Large Study: Taking vitamins from supplements does not offer mortality benefits, has potential risks

Options
2»

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I'm interested in the take on Vit D too. It's the one I feel has changed me. I don't ant to read the study because today I have enough to worry about...but is that covered in this?

My doctor told me years ago that vitamins were not necessary and I should stop taking them. She did recommend a Vit D. I'm in the upper U.S. and we don't get much sun. I really feel like Vit D was instrumental in combatting my seasonal depression.

Without Vit D supplementation my level runs 15-20. Supplementing gets it up to 60 or so. But only the mega dose once a week seems to work. I guess this would be a case of supplementation being medically indicated. My levels are now "normal" but only stay that way with continued supplementing so...

Don't mind me, I'm just rambling now :tongue:

Interesting about the one mega dose. I don't even know if Vit D levels are something they routinely test for and I had started taking 2000iu daily before my doctor told me that. For the record, my doctor isn't God, she led me astray on more than one occasion. To thine own self be true I guess. I've been supplementing D for ten years. I take 1000iu daily now. Sometimes in the summer I skip it for weeks at a time. It is the only thing that made life worth living for me from October to May.

I know vit d is in my annual bloodwork - does your doc do CBC and CMP?

Yeah on the CBC, I don't know what CMP means. But I don't get a breakdown of every reading...like Vit D or other micronutrients. Maybe I have to specifically ask.

What pinuplove said - I was surprised when mine ordered that but she said it’s just her policy

All my breakups are also posted online through their patient portal - so I can typically review before I see her which helps me make informed decisions - compared to my endocrinologist who doesn’t share anything and makes it hard to be an informed patient
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the take on Vit D too. It's the one I feel has changed me. I don't ant to read the study because today I have enough to worry about...but is that covered in this?

My doctor told me years ago that vitamins were not necessary and I should stop taking them. She did recommend a Vit D. I'm in the upper U.S. and we don't get much sun. I really feel like Vit D was instrumental in combatting my seasonal depression.

Without Vit D supplementation my level runs 15-20. Supplementing gets it up to 60 or so. But only the mega dose once a week seems to work. I guess this would be a case of supplementation being medically indicated. My levels are now "normal" but only stay that way with continued supplementing so...

Interesting about the one mega dose. I don't even know if Vit D levels are something they routinely test for and I had started taking 2000iu daily before my doctor told me that. For the record, my doctor isn't God, she led me astray on more than one occasion. To thine own self be true I guess. I've been supplementing D for ten years. I take 1000iu daily now. Sometimes in the summer I skip it for weeks at a time. It is the only thing that made life worth living for me from October to May.

My D hasn't been tested either. My doctor just said that she recommends D in the winter to everyone (I'm in Chicago). When I log at Cronometer I do notice that D is the one thing I'm consistently low on, and would need to get from sun.

Maybe I should ask to be tested.

I do have seasonal depression issues too -- going to try that light thing this coming year maybe -- which is one reason I've wanted to add in the D, as I've heard from several people that it's helpful.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

I know vit d is in my annual bloodwork - does your doc do CBC and CMP?

Yeah on the CBC, I don't know what CMP means. But I don't get a breakdown of every reading...like Vit D or other micronutrients. Maybe I have to specifically ask.

Comprehensive metabolic panel. My doctor doesn't do one unless I ask or we're trying to find the cause of some specific issue. I always ask for a copy of my results because I'm nosy :lol: I assume if you were deficient in anything they'd be telling you.

Mine has this new app thing that reports all results. It's cool.

I will ask about a CMP next time, I think.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Good stuff, @MikePTY.

Maybe we need an MFP journal club!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    @apullum .com means commercial.. I learned making research paper with nutrition not to use any website that ends with .com. So yah, I stay away. Most of the journal that are publish with .com has hidden agenda. .gov or .edu I will consider reading and see below if the author received funding from the said products they are researching.

You do realize that the vast majority of reputable journals use .com addresses right? I'm not sure who gave you the advice you stated above, but it was very very poor advice. I honestly suggest that if you're at all interested in research of any kind, you should really learn how academic publishing works. I suspect most journals can't publish with .edu or .gov top level domains. The .edu is out of the question because most journals aren't connected to universities. .gov is going to be more or less nonexistent in terms of URLs of journals because most journals aren't tied to government entities (and .gov as a top level domain is limited to the US).

I mean your, "no websites that don't end in .edu or .gov" takes out, among other journals, The Lancet.

Also PubMed (which has a .gov address)? They aren't actually a publisher. Most of their entries are citations and then they also archive some articles from some journals.

So again, I really suggest that you learn about reputable academic publishing. The academic publishing industry is very much a commercial venture, but the entities that see most of that money are the publishers, NOT the authors (you also might want to read about how funding works).
  • aokoye
    Options
    @savithny ummmm, you have an abstract, It's not the full text. It's irrelevant, sorry.
    Unless I can see their statistic, how they collected the data, and how they controlled their subjects, I can't tell how they came up with the conclusion.

Also, I read the original post journal, since everyone are so hype up about it. Ummmm... It's basically somebodies outlook about the original journal, and for all I know the authors outlook could be skewed.

The first sentence of the OP said that it was a review. Arstechnica isn't an academic journal nor is it claiming to be one. Additionally, abstracts aren't irrelevant. They are far from the full picture, but they aren't irrelevant. It seems as though you don't have a lot of knowledge on academic publishing and/or journal articles. Assuming you're at a university, there are a load of in person resources for you to glean information from. Making an appointment with a professor who has a number of published articles and asking them about it might be a good first step (they'll likely be tenured faculty if that helps narrow down the search).
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/vitamins/

"Read enough nutrition news, and you’ll see that not all scientists agree on multivitamins. Some say that there’s not enough proof that multivitamins boost health, so they don’t recommend them. Other scientists point to studies that seem to show a link between multivitamin use and increased risk of death. But those studies are flawed. Looking at all the evidence, the potential health benefits of taking a standard daily multivitamin seem to outweigh the potential risks for most people."

The antivitamin journal said this in their
    Conclusion:
    Use of dietary supplements is not associated with mortality benefits among U.S. adults.
    But, they did not mention that they actually proven it actually shows mortality risks.

• aokoye
    Options

"Read enough nutrition news, and you’ll see that not all scientists agree on multivitamins. Some say that there’s not enough proof that multivitamins boost health, so they don’t recommend them. Other scientists point to studies that seem to show a link between multivitamin use and increased risk of death. But those studies are flawed. Looking at all the evidence, the potential health benefits of taking a standard daily multivitamin seem to outweigh the potential risks for most people."

Conclusion
    :
    Use of dietary supplements is not associated with mortality benefits among U.S. adults.
    But, they did not mention that they actually proven it actually shows mortality risks.

You do realize that a. what you quoted isn't a journal, b. arstechnica isn't a journal and, c. Annals of Internal Medicine isn't an "antivitamin journal" right?
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Conclusion:

I'd suggest that when comparing journal articles, rather than looking for .edu, you look up impact factor. Impact factor is a much more reliable heuristic for what journals will be publishing reputable work.

The risks for certain vitamins and minerals don't seem particularly odd. Vitamin D can easily be toxic, the LD50 is surprisingly low compared to things like caffine.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Conclusion:

What you just posted is not a scientific study. It is general information about vitamins. It was probably written by someone who is knowledgeable about the topic, although we don't know because there is no author named, so we cannot look up that person's credentials. We also don't know when it was written, since it doesn't include a date of publication. Unless it was written or revised within the last couple days, it does not take into account the study the OP was discussing. That study was published on April 9, 2019. The link you posted is therefore still not relevant to the OP's discussion.

You have actually posted an excellent example of why you should not take something as the end-all, be-all final word just because it is on a .edu domain. It is hopefully accurate, but it is not scholarly (i.e., peer reviewed science written for other scholars, which often goes into depth about a specific research question).

Your nutrition class instructor appears to have done you a great disservice. This person taught you a blanket "rule" about evaluating sources, and that rule is not correct. There is not much you can learn about a source just by looking at the top level domain on which it's posted. Scholarly articles are frequently posted on .com sites. .edu sites do not guarantee that a source is either accurate or scholarly. Depending on exactly what it is you're looking at, a .gov site's content may be influenced by partisan politics about what content can or cannot be posted. The top level domain means almost nothing when it comes to evaluating the quality of a source.

Scholarly sources are articles printed in peer reviewed journals OR books printed by academic presses (often, but not always, affiliated with a university; Google the press if you're unsure).

OP's article was printed in Annals of Internal Medicine. If you are not familiar with academic journals, you can read more to find out whether they are peer reviewed. From the Annals of Internal Medicine's About Us page: "Material published in Annals is subject to peer review and the journal greatly appreciates the efforts of the over 18,000 volunteers in our reviewer database who provide critical input into our peer review process. Acceptance rates for original research range from 6-8% in recent years." (https://annals.org/aim/pages/about-us) This means that each article submitted to the journal has been reviewed by 2-3 scholars in the field. It also means that Annals is very selective, publishing only a small percentage of articles that the reviewers and editors deem to be the highest quality research.

Your link has not been through this rigorous vetting process. We don't know who wrote it or what their credentials are. We don't know when it was published or updated. It doesn't cite any sources, so we can't tell where the information came from or check the sources ourselves. Peer reviewed articles, on the other hand, always include the authors' names, their professional credentials (i.e., their highest degree and/or current job), the exact day of publication, and a complete list of properly cited references.

Peer reviewed publications also require authors to disclose any potential conflicts of interest. This disclosure allows you to evaluate whether "the authors' outlook could be skewed." You can see that the study the OP discussed was funded primarily by the National Institutes of Health, which is a US government agency. Note that the NIH is a very large, frequent, and prestigious funder of a great deal of medical research. The Annals website offers even more detail than that, though; the authors and editors were all required to disclose all relationships or financial interests whatsoever with relevant organizations. The full disclosure forms are easily accessible on the Annals website. You can also evaluate the authors' credentials, as they are all listed. All of the authors have terminal degrees in their fields and all are affiliated with Tufts University. One, incidentally, is also affiliated with the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health--where your link was posted.

If you went to the Annals site or the PubMed site to read the original study, what you saw was the abstract, not "somebody's outlook about the original journal." The abstract is a type of summary that precedes a journal article. It is written by the article's authors. Note that one study published in a journal is an "article," while the entire publication is a "journal;" it is incorrect to refer to a single study as a journal.

You may not have been able to read the full text of the article if you are not currently on a university campus, or if your university doesn't subscribe to any of the databases that host the article. It is unfortunately extremely common for academic research to be behind a paywall. This is one function of the abstract: to provide a brief summary for people who cannot or do not want to read the whole article. However, if you go to a local university's library and and speak with a reference librarian, they may be able to help you locate the full text of the article. If you are a student, your campus library can generally get you academic articles for free even if your university does not subscribe to the relevant databases. Universities typically have relationships with other universities that let them borrow or access one another's materials.

I would strongly encourage forgetting what this instructor in your nutrition class taught you about evaluating sources. It seems highly flawed and is leading you to favor lower quality sources over higher quality ones. You have multiple knowledgeable people on this thread who are trying to explain to you how academic publishing works. If you are a student, you need to visit your campus library and talk with a research librarian about how to find and evaluate scholarly sources.

this is about all i could find on that harvard link in general - https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/about/ - but since the specifically cited page didn't actually link to any studies