Hack squats - I don’t get ‘em!!

I’m trying to do hack squats ... I watched a video (from Muscle & Strength) and tried it with a 20 lb fixed weight barbell, trying to get my form correct. But I ended up having to hold the barbell outwards with my arms because otherwise my butt is in the way and I can’t bring the bar up past it. Is my butt just too big or am I doing them wrong? I didn’t do them with my feet on an angle, would that make a difference? Are they worth the trouble?

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2019
    Use a wider grip when holding the barbell...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKMWsqh_WP8
    Haven't done barbell variation in a while - other variations (less awkward) you can try too: cable variation, landmine, TRX, hex/shrug bar
  • Polydactylkat
    Polydactylkat Posts: 31 Member
    That video is helpful, thanks!
  • Amazon314
    Amazon314 Posts: 19 Member
    Did not even realize you could do it with a barbell.... Had only ever seen it before with the machine/rack thing at the gym.

Thanks!
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited April 2019
    Yeah, been to many different gyms over the years...barbell hacksquat is definitely considered old school; benefit of being a consistent movement - most gyms have standard barbells (I'm not a huge fan of the hacksquat machines without shoulder pads; have difficulty with feeling grounded).

Barbell version takes strain away from the lower back/has no compression of spine (always a plus); I like doing on a platform &/or using 25lb plates for a greater deficit (greater ROM). Current gym doesn't even have a hack squat machine (oddity given the other range of diverse equipment, including bumper plates)

Current favorite variation is the landmine hacksquat - it feels very close to the hacksquat machines with shoulder supports (similar arching, close to 45 degree movement ROM too)
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    You've inspired me to give hack squats a try. The video was helpful. My gym has a Smith machine that I've found useful for test flying new exercises.