Calorie Burn?????

Options
LargeEricS
LargeEricS Posts: 109 Member
edited April 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
Ive read many threads on this topic but for some reason still feel like posting for eveyones opinions. Im 23 about 6'4, and 260lbs. I am currently running about 25 min on an ellptical. 3min are my warm up and the other 22min are at 200 strides, moderate resistance, 8.5 min mile, for a total distance of around 2.60 miles as the machine reads. The calorie burn for that time period is around 325 calories if i use the machines HR reader regularly. My heart rate throughout the run according from the machine ranges from 160-170. 325 cal. Is pretty close to MFP estimates for elliptical and cross comparing with an 8.5 mile run. Does this sound correct to anyone else?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A few problems....
    • Elliptical isn't running.
    • You don't actually cover any miles at all on an elliptical, the miles are just an artificial construct.
    • HR is only a very rough guide to calories, can be OK, can be mile off depending on the individual and the exercise.

Having said that you are a big guy and that calorie burn doesn't sound unreasonable/improbable.

You could try finding out how the elliptical manufacturer came up with their calorie estimates - some actually test a cross section of people in a lab setting to create a calorie table, but many don't.
  • LargeEricS
    LargeEricS Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Im aware its not running, but I try once a week to run outside and 8.5min/mile is about my pace currently and it normally ends up around that 2.5 mile mark. Thats what sparked my curiousity, I don't currently eat my calories back so its not important to me as of this moment but I could see where in the future id want too. I really should just invest in a HR monitor but everytime I start looking them up i get overwhelmed by the differing opinions.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    There's a frequently used formula to estimate running calorie burn which is bodyweight in lbs X distance in miles X the common running efficiency ratio of 0.63 (it's a net calorie estimate too which is handy).

At your weight 260 X 1 X 0.63 would be 164 cals per mile.

While of course different types of cardio will give different burn rates and different perceived exertion it gives you an idea of your likely capabilities and can help you spot those "too good to be true" numbers.

I know that my maximal net calorie burn on an indoor bike is around 790 for an hour so if I jump on an elliptical and it's telling me 1,000 then I'm going to be very suspicious.

It's rarely an exact science but reasonable estimates are plenty good enough for purpose.