Mad cow! How to deal with aggressive cattle?

Options

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

At least the sharks aren’t a concern while I’m trail running 😂
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What country are you in?
    Oh my my, you were just out for a pleasant valley Sunday run. It's hard to believe at first, but with all the details, I'm a believer. I guess that cow wasn't born to follow. Next time just tell those cows you're not their stepping stone, then hop on the next train to Clarksville..Just remember, tomorrow's gonna be another day.
    Sorry, I'll go now...

I’m in Northern California 😎

And that was BRILLIANT!!! <3<3<3 You rock! 😃😃😃
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    Horns/no horns have nothing to do with age; some breeds are naturally polled (hornless), and others are removed as calves.

If not yearling bulls feeling that first rush of testosterone or mama cows with calves, truly just heifers, stand your ground and be aggressive back. If you run, they will chase you. Have a telescoping trekking pole with you. They are super pushy-curious and will half-circle/encircle you in the ducking/bobbing line of, but easy to fend off. The nose leather is the most sensitive part of if you have to poke/swat one with a pole tip. Clicking/clucking (like you do to a horse), whistling, and "shhhh, shhhh"ing sounds are what cattle are used to hearing to get them to move. Along with "Hup! Hup!" and "HA!" and "Get!" and other verbal yells you'd use to push/get something moving away from you.

If they are bulls, move slowly away and never take your eyes off of them. If you run, they will chase you and not be as benign as curious heifers.

Thanks for the info! Great stuff to know. I’ll keep it in mind next time I encounter them, just hopefully it’s not when we are already in motion like what happened, there was just no time to think at all and I just reacted by instinct 😅 I don’t think they allow the bulls out to pasture in the parks and open spaces but you never know 🤷‍♀️
  • RunsWithBees
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What country are you in?
    Oh my my, you were just out for a pleasant valley Sunday run. It's hard to believe at first, but with all the details, I'm a believer. I guess that cow wasn't born to follow. Next time just tell those cows you're not their stepping stone, then hop on the next train to Clarksville..Just remember, tomorrow's gonna be another day.
    Sorry, I'll go now...

Hug <3 Hug <3 Hug <3 😃😃😃 thank you for being so freakin’ awesome!!! Sometimes I’m apprehensive about posting in these forums because you never know what kind of responses you are gonna get and people behind keyboards can be brutal. You have made it a happy and worthwhile experience, I sincerely thank you 😊
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Animals get weird this time of year - it’s calve season and in my area pup season. They are all hormone crazy. I had a very territorial coyote almost attack me this morning on my normal trail who I suspect was guarding pups nearby.

Bright side - you probably hit some peak heart rate time! I know I did lol (I also got an extra 0.23 miles re-routing lol) I was also texting my husband the whole time back to the car just in case since I had to go by the same spot briefly to reach my car.
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    Animals get weird this time of year - it’s calve season and in my area pup season. They are all hormone crazy. I had a very territorial coyote almost attack me this morning on my normal trail who I suspect was guarding pups nearby.

Bright side - you probably hit some peak heart rate time! I know I did lol (I also got an extra 0.23 miles re-routing lol) I was also texting my husband the whole time back to the car just in case since I had to go by the same spot briefly to reach my car.

Yea maybe the cows just had a bit of spring fever 😅 all kinds of things flashed through my mind after I saw them heading towards me, like if I didn’t make it to safety my death certificate was gonna officially read “death by cattle” 😞
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Glad you are OK!
    Maybe run with a border collie to keep them in line 😂
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    OK my hubby found an article in UK. It said, walk slowly and face the cow. Don't run! Wave your arms and make noise.
  • RunsWithBees
    edited April 2019
    Options
    OK my hubby found an article in UK. It said, walk slowly and face the cow. Don't run! Wave your arms and make noise.

This would work if I hadn’t already been running when they appeared out of nowhere also running behind me 🥺 I was not about to stop and give them the benefit of the doubt that they would stop too, not when their leader was so close to me I could clearly see it’s eyelashes 😮 But next time if they aren’t already stampeding then I’ll definitely do this! Thank you!!! 😁😁😁 I like the border collie idea!
  • BecomingMoreAwesome
    BecomingMoreAwesome Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    That sounds terrifying. And here I freak out when a turkey sneaks up behind me and gobbles.
  • RunsWithBees
    Options
    That sounds terrifying. And here I freak out when a turkey sneaks up behind me and gobbles.

Oh, we have wild turkeys on the trails too! 😅
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options

Whoever wrote this article should probably test the theory... I own a Border Collie, btw, and he was running away, too... :D
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I opened this thread thinking it would be about mad cow disease, lol.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    not sure if you can see this video where you are but it might help -

https://facebook.com/FarmersGuardian/videos/vb.45093379305/579127269184471/?type=2&theater

they probably just wanted to play - they see you running and think it's fun. They sound like young bullocks, who are bring curious. Don't run, walk away, keep an eye on them. They'd probably back away if you started walking towards you, but don't test it out!!!
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    That sounds udderly ridiculous.

I like how you had a burger after as some form of revenge :joy:
  • biscuitforcefield
    biscuitforcefield Posts: 46 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    The important thing to remember is that cows are deeply stupid. This gets heightened around calving season (like, right now), and anything that moves too quickly is liable to be seen as a threat. Farmers and other people frequently get trampled by panicked cows, or crushed up against gates. If running with a dog, let go of the leash as the dog can run faster and the cows will likely pursue the dog instead. It's hard to tell sometimes if the calf is a way aways, but if you run between a cow and her calf it can upset the cow.

Bulls don't like sudden quick movements (hence in bullfighting, the waving of the flag - it's not the colour that sets them off, it's the movement) so slowwwww it down and keep eye contact. Back away and get somewhere safe.

If they're ambling too close or are blocking the path, shout at them and clap your hands. Also works for horses.

I quite like cows (especially dairy cows - they're quite sweet!) but they are big animals with small brains. Don't mess with them!