Calorie Guilt :(

Options
2»

Replies

• crunchbones
    crunchbones Posts: 3 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Looking at your food diary, you are eating an awful lot -- how are you coming up with the portions on anything not ready-made? I've lost 200lbs, and I'd highly, highly recommend getting a food scale and following the calorie deficit the nutritionist set out. You're not starving, your body is used to eating too many calories and is going to have to get used to what is normal again.

Water aerobics is fine exercise, but don't let the activity lull you into upping calories to match your activity level.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I agree with the PPs. You may need to rethink the types of foods you are eating to reach your 1900 calories. Drinking water will help a lot!! Did you dietitian give you the types of foods that you are to be eating? Make sure to stick with those & weigh them, log them, no cheating. Maybe modify your exercise routine. Sometimes I get into a rut & once I change up my exercise routine I come out of it.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I would advice this... what aerobics are great! Though, institute some resistances training and keeping protein up will help retain less lean mass loss. If you are a newbie, you could gain some muscle for a while..
  • InsertFunnyUsernameHere
    Options
    Okay, I recently saw a Dietician.
    And i'm thoroughly convinced shes trying to kill me.
    haha it feels like it anyway.

She has me restricted to 1900 calories...and i'm STARVING. I easily burn up to 800-1200 calories because I work out twice a day doing water aerobics, so i'm still always in a calorie deficit.

Can I relax a little as long as I eat the right things?

Save me :(

No.

How much you eat is all that matters for weight loss, not what you eat. You get no bonus points for eating clean or vegetarian or whatever.

If you're starving, change the food you're eating to things that satisfy you more, but without blowing out your calorie goal.

Also, switch to just drinking water. That'll leave you more calories for actual food. A 2l bottle of soda is usually about 960 calories. Wouldn't you rather eat those calories than drink them?

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

She has me restricted to 1900 calories...and i'm STARVING. I easily burn up to 800-1200 calories because I work out twice a day doing water aerobics, so i'm still always in a calorie deficit.

1900 seems low for you, but as others have said, whether it's necessary for you due to health concerns is between you, your doctor, and your dietitian.

If you need to stick to 1900, playing around with your macros and meal timing can help. In general, protein, fat, and fiber are filling for people in some combination. So take a look at your food log, and if any of those three are low, try to bring them at least up to goal.

Then become a detective using your food log. Make notes of when you are struggling with hunger, and then try to move around your calories so you eat more at those times of day, and eat less at other times. Also note if after each meal you get hungry quickly or are satisfied for a while. Then look at the meals/snacks that kept you satisfied longer and see what they have in common, and then prioritize whatever that might be.

Weight loss comes down to calories, not what you eat. But what you eat CAN make it easier to stick to your calorie goal.

If you continue to struggle, go to your next appointment armed with all of this info and see if maybe the dietitian can help you work it out. Hang in there :drinker:
  • asliceofjackie
    asliceofjackie Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who's thinking that it might be some confusion about net calories here?

I worked under the assumption that your dietician wants you to eat 1900kcal net over the day. Depending on which program/app you're using to log food (I'm assuming it's MFP) that means you can and probably should eat back at least some of the calories burned from working out - and by the sound of it you work out a bit. That would give you a bit more leeway with eating and some extra snacks during the day which should help keep you fuller.

I'm no professional though, and I'm new to the MFP system so I could be wrong.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you losing per week?

Thats the problem....I haven't...so thats an issue in itself...

You are most likely overestimating the number of calories you burn. Most people do.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    remember water aerobics will tone, and muscle weighs more than fat. so you probably are losing inches!

Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. It's just more dense.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Weight loss is about calories not type of food so eating the right things would be eating the right number of calories.
    You can do whatever you want but you may not get the results you want if you exceed the calorie goal you were given. What does MFP tell you for a calorie goal? What rate of loss are you aiming for (lbs per week)?
    How long have you been reducing to 1900 calories? It can take time to adjust.
    Does your dietician tell you to eat more if you exercise or just 1900 no matter what? If it is not taking into acount exercise then you should probably eat more when you exercise.
    Are you eating enough protein, fiber and fats? Those things tend to help people feel more satisfied. If you are low on one or more of these things changing the type of food you eat might help.
    Try drinking more water or unsweetened tea and waiting 20 minutes to see if you are really hungry.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    remember water aerobics will tone, and muscle weighs more than fat. so you probably are losing inches!

...which means that it weighs more for a given volume. What is it with this pernickety 'correcting' of phrasing and ignoring the fundamental point that the OP isn't gaining muscle?
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,608 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

...which means that it weighs more for a given volume. What is it with this pernickety 'correcting' of phrasing and ignoring the fundamental point that the OP isn't gaining muscle?

For me it's a semantics pet peeve. The person saying it was 1 post in so likely new and, even tho I gave them the benefit of the doubt, others will take it literally. Some people don't understand the by volume part.

That's what's with it. :)

Why are people getting so pressed about what's addressed and what's not? It's ALL eventually going to be addressed.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,991 Member
    Options
    Can we let go of the "muscle weighs more than fat" argument? Everyone knows what that means. Let it go.

@meltonmark93
    How are you doing today? Did you take any of our suggestions on board? Eating high volume foods like lots of vegetables is going to be your best tool. Focus on getting a serving of protein (so 3-5 ounces) and a big plateful of vegetables other than potatoes. Potatoes are fine, it's just that they're higher calorie than other vegetables like broccoli, squash, leafy greens, cauliflower, etc.

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Can you make an appointment with the dietitian sooner? My dietitian is a lifesaver for me. She has me at 1600 calories a day and I've lost well.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    ceiswyn wrote: »

For me it's a semantics pet peeve. The person saying it was 1 post in so likely new and, even tho I gave them the benefit of the doubt, others will take it literally. Some people don't understand the by volume part.

That's what's with it. :)

Why are people getting so pressed about what's addressed and what's not? It's ALL eventually going to be addressed.

Who? And what do they think it means? In a way that is consistent with what the poster said about inches?