Diet Sodas

Options
domi09
domi09 Posts: 24 Member
I have about 2 diet sodas (12oz) a day. Okay maybe 3... It's like instead of coffee every morning I need a diet soda. What's your thought about drinking diet sodas, and how did you stop drinking them.

Replies

• lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I say drink them if you want them. They're not the healthiest thing, but if drinking one or three a day helps keep your motivation and energy up to workout, then just do it. I drink a diet coke on my way to the gym at 3am. If it weren't 3am when I left the house, I would probably just drink water. But that diet coke makes the drive more enjoyable at that hour and helps me get into the zone for my workout.
  • erica2h
    erica2h Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    :smile: I like to have one every now and then too just for a taste of something different than water.I love the cherry coke zero, and sometimes I am tired and need that little caffeine kick.I would enjoy 1 a day and not feel bad about it!:smile:
  • kmumansky
    kmumansky Posts: 119
    Options
    They aren't super healthy but as long as you still are getting all your water in it's probably okay.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Here lately I've done kind of a little trick where I tell myself I can have a can of diet soda, but I have to drink 32 oz of water first. Usuall, by the time I get the water down, the soda is the last thing I want.
  • RDH77
    RDH77 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to have a serious, I mean 12 pack in two days, serious problem with drinking Diet Coke prior to going to school to be a Dental Hygienist. Loved the stuff. However, the acidity of diet soda (any soft drink for that matter) as well as just the fact it's chemical in nature and has no nutritional value whatsoever, I had to cut it out of my life. I also realized that my teeth were becoming sensitive. I was essentially eroding the enamel right off of my teeth with this bad habit. I quit the habit and now choose water instead. I will still have the occasional treat of it if we are out to eat, but I no longer buy it or drink it on a regular basis. I think what really helped me was realizing the impact it had on the health of my teeth and body and just not buying it and make the choice to have water instead.

Do you not like Coffee and that is why you chose the diet soda? Coffee in moderation actually has health benefits.
  • SpectacuLaura
    SpectacuLaura Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just stopped cold turkey one day and switched to zero calorie kool-aid-like stuff as a transition. Now I drink really only water (or alcohol lol) It sucks for awhile, but you really do feel better. Now if I have a soda on a very rare occasion, I can't even finish a whole can without feeling bloated and gross. It's a major adjustment if you're used to having a lot of soda, but you can do it. Replacing it with a better, but still sweet tasting drink worked for me. Best of luck! :)
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    You are going to get lots of opinions on this....I say drink them!!!!! I have 2-3 a day and it has not hindered my weight loss at all!!!!!

You still need to enjoy life!!! Diet soda is part of life! I love mine!
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    When I'm at work and have overwhelming urges to snack on the crap behind the bar I drink diet soda to give my taste buds something with flavor that's filling...the carbonation fills me up:)
  • Chunkabutt83
    Options
    i still drink quite a bit of diet soda, i used to drink 6-7 regular pepsis a day so i give in to the diet, at least i dont drink all those calories anymore
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Here lately I've done kind of a little trick where I tell myself I can have a can of diet soda, but I have to drink 32 oz of water first. Usuall, by the time I get the water down, the soda is the last thing I want.
    I do the same thing...I try not to drink a diet drink unless i've had lots of water. When I started drinking more water the weight came off faster.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I'll only drink it if it has Jack in it.
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I drank Diet Coke for years and never thought anything wrong with it. I quit last December due to cost - my husband's out of work. Recently I read that women who drink diet sodas have larger waist measurements than those who don't, and I thought wow!
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I drink a diet soda when I want to snack instead. I love them lol. If diet soda actually made you fat, I'd still be obese. There are some more natural diet sodas, crystal light, and vitamin water 0, etc. They all taste good, but I TRY to go for it all in moderation because soda is full of artificial stuff.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I started drinking ginger ale to get of off sodas. Then I started getting the small bottles (half the size of a regular soda.) Then I just stopped and started drinking more water. Now, I can't drink a soda. I tried a few months ago and could only drink two swallows. It just fills you up with useless calories.

Good luck. You will feel so much better when you get off that junk.
  • momof3dll
    Options
    Well like you, I used to drink diet sodas all the time. Learning more about the negative effects it has on your body is what changed my mind about drinking them. It kills your kidney function, you can actually gain weight, bone loss, tooth enamel decay, and so on. Of course nobody is 100% sure as to why diet soda causes all of this. Most of the medical field contributes it to the artificial sweeteners. In any case I started weaning myself off of the sodas. I didn't want to get kicked in the *kitten* with the caffeine withdrawal headache!. I also switched to teas or coffee if I wanted a boost of energy. But I'm finding that I don't need that as often now with all the exercise I do and all the dang water I drink. I may have a soda once or twice a month but that's it. I feel better without it now. Believe me it takes time to get used to but if you're determined, you can do it!
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'll only drink it if it has Jack in it.

I like your profile pic. Is that Pine Mountain? I noticed the Georgia shirt.
  • gates1064
    gates1064 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/06/29/studies-why-diet-sodas-are-no-boon-to-dieters/

Some food or should I say drink for thought.

Drink uncaffinated tea with a bit a real sugar.
  • domi09
    domi09 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The older I get the more I like coffee... But it's usually not my first choice. I have picked up more crystal light, but probably still not enough of just plain o water.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Food for thought.

Disclaimer - I drink 'em too...

Preliminary research shows the problem with diet soda is it tricks the body into several responses. One is that when the mouth tastes sweet, such as cane sugar, the body responds with an increase in temperature to anticipate burning the calories off. Saccharine does not trigger this response. This leads to a sluggish feeling that is coupled with storing calories.
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1711763,00.html

Another point of view is the lack of sugar following the "I'm about to get some sugar" response of the body is a lack of satisfaction, which can lead to a false sense of hunger and reaching for more food.

"People who were drinking diet soft drinks - two or more per day - had a 57 per cent chance of becoming overweight."
    http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/health&id=4968592

The expert recommendations? To limit artificial sweetener intake and take note of the effects.

This is a pretty simplified view of the articles, but feel free to Google it and start with the articles above.
  • avarielle1215
    avarielle1215 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing to watch with Diet Sodas is the sodium levels. I would say that 1-2/day isn't a problem as long as you are getting other fluids too. As I have mentioned on another post or two, my new favorite thing is making calorie free Italian Sodas at home with sparkling water and sugar-free Torani syrups (such as French Vanilla).