Easiest and most efficient forms of vegan protein

Options
FL_Hiker
FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
edited April 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Hi y’all,
My dad is in the hospital and he’s vegan. The hospital staff doesn’t seem to know what vegan is and all of his meals have been lacking in protein... he’s losing a lot of muscle mass and I know he will need even more protein besides that for recovery. Is there a brand of vegan shake you can recommend? Or something easy to eat? More bang for his buck the better, he has very little strength. He can only use one hand right now..
Thanks for your help!

Ps: forgot to mention, no fridge and very little storage for food in the hospital.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Oh dear, that's appalling. Is this hospital in Florida? What county? Knowing that might help us provide resources. Actually, if you don't mind providing the hospital name, that would be even better.

Find the hospital Patient Advocate (or whatever they call it there), and find the right person to talk to in the Hospital Department of Nutrition (or whatever that is called.) There probable already is someone there who knows about vegan meals but they don't know about your father. Meanwhile - legumes. They might have rice and beans on the menu already.

I'm an omnivore but dabbled in vegan pea protein, and liked this brand: Olympian Lab Pea Protein, Chocolate

Good luck and keep us posted!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Bob's Red Mill or Orgain protein powder. You can mix it with almond or soy milk which comes in cartons that don't have to be refrigerated until opened.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to the RD at the hospital? They should have the resources to be able to help you. To my understanding, you can request to meet with them to discuss your father's needs. I've known RDs who worked in hospitals and the ones I've known have truly wanted patients to have meals that promoted their health and worked for them. If that doesn't work, I would consider trying a meal shake like Soylent (I believe all flavors are vegan) or a protein powder mixed with a higher protein plant milk (like soy milk).

If I was in the hospital and needed food brought in, I'd probably do some simple bean burritos (canned refried beans, tortillas don't need refrigeration). Maybe not the tastiest, but I think they'd get me through. There is also pre-cooked rice than can be mixed with beans for an easy meal.

Good luck!

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Can't help with your issue but I hope your father gets what he needs and has a speedy recovery. Make sure your mom is taking care of herself too. Remind her that when he comes home she needs to be in as good as shape as possible to help care for him.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Thanks all for your thoughts... I have no doubt my dad will remain true to who he is despite the situation, he’s stubborn and I don’t see him realistically going non vegan. I continue to work so that I can pay their bills and support them... I don’t want them to worry about finances right now. I am optimistic that he will recover, he’s determined, and I know he will fight for his life.. my mom already lost her job since she took too much time off to be with him. I’m hoping the hospital will be temporary and he will be back in rehab soon, the rehab facility fed him decent food. I’m more of just worried about his health and healing until he gets to that point. Thanks Jane BTW for looking that up, I think the hospitals have been trying but they really do seem clueless... after the stroke they kept giving him grilled cheese sandwiches...

Not to pile on with advice, but I mentioned your family's situation to my mom (she works in a major hospital system as a nurse-practitioner) and she said if this hospital has a patient advocate or a risk management office, that would be a good place for you or your mom to focus your efforts if talking with the RD hasn't produced changes.

She also said if your father's doctor is willing to write orders for the diet, that may help (at least it would at her hospital).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately it’s up in Jacksonville (memorial hospital) which is 2 hours from me.. he initially went up there for rehab for his stroke but then when he was in rehab he threw multiple blood clots in his leg & lungs. Since he’s so far away I can only visit him on the weekend because of work so bringing food everyday is out of the question. Since he can’t mix his own shakes and my mom is too sleep deprived I’m trying to find something that’s like individually packaged and already made. I don’t think he can have soy because of his thyroid problems. My mom talked to the dietician there and they just didn’t do a great job at least what I saw... I just want to make sure he’s getting enough protein and vitamins 😞.

Ah Jackson Memorial Hospital...I used to drive by there on the way to the worst job I ever had in my life :lol:

Not to cast doubts on your Mom's ability to advocate, but maybe you should make an appt with the RD and/or patient advocate before your visit? Or if you are visiting tmrw, try to get in to see them?
  • HereToLose50
    HereToLose50 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast can be sprinkled on whatever savory items the hospital is feeding him. You could pre-measure portions for them so it's just dump on and eat. Canned lentils, chickpeas and beans if it's allowed in his diet. Those aren't huge groceries - sometimes they can be bought in smaller sized cans or packets. A lot have pop tops now too so no dealing with a can opener. Not sure about other types of ready to go vegan proteins but it's a start.

I'm strongly for the patient advocate suggestions already made.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of single-serving Indian dishes in pouches in the grocery store, and many of them are vegan. I'm not sure if they're safe to consume unheated, though. (They have heating instructions, but they don't list an internal temperature that you're suppose to heat them too, which I tend to think means heating is for palatability, not safety -- but that's just an assumption on my part.)
  • Pretty_Little_Nobody
    Pretty_Little_Nobody Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    What about vegan Protein bars as well? That he can just munch on when he likes? These can supplement his diet without needing to be stored and/or prepared?