has happened several times in this thread, is why these posts go round in circles.

CICO is science. It's a description of what's happening in your body.
    Calorie counting is a method of observing and affecting CICO in order to get a desired outcome.

Calorie counting is a verb. It's a thing you can do or use. CICO is a noun. It's a thing that's happening.

So, let's get an analogy going. If I came into this thread and said that gravity doesn't work the same for everyone I suspect that I would get a whole bunch of woos and a whole bunch of posts trying to explain why I'm wrong. But aha! Some people fall faster than others. Some are more likely to trip. Cats always land on their feet! People use different types of gravimeters and some of them don't work as well as others. Some people have faulty gravimeters or no gravimeter at all. They don't experience gravity the same way that others do so gravity is not the same for everyone.

That's preposterous, of course. Gravity on earth exerts the same force on everyone, whether they can measure it properly or not. Likewise, the CICO equation works the same way in everyone. There are many variables in that equation that make people different, but the long, drawn out, complicated equation works the same for everyone.

The problem is not that CICO is faulty but that calorie counting can be faulty. CICO is what it is. CICO does what it does. And understanding the difference between CICO and calorie counting can help people to understand where to turn their attention and energy when their plan isn't working. You can change your calorie counting methodology. You cannot change how CICO works.

I understand the distinction, but I think this article is taking on both to a certain extent. It is saying not only that calorie counting is flawed, but that the idea of the calorie is flawed. It is saying that there is no such thing really as a calorie, that the 4-4-9 breakdown we use isn't accurate. That different carbs, protein, etc all have different energy levels associated with them and shouldn't be treated the same. That different bodies process energy differently so a calorie for one may not be the same as a calorie for another.

To me that goes beyond just questioning whether calorie counting can be accurate. It seems like it is taking to task using calorie as a unit of measurement at all.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Again, I think that it's important to be clear about this because it helps people to understand what's going on and having more information can guide people in how to adjust their weight management plan with less struggle.

CICO is not the same as calorie counting. And conflating the two, as has happened several times in this thread, is why these posts go round in circles.

Calorie counting is a method of observing and affecting CICO in order to get a desired outcome.

Calorie counting is a verb. It's a thing you can do or use. CICO is a noun. It's a thing that's happening.

So, let's get an analogy going. If I came into this thread and said that gravity doesn't work the same for everyone I suspect that I would get a whole bunch of woos and a whole bunch of posts trying to explain why I'm wrong. But aha! Some people fall faster than others. Some are more likely to trip. Cats always land on their feet! People use different types of gravimeters and some of them don't work as well as others. Some people have faulty gravimeters or no gravimeter at all. They don't experience gravity the same way that others do so gravity is not the same for everyone.

That's preposterous, of course. Gravity on earth exerts the same force on everyone, whether they can measure it properly or not. Likewise, the CICO equation works the same way in everyone. There are many variables in that equation that make people different, but the long, drawn out, complicated equation works the same for everyone.

The problem is not that CICO is faulty but that calorie counting can be faulty. CICO is what it is. CICO does what it does. And understanding the difference between CICO and calorie counting can help people to understand where to turn their attention and energy when their plan isn't working. You can change your calorie counting methodology. You cannot change how CICO works.

I understand the distinction, but I think this article is taking on both to a certain extent. It is saying not only that calorie counting is flawed, but that the idea of the calorie is flawed. It is saying that there is no such thing really as a calorie, that the 4-4-9 breakdown we use isn't accurate. That different carbs, protein, etc all have different energy levels associated with them and shouldn't be treated the same. That different bodies process energy differently so a calorie for one may not be the same as a calorie for another.

To me that goes beyond just questioning whether calorie counting can be accurate. It seems like it is taking to task using calorie as a unit of measurement at all.

to answer the bolded... that does not mean CICO isn't correct, as that means the CI or CO side of the equation could be different person to person. But, at no time is the energy absorbed for a calorie consumed greater than one calorie. If you don't absorb all the food, CI is less than you thought, or if it takes more energy to breakdown, that increases the CO, but doesn't change the fact that weight management still comes down to energy balance

As for the second part, they don't offer a better way to measure the energy balance in the body though, until that can be accomplished CICO is the best we have, and as we currently know it, Counting Calories and watching your weight confirms this (assuming you are tracking CI and CO accurately as you can)
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

to answer the bolded... that does not mean CICO sin't correct, as that means the CI or CO side of the equation could be different person to person. But, at no time is the energy absorbed for a calorie consumed greater than one calorie. If you don't absorb all the food, CI is less than you thought, or if it takes more energy to breakdown, that increases the CO, but doesn't change the fact that weight managment still comes down to CICO

As for the second part, they don't offer a better way to measure the energy balance in the body though, until that can be accomplished CICO is the best we have, and as we currently know it, Counting Calories and watching your weight confirms this (assuming you are tracking CI and CO accurately as you can)

They aren't disputing the idea energy in vs energy out, but they do seem to be trying to say that calorie is not a proper measure of energy (it is titled "Death of the Calorie" after all). I am not defending their hypothesis. I don't agree with it. But I think the take that they're just questioning calorie counting is inaccurate. I think they are going after the very idea of the calorie, which I interpret as going after "C"I"C"O
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

to answer the bolded... that does not mean CICO sin't correct, as that means the CI or CO side of the equation could be different person to person. But, at no time is the energy absorbed for a calorie consumed greater than one calorie. If you don't absorb all the food, CI is less than you thought, or if it takes more energy to breakdown, that increases the CO, but doesn't change the fact that weight managment still comes down to CICO

They aren't disputing the idea energy in vs energy out, but they do seem to be trying to say that calorie is not a proper measure of energy (it is titled "Death of the Calorie" after all). I am not defending their hypothesis. I don't agree with it. But I think the take that they're just questioning calorie counting is inaccurate. I think they are going after the very idea of the calorie, which I interpret as going after "C"I"C"O

I get that that is what they are saying, and that you don't agree. But if it isn't that, then what is it... and why does CICO, meet expectations (when meticulously tracking) with Fat/weight loss you would expect based on CICO, after accounting for metabolic differences?
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking and with the normal population (ie: people without a hormonal disorder and people not undergoing a stressful event), CICO hands down works for Fat Burning. What I want to say, is that under normal conditions CICO is pretty reliable. It's just when our bodies are "out of whack" that CICO rules do not work the same way.