1200 calories is not right !

Options
2»

Replies

• Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    well you are very small .. what is your BMR ?

Edit: ... Your BMR would be 1187cal .. so i i wouldnt go under 1200 either ...

that said... i dont think you'd go in starvation mode under 1200 yet...

Personnally if id be you, i would EAT at least 1200 cal per day but, maybe i dould eat only half of the exercice calories...
    Like anyone... you gotta try some variation and see what does work for you .. just be sure you arent starving...
  • psychmz3
    psychmz3 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    According to the Harris-Benedict formula with your stats:

Sedentary with little to no exercise

Maintenance:
    1585 Calories/day

Fat Loss:
    1268 Calories/day
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, it seems i cant lose weight when i eat my 1200 cal per day..
    I usually try to keep around 1000 cal-day. And i do burn 500-800 cal. 6x a week. ( on a treadmill )
  • jridgway49
    Options
    ok checked again and my BMR is 1320, so now what
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, it seems i cant lose weight when i eat my 1200 cal per day..
    I usually try to keep around 1000 cal-day. And i do burn 500-800 cal. 6x a week. ( on a treadmill )

Sounds like your metabolism has slowed way down. Try eating maintenance calories for 3-4 weeks (you may gain a few pounds at first) then switch to a 1 lb/week weight loss goal. This will re kick start your metabolism.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ok checked again and my BMR is 1320, so now what

Ignore BMR and pay attention to maintenance calories, eat under that number and lose weight.
  • Penelope_373
    Penelope_373 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am no expert by any means but have always read, heard, seen, been told, etc... that 1200 is a minimum and should not be decreased unless under strict health care supervision. Your body requires calories just to breath while you sleep. Your body also requires calories for proper digestion. If you are not consuming enough calories just to function on a daily basis, I would be more worried about the stress on your organs than not losing weight, or gaining. It is about proper nutrition, not starving yourself. I would definitely look into the calculations again and make sure something didn't go awry.

Good luck to you!
  • Eleisabelle
    Options

If you're eating 1000 calories per day and burning off 500-800 almost every day, you're only allowing your body between 500-800 calories to maintain organ function, breathing, circulation, immunity, muscle maintenance, etc. That's not enough. Your body might be in starvation mode, which is why you can't let go of the fat. When we're starving, our metabolism decreases hugely, and we store fat. To maintain fat storage, the body then starts metabolizing muscle at a low rate.

Erik's right. Eat maintenance for a while to get your metabolism going again. Then maybe look at a more healthy food/exercise approach so that you don't starve yourself. That won't work.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    Sorry Jo Ann I don't know what to tell you but you have my support. I would just stick to your original calculations since you have lost weight. Good Luck
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    As a woman who is not far off 6' tall, I fail to understand how someone nearly a foot shorter (and built smaller) than I should have to ingest the same amount of calories/nutrients in order to be healthy.

Why is this magical 1200 the same for everyone?

If you ask me, I wouldn't worry too much about going 150 or so under the 'magic' 1200 if you're a small person.
  • jridgway49
    Options
    Thanks all, and I don't understand the 1200 calorie thing for someone who is tall,all the talk is about stavation mode, I know when i'm starving and I'm not with 1200 calories at all. I'm just going to try to get as close to 1200 and maybe eat some of my exercise back if I hungry...
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Why is this magical 1200 the same for everyone
    1200 is the calories it takes for an average woman to get sufficient nutrition. This site is simplistic, if like me you're not average, you have to educate yourself about the issues and make your own informed decisions.

Note - that is 1200 calories of real food, I'm sure there are many people repeating it parrot fashion who eat more than 1200 yet are not eating healthily.
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, and I don't understand the 1200 calorie thing for someone who is tall,all the talk is about stavation mode, I know when i'm starving and I'm not with 1200 calories at all. I'm just going to try to get as close to 1200 and maybe eat some of my exercise back if I hungry...

I really recommend seeing a nutritionist. If you have any concerns you should have a health expert clarify.