Mad cow! How to deal with aggressive cattle?

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    But regardless, she was cow-ering in a tree because there was a lot at steak.

Now you're just milking the situation.

Too cheesy? I'm just glad she didn't get creamed. :'(
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    But regardless, she was cow-ering in a tree because there was a lot at steak.

Now you're just milking the situation.

Too cheesy? I'm just glad she didn't get creamed. :'(

That tree did help her bi-son time to escape.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    More than likely they were yearling heifers, they tend to be more squirrely than older cows and they like to investigate new things, sometimes aggressively.
    Most times standing your ground, waiving your hands and yelling is enough to stop them. By running off they think its a game
  • amskinner87
    amskinner87 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I went on a course for dog walkers to learn how to deal with cattle in fields. Top takeaways:

- only worry about bulls or mothers with calves. Then you should be careful and avoid the field if possible.
    - cows love to run and circle and are naturally curious. If you run they will chase you. If you stay still they might circle and try to lick you.
    - bullocks (young males) may appear aggressive but are just energetic and curious.
    - if they are following you, turn around to face them, raise your arms and shout calmly at them.

I got to meet lots of cows (fun) and run across a field enticing a whole herd to chase me. I then turned several times to shoo them away and it worked every time - they would back off and wait until I turned around again to run.

Basically, don't worry about it unless a bull or mothers with calves.

• garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Glad it all worked out. It could have been udder destruction. Next time don't horn in on their territory.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I went on a course for dog walkers to learn how to deal with cattle in fields. Top takeaways:

- only worry about bulls or mothers with calves. Then you should be careful and avoid the field if possible.
    - cows love to run and circle and are naturally curious. If you run they will chase you. If you stay still they might circle and try to lick you.
    - bullocks (young males) may appear aggressive but are just energetic and curious.
    - if they are following you, turn around to face them, raise your arms and shout calmly at them.

I got to meet lots of cows (fun) and run across a field enticing a whole herd to chase me. I then turned several times to shoo them away and it worked every time - they would back off and wait until I turned around again to run.

this covers what was going to say.
    cows are curious. some like attention. some like to be scratched on their forehead and between their ears.
    but watch out for moms and bulls. and the bullocks may not mean to aggressive but due to their size, be wary.
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @monkeefan1974 I'm not sure where you are, but down here in central North Carolina, we are starting to see more and more coyotes all times of the day. Our cows down here are (rightfully) terrified of them.Maybe they saw/smelled/sensed a predator? As for why the lead cow kept after you- maybe they thought you would lead them to safety?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Horns/no horns have nothing to do with age; some breeds are naturally polled (hornless), and others have theirs removed as calves.

If not yearling bulls feeling that first rush of testosterone or mama cows with calves, truly just heifers (sub-adults), stand your ground and be aggressive back. If you run, they will chase you. Have a telescoping trekking pole with you. They are super pushy-curious and will half-circle/encircle you in the ducking/bobbing line of, but easy to fend off. The nose leather is the most sensitive part of if you have to poke/swat one with a pole tip. Clicking/clucking (like you do to a horse), whistling, and "shhhh, shhhh"ing sounds are what cattle are used to hearing to get them to move. Along with "Hup! Hup!" and "HA!" and "Get!" and other verbal yells you'd use to push/get something moving away from you.

If they are bulls, move slowly away and never take your eyes off of them. If you run, they will chase you and not be as benign as curious heifers.

And then there are the ones like we have around here that keep their horns.18920600_1811288905564611_1854538207989752864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=80645410f96a35154e14d16e074f1cc8&oe=5D48C62D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    OMG that face!
  • cttrgirl1997
    cttrgirl1997 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea that you came through at feeding time. We have cows, and if any of us go anywhere near the barn/pasture near feeding time, they run to us. They can hurt you, so be careful!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What country are you in?
    Oh my my, you were just out for a pleasant valley Sunday run. It's hard to believe at first, but with all the details, I'm a believer. I guess that cow wasn't born to follow. Next time just tell those cows you're not their stepping stone, then hop on the next train to Clarksville..Just remember, tomorrow's gonna be another day.
    Sorry, I'll go now...

I’m in Northern California 😎

And that was BRILLIANT!!! <3<3<3 You rock! 😃😃😃

I'm in northern CA too - east bay by Mt. Diablo. We have shared trails with dairy cows too - I'm wary even when I'm passing just a few off to the side (and nobody I've ever herd (ha!) of has ever been attacked). The worst was a couple of weeks ago when we passed a couple of dozen in a bunch, got intimidated by a small group that wouldn't move off the trail and decided to turn back. The big herd was ambling up the trail toward us and the small group had started to follow. Even yelling and waving at the herd didn't have much effect until we were within a few yards - honestly I was terrified!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    What country are you in?
    Oh my my, you were just out for a pleasant valley Sunday run. It's hard to believe at first, but with all the details, I'm a believer. I guess that cow wasn't born to follow. Next time just tell those cows you're not their stepping stone, then hop on the next train to Clarksville..Just remember, tomorrow's gonna be another day.
    Sorry, I'll go now...

I’m in Northern California 😎

And that was BRILLIANT!!! <3<3<3 You rock! 😃😃😃

I'm in northern CA too - east bay by Mt. Diablo. We have shared trails with dairy cows too - I'm wary even when I'm passing just a few off to the side (and nobody I've ever herd (ha!) of has ever been attacked). The worst was a couple of weeks ago when we passed a couple of dozen in a bunch, got intimidated by a small group that wouldn't move off the trail and decided to turn back. The big herd was ambling up the trail toward us and the small group had started to follow. Even yelling and waving at the herd didn't have much effect until we were within a few yards - honestly I was terrified!

When they are just grazing they don’t intimidate me much but when they do start running and the herd moves as a group it is indeed terrifying! If I do see a cow up ahead blocking my path I will wave my arms and make noise so they know I’m there while there’s still distance between us and I don’t startle them when I’m within reach. This has worked for cattle that is calm but when they are already on the move, not really sure if they’d stop and that day I wasn’t about to stick around to find out!
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

I’m not so sure I could do this 😅 if I’m shouting it’s probably not going to be “calmly”, guess I need to practice 😬
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Between stalker cows and the lady with tiny bees in her eyes, I may never go outside again!
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options

earlnabby wrote: »
    Horns/no horns have nothing to do with age; some breeds are naturally polled (hornless), and others have theirs removed as calves.

If not yearling bulls feeling that first rush of testosterone or mama cows with calves, truly just heifers (sub-adults), stand your ground and be aggressive back. If you run, they will chase you. Have a telescoping trekking pole with you. They are super pushy-curious and will half-circle/encircle you in the ducking/bobbing line of, but easy to fend off. The nose leather is the most sensitive part of if you have to poke/swat one with a pole tip. Clicking/clucking (like you do to a horse), whistling, and "shhhh, shhhh"ing sounds are what cattle are used to hearing to get them to move. Along with "Hup! Hup!" and "HA!" and "Get!" and other verbal yells you'd use to push/get something moving away from you.

If they are bulls, move slowly away and never take your eyes off of them. If you run, they will chase you and not be as benign as curious heifers.

And then there are the ones like we have around here that keep their horns.18920600_1811288905564611_1854538207989752864_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-2.xx&oh=80645410f96a35154e14d16e074f1cc8&oe=5D48C62D

My comment was made to correct the previously stated misconception that horns on cattle might somehow determine the age of said cattle, backing it up with facts. Pretty sure I did not say no cattle have horns. :)

For what it is worth, Scottish Highlands are pretty docile unless crap-bred, even with those horns (which are prized and so typically not dehorned). It's only the ones with horns with Bos Indicus vs. Bos Taurus you *really* have to worry about. Well, other than dairy bulls, horns or no. They are some of the worst, and they'll actually stalk you in the pens when you're preg checking.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I kind of wonder if they were dairy cattle or beef cattle. I think beef cattle tend to be handled less and so not quite so people-friendly.