green leafy recipes

Options
bramble345
bramble345 Posts: 50 Member
edited April 2019 in Food and Nutrition
Does anyone have any cabbage or similar recipes to share?. Me and my partner are trying to increase our green leafy veg intake. So far cooking with a little bacon and butter is pretty good, adding to stir fries works for us and i can't turn up my nose at a classic boiled with gravy, but i'm hoping there's some other tasty prep methods out there !

Sorry just realised i posted in the wrong category, should have been recipes :(

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options
    I like kale, spinach, or escarole in a bean soup, sometimes with sausage (chorizo yum!) or meatballs in the soup.

And you can flag your original post and say it's yours and ask if a moderator could move it to recipes.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    How about Minestrone Soup? I just made a big pot for lunch. I used 1 1/2 cups of shredded spinach in it. /That soup will last quite a few meals.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Google "egg roll bowl" recipes. I'm not a big cabbage fan, so I've only tried this one, but it was pretty good: https://www.thekitchn.com/egg-roll-in-a-bowl-264939 I used tofu instead of meat.
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    We do sweet and sour cabbage with turkey kielbassa and potatoes. One pot dish and yummy. More of a winter recipe but it is fast to make and good for week nights.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,726 Member
    Options
    Cabbage: Slice in 1/2" slices, spray with olive oil lightly, roast in 425 degree F (or thereabouts) oven until browned on edges, flipping halfway through (probably take about 20 minutes). Or, chop and put in stew with white beans, caramelized onions, canned tomatoes (fire roasted diced are nice), and a tolerable amount of something spicy (like hot pepper flakes, or chopped jalapeno peppers, say). Add choice of meat (I'm a vegetarian ;) ).

Shred, chop in food processor, or slice thinly and make salads/slaws with vinegar or yogurt dressing (cabbage, grated apple, sweet onion, carrots is a good one).
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart cabbage, cut thinly, rinse with water in a colander and leave it a bit moist the attached water helps with the cooking. In a wok or a large stainless steel frying pan. Add 1/2 tbsp olive oil add the shredded cabbage.Turn on the stove and stir fry moving around with a heatproof cooking spoon. Add a little sea salt and some fresh grated nutmeg continue stir fry. Leave it slightly undercooked so not completely soft cooked and serve hot to eat.

Bok Choy cut in strips, rinse with water, add to a pan add small coffee cup water and salt and ginger powder. Cover with lid and cook in the steam that forms. Do not overcook.

Cabbage steaks baked in the oven. Slice wedges of fairly big white cabbage. Aim for 1.5 inch thick cabbage slices.
    To baking tray I use pyrex for oven, put slices cannage on it add a little sea salt, black and/or white pepper.
    Rosemary herb and/or thyme, just a sprinkle. Using a teaspoon add some drops of olive oil on each slice. Same for a tiny bit of water. Bake in oven of approx 175 Celsius when they start to shrink look cooked. Remove from oven add a little grated cheese and put back in hot oven till cheese melts. Serve hot.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Yes, I love cabbage in stir fries. And cabbage has a really long shelf life. I stock up when it goes on sale in March for St Patrick's Day.

This was really good: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14690/cabbage-roll-casserole/

Like other reviewers, I halved it. I did the prep in an oven-safe pan. Inspired by my JOC cabbage roll recipe, I added 2 teaspoons of vinegar and 1/2 tablespoon of sugar. Since other reviewers complained of blandness, I made sure to add plenty of salt and pepper, plus 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 2 teaspoons soy sauce (for umami). I cooked it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. The rice was perfect and the cabbage al dente, which is how I like it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,726 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Cabbage: Slice in 1/2" slices, spray with olive oil lightly, roast in 425 degree F (or thereabouts) oven until browned on edges, flipping halfway through (probably take about 20 minutes). Or, chop and put in stew with white beans, caramelized onions, canned tomatoes (fire roasted diced are nice), and a tolerable amount of something spicy (like hot pepper flakes, or chopped jalapeno peppers, say). Add choice of meat (I'm a vegetarian ;) ).

Shred, chop in food processor, or slice thinly and make salads/slaws with vinegar or yogurt dressing (cabbage, grated apple, sweet onion, carrots is a good one).

Oops, 40 minutes - 20 each side. (Too late to edit the original.)
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Saute up with garlic, grain mustard and a splash of rice wine vinegar, and some S&P. I do this with onions and a chicken kielbasa type sausage, is much delicious.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is to brown a pound of ground turkey in olive oil.. Add garlic and ginger. Cook until fragrant. Add one bag of coleslaw mix. Once it's cooked down a bit, I finish with soy sauce and little crushed red pepper flakes.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    This is one of our favorites. We do spinach instead of kale though since we are not big fans of kale.

https://themodernproper.com/posts/tortellini-soup-with-italian-sausage-and-kale