Spinach

Options
ShrinkingMama2
ShrinkingMama2 Posts: 65 Member
I bought frozen chopped spinach for my smoothies!

How else can I cook this?

I want to add it to my steak and potatoes for supper tonight!!!! Ideas?

Replies

• swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    ^ That's what I would do. You can also add a bit of cream and cheese if you can afford the calories. If you're adding the cream and cheese, make sure you squeeze the moisture out of the defrosted spinach.

How are you doing your potatoes? If you're doing mashed potatoes, you can just mix the spinach in there. Or, you can just mix it up with the potatoes no matter how you do them.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I use fresh spinach because I am a wimp when it comes to squeezing the water out of frozen. However...you can add it to casseroles or pasta dishes. I have several recipes that I add spinach to. I have even added it to rice. You can add some to burgers or meatloaf.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I also make an egg quiche that I had spinach to.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion to sautee with garlic in a little butter. I don't bother to defrost first if you have those little frozen pellets.

I also second mixing defrosted spinach into mashed potatoes. Good way to serve veg to kids in a way they probably won't object to and can't pick out. But don't mash potatoes in a blender or food processor. They can turn into a glue-like texture due to release of starch using faster mechanical methods. Mash potatoes by hand or with a potato ricer.

Fill an omelet with grated cheese and defrosted spinach.

Toss frozen spinach at the last minute into any braised dishes such as stews.

If you have a lot of leftover spinach or other veg make a veggie lasagna. Mix defrosted or sauteed spinach or any other soft finely diced leftover veg with cottage cheese. Make a bechamel sauce flavoured with grated hard cheese such as cheddar or parmesan. Layer bechamel, uncooked lasagna sheets and the veggie/cottge cheese mixture in a lasagna dish, ensuring you do not start or finish with uncooked pasta. Flatten everything down with a spatula. If serving on the same day let the raw lasagna pasta soften 5 hours before baking. Otherwise, cover in clingfilm, freeze and defrost in the morning in the fridge before cooking in the evening. Bake about 30 minutes at 160F until pasta pricks soft all the way down.
  • MADgical72
    MADgical72 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Florentine meatloaf or meatballs:
    1 pound ground chicken (or turkey)
    10 oz chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    1 egg
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan
    1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs (can add more if needed)
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    10 oz pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    3 cups cooked rice
    1/4 cup butter, melted (or less to taste)
    8 oz mushrooms, sliced
    2/3 cup sour cream (regular or lowfat)
    1/4 cup grated Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese
    salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients together. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I love spinach!
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I love spinach. We always get fresh spinach here - I wash the spinach, cut it into small pieces. Fry and egg with a little butter, as the egg is setting, I throw the spinach on top, put a lid on, switch off the heat. Wait a minute or two - spinach steams in its own moisture. Serve - add whatever spices you like. Also saw a Chinese recipe: wash spinach, cut into pieces. Fry onion / garlic / ginger in a wok, add spinach and a little soy sauce, put the lid on. Ready in seconds, enjoy. I usually add some fresh chili as well. Then there are so many quiches were spinach can be added as a filler. Great for parties / pique - niques.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Fresh is less work. I grab 2 handfulls, put in bowl and and sprinkle chicken broth powder over top and add a bit of water. Cover and microwave for 1.5 minutes. Mix and drain.
    The only bad part is its shrinks into nothingness.