Help

I've been on here for a month and still struggling with sticking to the diet. I always seems to binge on weekends. Can you loose weight this way? Eating healthy 5-6 days of the week? If so how long will it take to loose 15lbs?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Many that struggle aim too high with their deficit. If you have set your goal to 2 pounds a week loss cut that back to a pound. If it is a pound, cut it back to half a pound. This can do wonders with stopping the restrict, binge cycle. Remember that it is better to lose slowly and consistantly than to constantly yo-yo. That way you will eventually reach your goal.

On a different note, many count calories over a week rather than a day. They restrict just a little bit extra during the week to give them some more to enjoy a meal out on the weekend. As long as you burn more than you eat over a period of time you will still lose weight.
  • abbeygriffiths96
    abbeygriffiths96 Posts: 9 Member
    Around 1200 on healthy days.
    Around 2500 on binge days
    136lbs
    No idea. Probably not much
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited April 2019
    two options:

- eat a bit more every day so you are not in a cycle of under eating over eating. 1200 is likely too low, how did you pick that number?
    - eat 1200 during the week to eat more on weekends BUT calculate to see your weekly calorie calorie goal for a weekly deficit. basically instead of calculating daily cals, calculate weekly cals.

at some point you just need to get your butt in gear though. mind over manner. Try to avoid triggers and set up your week for success.

with only 15lbs to lose i'd recommend putting your stats in MFP and selecting a rate of loss of 0.5lb/week. eat back exercies calories.
  • Lillymoo01
    Around 1200 on healthy days.
    Around 2500 on binge days
    136lbs
    No idea. Probably not much

Put your stats into MFP and set your goal to 1 pound a week loss. Eat back all those calories. If you do any exercise, log it and eat back at least half. Doing this rather than restricting to 1200 many days will result in fewer binges, which undo the results of all that restricting anyway.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    You're probably struggling because you're restricting too much. As several have stated you should really only be aiming for 0.5-1lb per week loss.

Below is a good illustration of why people tend to fail when they set themselves to 1200 calories...
    sfzbeuw2nx33.png
  • abbeygriffiths96
    Thank you so much everyone for all your help I will set my daily calorie intake higher! I got my calories at that through putting all my details in here and setting my loss goal to 1.5 a week which is stupidly high I know. I binge eat at the weekends not because I'm hungry but because my boyfriend always wants takeout and very unhealthy foods and if I mention getting something different I get shouted at
  • Lillymoo01
    Thank you so much everyone for all your help I will set my daily calorie intake higher! I got my calories at that through putting all my details in here and setting my loss goal to 1.5 a week which is stupidly high I know. I binge eat at the weekends not because I'm hungry but because my boyfriend always wants takeout and very unhealthy foods and if I mention getting something different I get shouted at

This tells me that it is time to drop him. There are much better men out there than that.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member

plan for the take out. start preparing now for eating once you get to your goal, for life. which will include take out. eat smaller portions, select sides that are lighter (or make your own veggie sides to go with the take out) and eat smaller portions.
  • abbeygriffiths96
    I do plan for takeout, I restrict more during the week, eat little else before and try to stick to small portions. If I made my own veggie sides though I would be ridiculed beyond belief unfortunately.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    The boyfriend is dead weight. Ditch him and focus on you! You're worth it!
  • I do plan for takeout, I restrict more during the week, eat little else before and try to stick to small portions. If I made my own veggie sides though I would be ridiculed beyond belief unfortunately.

2500 isn't really a binge. 1200 is too low for your good days, but only because it's keeping you hungry and thinking about food. 1200 on 6 days a week and 2500 on 1 day a week is an avg. of ~1400 a day. Unless you're tiny, and already close to your goal weight, that should still be a modest deficit. You could try upping your daily calories and introducing a fast day to compensate, or you could not eat all of the takeout, or you could add some cardio every week to offset the "binge'. If you add enough cardio, you could even increase your daily calories from 1200 with no net effect.

You may be a bit too young to realize this yet, but your boyfriend's behaviors are manipulative. He yells at and ridicules you in order to control you, which is NOT a healthy relationship. Relationships like those always get worse, not better. FWIW.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Your boyfriend is unreasonable and unkind. You should just do what you want regarding eating - you're the one who gets to make the choices about what goes into your body, not someone else. You can always make your own food, he buys what he wants to eat, and you eat the meal together. If he shouts at you and tries to control you, you could practice saying things like, "I'm getting ready to eat lunch. You could eat lunch before you come over, so we don't have to fight about this." Practice saying things like this! I'm pretty certain your boyfriend would never act this way in front of other people, he's just picked you to pick on. Aside from sabotaging your efforts to get healthier (what kind of guy does this?), he's likely to be setting you up to take a major belittling when he decides you're (1) not losing weight fast enough, (2) are losing weight too fast, or (3) you're a failure at everything you try. None of these are good outcomes. If he buys takeout food for you against your wishes, don't eat it. If that's too scary to do because you're afraid of his aggressive behavior toward you... that's a red flag. I'm not kidding. Be safe.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    If you like the pattern of having a takeaway treat at the weekend, as people said, you can plan for that and eat less on other days, or increase cardio to compensate, or you could try to moderate your intake....
    - would BF be up for trying a ‘Fakeaway’ - you cook a tasty homemade Indian or Chinese or Pizza with lower calorie count.
    - Opting for Chicken Shish kebab, no sauce, is actually a fairly filling & healthy takeaway. You can always add your own low fat mayo at home sparingly.
    - If choosing Chinese, opt for boiled rice not special fried. Choose the lighter vegetable & chicken based dishes rather than crispy chilli beef! (Mmm...drooling now I think of that...! But I think slimming world have a takeaway recipe for it actually)
    - Again, Indian, steer clear of the Naan & creamy dishes. Choose dry or tomato based sauces and plain rice.

It’s all about the damage limitation ;-)
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    I've been on here for a month and still struggling with sticking to the diet. I always seems to binge on weekends. Can you loose weight this way? Eating healthy 5-6 days of the week? If so how long will it take to loose 15lbs?

I lost about 40 pounds that way, having one cheat day a week. Well, it began as one cheat meal + one dessert and sort of evolved into "how much can I possibly eat between 10am and midnight." So it didn't work for me. But since you don't have very much weight to lose, I think it's definitely possible that you could reach your goal by watching your diet 5-6 days a week and letting yourself have one day a week to splurge a little.