Sushi... yay or nay?

Options
2»

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I love sushi! My favorite roll is dynamite roll. Outside of that I usually order unagi and the salmon nigri. Yum..... Don't do grocery store sushi tho, it has to be really fresh.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Yay. My favorite is the spicy tuna roll. Kinda boring I guess but it's good. I don't ever get the super fancy suhsi rolls, too expensive. lol.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Love it. My favourite is sashimi, salmon and tuna. Also spicy salmon roll.
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    The simplest of the roll are the most delicious: salmon roll, tuna roll, yellow tail, unagi.. with no extras on top.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I generally get a veggie maki roll for Friday lunch (because I know I'll probably be having 2/3 of my daily calories for dinner). Cucumber, carrot, red pepper and avocado. There's a shiitake-avocado-tempura one that I haven't bought in ages because I suck at eyeballing and have no idea how much tempura goes into the roll, but I do know it's a calorie-dense addition. I guess that one's probably my favorite, but I don't buy it often.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I don't typically do rolls. I like sashimi...tuna and salmon are my favorite.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Futo maki, literally translated to "fat roll" (...ha) is my usual go to. Its a little different everywhere you go, but it is on the whole a healthy roll, and usually includes pickled Daikon, shitake mushrooms, tamagoyaki, cucumber, and a few other veggies.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Yay. I remember not liking it much in the past, but last year, I bought grocery store sushi on a whim and found them quite tasty. I'm a sushi heathen though. I've read that sushi should not be microwaved to be warmed up, but I strongly prefer hot sushi.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't really love, but do like all of it except fatty tuna sashimi. It's a texture issue...it reminds me of raw chicken (not that I've eaten raw chicken). Most other sashimi and nigiri I've liked.

I find the rolls like tempura shrimp w/ tons of sauce are tasty but just taste like the sauce & shrimp, defeating the purpose for me. Avocado/green goddess rolls and spicy crab are my favorites!

For me I find it's pretty easy not to overdo it on the sushi. Some of my friends will get 3 rolls and several other items and spend $50+ for one person. I am way too cheap. Gimme that $10 roll and a couple pieces of sashimi and I'm good!
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Gross
    I tried eating sardines right out of the can once. I puked it all out. So it's a big no
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Gross
    I tried eating sardines right out of the can once. I puked it all out. So it's a big no

Good news! If you are in the US it is extremely unlikely that you will ever encounter sushi made with sardines. You can also get vegetarian sushi.

Iwashi! It’s sardine sushi 🍣 - I promise it tastes nothing like sardines in a can! Raw- its actually velvety meat like tuna. You can get it in NYC :)
    Just in case you are in the neighborhood.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I hate sushi. Hate it, hate it, hate it. HOWEVER, Rock N Roll Sushi just opened down the street from me, and my boyfriend and I have been there at least 3-4 times in the last month and I haven't eaten a bad thing there yet. Sushi rolls that I have had at other places just don't compare to this place.
    I lived in Japan for several years, as well, and just never liked it, no matter who made it.

Jealous that you lived in Japan! every time we are in Tokyo we eat at the fish market and this one place in Ginza. Going to go have Japanese food now because of this thread 😋
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I avoid the rolls...too much mayo and other stuff. Just the fish and rice for me. Or sometimes sashimi. Yum.
  • simmoner4
    simmoner4 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I’m the only “Nay”.
    I have never tried it because I have never liked rice.
    I don’t like sushi rice but LOVE sushi. Some places will make wraps - rice paper instead of rice. They are fantastic.