Oatmeal over cereal

Options
2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hey you gotta find what works for you. I don't like oatmeal at all, and even if it fills me up I wouldn't eat it. I love cereal but I like the sugary kid's cereals so it's more of a treat/dessert vs. a filling breakfast.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating mainly overnight oats or cereal. I'm eating special k with red berries because I've been having trouble getting enough iron.

I add a lot of fruit to either oats or cereal which adds a lot of bulk with only a few calories. Both keep me full quite a while.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the last time I had cereal...not really a cereal guy. I eat oats pretty much every other day.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I feel you on the brownie. Today i had a very small brownie and coffee for “lunch” and I was quite hungry for dinner. I still do stuff like that sometimes. I guess I’m a masochist haha
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    keenest37 wrote: »
    It's very interesting learning what's really not worth eating. I've been doing this for about a month now. Yesterday after lunch for some reason I wanted a bowl of cereal. A cup and a half of cereal and 1/2 a cup of milk. It fit in a tiny little bowl. It was almost 400 calories!! And not worth it. I ended up not having many calories left for dinner & went over for the first time. I just had a bowl of oatmeal with strawberries, a pat of butter and a littlr brown sugar. I feel very satisfied. Was under 300 calories and I have plenty of them left for dinner. I made brownies last night from a lo cal cookbook. There were 25 servings at 110 calories each - for one tiny liitle piece! I had one piece at breakfast time and I'm done. Just not worth the calories for what you're getting!

I have a bowl of cereal almost every morning. I had pretty decent sized bowl of Banana Nut Cheerios with unsweetened almond milk this morning. It was right around 300 calories. I think it's more about which cereal you choose, and what milk you use.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This "worth it/not worth it" revelation is a game changer. Without having to forcibly remove foods from your diet, you find yourself auto-regulating the kinds of foods you eat because some experiences are less pleasant than others. A far cry from what people think, that if everything is allowed you'd be eating nothing but Oreos and soda.

I didn't grow up on cold cereal so I don't have that breakfast habit. I bought it maybe a handful of times in my lifetime and it didn't stick, even when I wasn't dieting. I didn't grow up on oatmeal, either, but I loved it when I tried it and find it very filling, so it became a staple that I crave when I go too long without.

Brownies, not a big fan. I mean they're okay, I would eat them if I wasn't managing my calories, but it's been years since I had one because even though I don't explicitly cut them out, I just never seem to find them worth it and something tastier always wins out the calorie competition. I do eat some things that are very calorie dense occasionally when the pleasure of having them outweighs the calorie sacrifice, but not brownies.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    This "worth it/not worth it" revelation is a game changer. Without having to forcibly remove foods from your diet, you find yourself auto-regulating the kinds of foods you eat because some experiences are less pleasant than others. A far cry from what people think, that if everything is allowed you'd be eating nothing but Oreos and soda.

Exactly this.
    I didn't grow up on cold cereal so I don't have that breakfast habit. I bought it maybe a handful of times in my lifetime and it didn't stick, even when I wasn't dieting. I didn't grow up on oatmeal, either, but I loved it when I tried it and find it very filling, so it became a staple that I crave when I go too long without.

I grew up in an area where cold cereal for breakfast was quite common, even for kids, but never understood why anyone liked it. I basically would eat it when I had to (spending the night with a friend or the like), but otherwise never ate it. I liked oats okay (my parents did the plain Quaker rolled oats) and definitely preferred those to cold cereal, but didn't have those a lot either.

As an adult I discovered steel cut oats, which I like even better and find quite filling (at the typical serving size), especially with some fruit and milk or veg and an egg, but I don't have them that option just because there are other options I'm more often in the mood for. I would never voluntarily eat cold cereal, ick, just not my taste at all.