Who Eats Squash? I am stuffed.

Options
Hey guys,

I ate half an acorn squash baked in the oven with only salt and pepper. I also had 1 chicken thigh with the skin...it stay full for several hours...I ate it for dinner went to sleep the next day I was not even hungry well into the afternoon. I am surprised at how filling and satiating it is...plus very low calorie.

The taste is pretty good too.

Has anyone else had this experience with squash?

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I find no matter what I eat for dinner, it doesn't affect how hungry I am next morning. My morning hunger is random. I could wake up hungry after a Christmas Eve feast, and be not hungry well into the afternoon after a lazy to-go cup of instant noodles.

I'm personally not a big fan of most types of winter squash. Most are too sweet for a vegetable. Same reason I don't like sweet potato.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love squash. All sorts. It doesn’t keep me full for several hours, though.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I've been buying spiralized butternut squash noodles. Roasted with a little salt, pepper, and maybe some rosemary, they're great!
  • Just_Jon
    Just_Jon Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Love it! I have it every day. Spaghetti squash and butternut. The best!
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    i quite like squash but no nothing keeps me that full. I eat squash for dinner and still have a bedtime snack and eat breakfast just fine...
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    We have a spiralizer and do squash along with veggies.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Squash is very filling for me, too. I love it! Homemade curried squash soup is something I have in my refrigerator all the time.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    I love winter squashes, summer squashes not so much (though I'm better now than when I was a kid). I eat squash pretty frequently, though it doesn't fill me up like you're describing.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    I love squash too- but I usually need more veggies to keep me full- so I might do squash of some sort with a serving or two(smile0 of mixed veggies or non starchy veggies and a little leanprotein and i am good to go for hours~!
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Ummm nope! I need to find "my squash" lol. Sounds wonderful!
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Acorn squash is pretty great and filling but it's not a zucchini kind calorie squash.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I can choke squash down....even sweet potatoes but there is a point when a gagfest hits :#
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash. I can't say it keeps me full the way you described though.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I love squash, though I am partial to Summer over Winter. I don't think it keeps me any fuller than any other veggies. The foods that are the most satiating for me are higher fat/moderate protein/low carb. Everyone is different.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I can choke squash down....even sweet potatoes but there is a point when a gagfest hits :#

I thought I was the only one! There’s something about the way squash tastes that makes me want to spit it out as soon as it’s in my mouth. My body says “Nope, get it out!”, unless it’s in pumpkin pie form.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I love squash, but I haven't noticed that it makes me feel full any more than any other food.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    In this case I'm out to buy squash pronto!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options

I thought I was the only one! There’s something about the way squash tastes that makes me want to spit it out as soon as it’s in my mouth. My body says “Nope, get it out!”, unless it’s in pumpkin pie form.

Oh good...its not just me! I felt like such a healthy vegetable failure :(
  • bluecrush84
    bluecrush84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Oh good...its not just me! I felt like such a healthy vegetable failure :(

You know, for me it depends on the squash...I am not a fan of spaghetti squash...but I love acorn, butternut and kombucha squash....those are a bit closer to a sweet potato taste