Plant-Based vs Veganism

Options
Hello health enthusiast! Wanted to know your opinion on a plant based diet or a vegan diet. Which one would you consider and why? Also, what diet do you currently follow? Thanks y’all

Replies

• nic_27_grassisgreener
    nic_27_grassisgreener Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    A plant based diet is the same as a vegan diet. People started using the term "plant based" because the word vegan scares others off.

Personally, my vegetarian diet is a choice not related to my weight.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    My understanding is that a plant-based diet limits but does not necessarily exclude animal products.

I've been a vegetarian since I was 14 (decades ago). I tried veganism a couple of times when I was much, much younger, but I think the longest I lasted was maybe six months.
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I've been starting to look into predominantly plant-based eating for health reasons myself.

What I seem to find pretty regularly is this: I can't speak to whether plant-based eaters *ever* allow meat into their diets, but veganism is a whole lifestyle that encompasses compassion for animals and includes refusing to wear leather or buy personal care, household goods/furnishings, cars, etc., that contain leather, fur, or any other animal products (or that has been tested on animals). It often, but not always, prefers sustainable production practices and organic (or better yet, veganic) farming methods. It appears to be more about the world and less about the self, except in how one's self impacts the world.

Plant-based seems to be more about the diet itself. Some vegans call themselves plant-based (or WFPB) instead of vegan for social reasons. Some people call themselves vegan but never address the part of the lifestyle that isn't about diet. Whether that's simply not stirring up trouble, or whether they're actually plant-based eaters rather than vegan, I can't begin to guess. If their story begins, "I once had to visit a..." they're probably vegan.

As someone who is neither, yet, but just beginning my research into the topic, please expect that I may have any or all of this wrong.
  • thomasjohnlynch
    thomasjohnlynch Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    its a LOT more simple then all of this. "Vegan is what I don't eat, but Whole Food Plant Based is what I DO eat." Not Vegan the noun but vegan eating. I have always said I am a "selfish unethical Vegan" >> i don't care about the animals and its ALL about ME!!!! and my health.

A nice video from a VERY knowledgeable guy for you to explore. https://youtu.be/lyR9T_86pxg
  • sharondesfor935
    sharondesfor935 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Oh NO! Without Doritos and potato chips, how will I live?

Really, every source I've checked so far (if I'm honest, I'm just watching YouTubers to start, and slowly picking out those who resonate with me, like Mic the Vegan and Simnett Nutrition) references Dr Gregor and Dr Esselstyn. Today I even downloaded Dr Gregor's Daily Dozen app to check it out. I tried entering my qualifying foods for today and yesterday, and ended up averaging 19 out of 24 before even knowing what it was all about.

Those YouTubers, especially Derek Simnett, have slowly reshaped what I eat, more meals than not. I haven't yet given up cheese, but I'm not replacing what gets used up. Ditto eggs. I think I've eaten red meat twice in the last 3 months. Pizza once. I stopped eating chicken a month or so ago. I'm learning (or possibly failing to learn, if I look at my results) what a chia egg is and where it can substitute for a hen's egg. That avocado or hummus can replace cheese or mayo in sandwiches and in plenty of other meals. That oil really isn't necessary most of the time (I still can't make pancakes that don't stick to my "non stick" griddle unless I either spray a little Pam on it or wipe it with a towel mourned with oil. Everything else seems to work fine for me but pancakes. 🤔) That the oil in an oil and vinegar salad dressing doesn't actually affect the flavor in any way, so why not just use the vinegar? Or better yet, a fresh orange chopped up and mixed in with fresh spinach...don't even need dressing with that! On the downside, I learned today that whole grain pasta has a freaking TON of cholesterol, who knew?

I'm still hooked on fish. I just like it. Especially sushi. Will I continue to become more vegan-like in my diet? I don't know yet. It's all still an experiment in my health. But I lost nearly 30 lbs in 100 days (on a 5'2" frame, that's a lot and really fast), gained enough energy to start exercising again, and simply feel better, younger, and stronger. I'm 58 now, and in December I felt 68. Today I feel 48 again...and I'm shooting for 38. 😁 I credit those two particular YouTubers for at least half the change.

My diet may never become 100% plant-based, but it's sure done a 180 from my starting point.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    100% plant-based = not eating animal sourced foods. Veganism = not using animal sourced foods or other products (clothes, makeup) for ethical reasons.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    OP appears to have deleted her account. I don't think she's coming back to the thread.
  • bannock_and_biceps
    bannock_and_biceps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    yes i just posted something on another thread she started. she's definitely split
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm all about eating locally and seasonally, cooking from scratch, buying meat at my favorite butcher when I get a chance, and so on. That said the pseudoscience is strong this evening.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Have any of the posters here read up on or have a comment about Dr. John McDougall’s starch-based nutrition approach. He avoids the vegan term.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Vegan only says what you don't/won't eat or use. It does not imply you are eating healthy. WFPB says you eat mostly whole foods and are plant based.