Stupid McDonalds... I will overcome this

There is a McDonalds bag in the garbage right now that has spit covered French fries in it. 🚫

We went to McDonalds for lunch and I was so proud of myself for ordering a salad rather than my normal 2 cheeseburgers and fries. (I love Mickey Ds fries!!!) When I was putting my daughters happy meal on a plate, I didnt steal a chicken nugget or a French fry. (That's huge for me too) Hubby finished his meal but couldn't finish his fries.... that's usually where I come in. He offers them to me and in order to not waste money or food, I gladly "help him out" and eat them🍟. Well, by habit- He asked me, "Babe, do you want my fries?"... as soon as he said it, he looked like I might bite his head off. Hangry spouse, sad house!!! But I shook my head no and he threw them in the bag and in the trash... I remembered all of the times that I would sneak the fries when he wasnt in the kitchen so that he wouldn't see how much I was eating, I could see myself getting hungry pains later in the afternoon and dipping into the bag... I said "Babe can you spit on those?" He looked at me like I was crazy. I explained it to him and he did it. He still didnt quite understand because he has a good relationship with food and doesnt have a weight problem at all. But he did it🚮. He is supportive of me, I am thankful for him. I'm proud of myself for making the salad decision and fir not sneaking the food behind anyones back... I am proud of myself for staying true to my tracker and to my day and to my health. 🙌

Someday, I wont have to worry about fries being thrown in the garbage. I won't even think twice about them and I wont have that urge. I'm disappointed that I had to go to this extreme to avoid mindless snacking but I am using this as a motive for the future... someday, I will NOT be tempted by cold salted potato strips that are laying to rest in the garbage!!!!!!! 🚮

Replies

• basil_oz
    basil_oz Posts: 2 Member
    Don't be disappointed about the "extreme"; you are changing eating habits and hunger desires. Having hubby spit on the occasional Macca's french fry is what you need to do to firm that behaviour. Well done! You'll be even prouder in a few weeks when you find that you no longer have that desire to snack so much and you see the results on the scales.
  • Fries and chocolate are probably pretty good together... the combo should have the whole savory + sweet thing going on.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Fries and chocolate are probably pretty good together... the combo should have the whole savory + sweet thing going on.

maybe spit fries and mustard chocolate not so much LOL
  • JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Fries and chocolate are probably pretty good together... the combo should have the whole savory + sweet thing going on.

maybe spit fries and mustard chocolate not so much LOL

Yeah... spit and mustard would not be my first choice of condiment.

french-fries-recipe.jpeg
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I love Wendy's salads and would choose one over a fast food burger any day. I'm just cognizant of what I'm adding - usually skip the croutons and second packet of dressing.

Flat out denying yourself the things you love might backfire on you, though. Better to fit a few fries into your day than feel deprived and go off the rails as a result eventually.

I love salads but I am weary of restaurant prepared salads. If they have more than 2 calorie dense ingredients that were likely not measured but tossed in by a potentially generous employee I feel safer ordering the burger. With a typical burger only the mayo or similar is the variable of concern and I don't like mayo. Everything else is set portions on the higher calorie items like the patties, cheese, and buns.

A salad can be twice the calories listed. A burger can be a little higher.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I love Wendy's salads and would choose one over a fast food burger any day. I'm just cognizant of what I'm adding - usually skip the croutons and second packet of dressing.

Flat out denying yourself the things you love might backfire on you, though. Better to fit a few fries into your day than feel deprived and go off the rails as a result eventually.

I love salads but I am weary of restaurant prepared salads. If they have more than 2 calorie dense ingredients that were likely not measured but tossed in by a potentially generous employee I feel safer ordering the burger. With a typical burger only the mayo or similar is the variable of concern and I don't like mayo. Everything else is set portions on the higher calorie items like the patties, cheese, and buns.

A salad can be twice the calories listed. A burger can be a little higher.

Do you have to ruin everything I love? :tongue:
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

That's why people dip their Wendy's fries into chocolate Frostys.
  • MmeZeeZee
    MmeZeeZee Posts: 18 Member
    No need to be ashamed of knowing your limits and doing what you need to in order to develop healthier habits.

A lot of people will run water over junk food that's left in the house, or throw something on top of it in the trash so they aren't tempted to go back in. Yep. And if someone on this thread has never seen anyone do that, good for you but I know a lot of people who have resorted to desperate measures for that last five lbs!

If you were raised with McDonald's as a treat then it's going to take a lot to get over. I personally wasn't raised on fast food but for my treats I have to keep it out of the house. I don't buy the things that I know I will overeat, unless I know it's part of the nutrition budget.

One thing you might consider is staying away from McD's as a family. I know we do. Of course teenagers are going to choose convenience food and that's fine, but our kids spend their own money there. We don't. If your husband wants a Big Mac, that's fine for him, but as a family you could consider going to the grocery store deli for "easy" meals. It's usually much easier to find and model healthier choices for the kids.

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    I like their southwest salad and also the egg white delight with a hashbrown, both yummy lower calorie options.
    Here’s a lil post I wrote about fast food:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10733253/wendy-s-helped-me-lose-weight#latest
  • valentina5780
    valentina5780 Posts: 15 Member
    You can do this. Just remember WHY you started your journey every time you feel like those fries.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    There is a McDonalds bag in the garbage right now that has spit covered French fries in it. 🚫

We went to McDonalds for lunch and I was so proud of myself for ordering a salad rather than my normal 2 cheeseburgers and fries. (I love Mickey Ds fries!!!) When I was putting my daughters happy meal on a plate, I didnt steal a chicken nugget or a French fry. (That's huge for me too) Hubby finished his meal but couldn't finish his fries.... that's usually where I come in. He offers them to me and in order to not waste money or food, I gladly "help him out" and eat them🍟. Well, by habit- He asked me, "Babe, do you want my fries?"... as soon as he said it, he looked like I might bite his head off. Hangry spouse, sad house!!! But I shook my head no and he threw them in the bag and in the trash... I remembered all of the times that I would sneak the fries when he wasnt in the kitchen so that he wouldn't see how much I was eating, I could see myself getting hungry pains later in the afternoon and dipping into the bag... I said "Babe can you spit on those?" He looked at me like I was crazy. I explained it to him and he did it. He still didnt quite understand because he has a good relationship with food and doesnt have a weight problem at all. But he did it🚮. He is supportive of me, I am thankful for him. I'm proud of myself for making the salad decision and fir not sneaking the food behind anyones back... I am proud of myself for staying true to my tracker and to my day and to my health. 🙌

Someday, I wont have to worry about fries being thrown in the garbage. I won't even think twice about them and I wont have that urge. I'm disappointed that I had to go to this extreme to avoid mindless snacking but I am using this as a motive for the future... someday, I will NOT be tempted by cold salted potato strips that are laying to rest in the garbage!!!!!!! 🚮

I'm sorry, not to sound like a jerk -- but who the hell orders a salad (which prolly isn't too far off in calories either with all the *kitten* they include in it) when they go to a food place like McDonald's?? As long as eating a couple cheeseburgers and french fries is within your daily caloric limit or whatever it's called -- there shouldn't be a halt in progress. And even if they were over, it tastes good and it's just one day. Big freakin' deal.

I am new to eating healthy and trying to make better choices. I have screwed up a few times this week and really just needed to be in control of my lunch.

I totally understand this, and I'm also one of those weirdos who orders salad at McDonald's. My family was very big on fast food and convenience foods when I was living at home. McDonald's was almost a daily thing. If I applied "it's just one day" to each of those trips, I certainly wouldn't have managed my weight. Go you for making the choice you felt was appropriate for meeting your goals today. :)