Making up for missed cardio

Options
I am supposed to do 240 minutes of cardio a week

I have done 140 minutes this week. I was thinking of doing 100 minutes tomorrow to make up for it.

I have just started a clean bulk after a long cut. I will slowly reduce cardio but this is the first week of bulking.

Is this a good idea ?

Replies

• Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what you choose, this one workout won't make a difference in your long term results and goals.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

I have done 140 minutes this week. I was thinking of doing 100 minutes tomorrow to make up for it.

I have just started a clean bulk after a long cut. I will slowly reduce cardio but this is the first week of bulking.

Is this a good idea ?

What are you basing this on? Are you following a certain program? A bit of flexibility in your schedule is a good idea. Maybe you won't hit your target of 240 min. per week but some is better than none.

As already mentioned, if you're bulking perhaps you don't need that much cardio.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Is this a good idea ?

What are you basing this on? Are you following a certain program? A bit of flexibility in your schedule is a good idea. Maybe you won't hit your target of 240 min. per week but some is better than none.

As already mentioned, if you're bulking perhaps you don't need that much cardio.

I had a coach and he had me this csrdio amount and we slowly tapered the cardio down.

I was going to 240 this week and see if I lose too much weight rbe reduce cardio or if I gain weight then keep cardio.

It helps me keep consistent
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    To contrast, @AsrarHussain, my coach has me doing 35 minutes of cardio a week while bulking. 35 minutes.

What is your coach training you for (sport-wise)?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    In a good week, I'll do 15+ hours of cardio. Sometimes 5 at a time. (I'm not counting walking or hiking.)

There's research evidence that running specifically interferes with muscle grow. Not all cardio. There are some ideas about why, maybe it's the eccentric contractions, maybe something else. Other forms of cardio don't have that interference effect, they only use calories and require you to eat more.

Lifting isn't cardio, but it does work your heart. Improved aerobic capacity (from doing cardio) is helpful in the weight room. You recover faster.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    4 hours of cardio a week while bulking? Are you eating 4,000+ cals/day, otherwise missing the cardio is probably a good idea

The csrdio was there because I was cutting and we didn't want to stop the cardio altogether because he wanted to slowly stop it to stop excess fat gains.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    I am also slowly increasing carbs and slowly reducing cardio. It is a slow and methodical approach rather than just eating junk and stopping cardio
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am also slowly increasing carbs and slowly reducing cardio. It is a slow and methodical approach rather than just eating junk and stopping cardio

What is it that you were training for with so much cardio on Lowish carbs, before switching to a bulk?
  • AsrarHussain
    Options
    To contrast, @AsrarHussain, my coach has me doing 35 minutes of cardio a week while bulking. 35 minutes.

What is your coach training you for (sport-wise)?

I am trying to get more muscle mass.
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

What is it that you were training for with so much cardio on Lowish carbs, before switching to a bulk?

Yes, I want a cut and doing lots of cardio. I was doing weekly check in to ensure I was not losing too much muscle and trying to keep fullness

I learned enough and dont want to lean too much and sacrifice muscle tissue hence why I am slowly upping the carbs to ensure it goes to the right place
  • AsrarHussain
    Options

I was trying to lose body fat whilst maintaining or increasing strength and hold on to muscle. If possible grow but on calorie deficit it is almost impossible
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

I was trying to lose body fat whilst maintaining or increasing strength and hold on to muscle. If possible grow but on calorie deficit it is almost impossible

okay, just seems that the amount of cardio does not jive with your goals, then or now. all you needed was a moderate deficit 10% below TDEE or 0.5 lb/week and strength training for that cut goal, then switching to bulking would be a much smaller step.