Bathroom Scale

Options
How often do you replace your bathroom scale batteries? Mine uses a lithium coin battery which I was under the impression should last quite a while but I find myself having to replace every few months....I'm not sure if that's a normal timeframe or if I should be replacing my scale?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Aria. I'd say maybe once or twice a year? Not very often imho.
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I have had the same scale for a few years now, and do not recall ever replacing the batteries. It hasn't gone screwy yet, so... I dont think there is a standard. Just replace them if it starts acting wierd I guess? (faded display, crazy readings, wont stay on, etc)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I've had my scale for years and have only replaced the batteries once.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I have had the same scale for a few years now, and do not recall ever replacing the batteries. It hasn't gone screwy yet, so... I dont think there is a standard. Just replace them if it starts acting wierd I guess? (faded display, crazy readings, wont stay on, etc)

Yeah I have been getting inconsistent readings these past two weeks of 0.4-1lb during the same time I am weighing just going off and on again after re-calibrating. I have a feeling it might be time to replace the scale since the battery really should not be dying this quickly?
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options

Yeah I have been getting inconsistent readings these past two weeks of 0.4-1lb during the same time I am weighing just going off and on again after re-calibrating. I have a feeling it might be time to replace the scale since the battery really should not be dying this quickly?

Mine is wierd in that it reads like 4 lbs heavier the 1st time I step on it, then I have to step back on to get my real weight for that day. I think it has some memory function that I don't really understand? Could be what yours is doing? If you step off then back on, are the readings the same after that? If so, then that's my guess. Also, are you weighing on carpet, or a hard surface such as tile? Carpet or uneven surfaces can make the scale go wonky with wierd readings.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Use a dumbbell to check for accuracy. Recalibrate as needed. The battery should last a long time.
  • etherealanwar
    Options

Mine is wierd in that it reads like 4 lbs heavier the 1st time I step on it, then I have to step back on to get my real weight for that day. I think it has some memory function that I don't really understand? Could be what yours is doing? If you step off then back on, are the readings the same after that? If so, then that's my guess. Also, are you weighing on carpet, or a hard surface such as tile? Carpet or uneven surfaces can make the scale go wonky with wierd readings.

Oh mine does not have a memory function. I would step on and off again 3 times in a row and have 3 different readings. I am also using it on a flat hardwood floor. Honestly I am just so fed up with it so I ordered a new scale. $20 to hopefully no longer have this issue is worth it to me haha!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I need to get new batteries for mine. It's a cheapo scale anyway so I'm debating just getting an EatSmart scale to replace it entirely rather than pay for lithium batteries.
    Reason I know it needs new batteries is because I weighed in the other day, then pooped and got back on the scale. Claimed I gained weight. lol
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I think I have replaced mine twice in about 10 years.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I replaced my scale a couple of weeks ago because it kept giving me error codes. I ordered a new one and while I was waiting for delivery of the new one my old one started working just fine. So I now have two. My new one weighs me one less pound than the old one so guess which one I use!
  • etherealanwar
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I replaced my scale a couple of weeks ago because it kept giving me error codes. I ordered a new one and while I was waiting for delivery of the new one my old one started working just fine. So I now have two. My new one weighs me one less pound than the old one so guess which one I use!

Haha that's nice! With my luck my new scale will weigh me higher than my current one :D
  • scribblemoma
    scribblemoma Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Use a dumbbell to check for accuracy. Recalibrate as needed. The battery should last a long time.

This is GENIUS 😳 Why didn’t I think of that?!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've replaced my battery once in the last 6 years.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options

That's not weird. Every digital bodyweight scale I have owned works that way. Putting some weight on it "wakes it up" (in lieu of an on/off switch) and it then needs to tare to zero with nothing on the scale.

I'm not sure if I've ever had to replace the battery in my current one, and I've had it several years at least. But I only weigh myself once a week. I imagine if you're a daily weigher, or someone who jumps on it multiple times a day, or have multiple people weighing daily, the battery would wear out faster.
  • Remoth
    Remoth Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Oh mine does not have a memory function. I would step on and off again 3 times in a row and have 3 different readings. I am also using it on a flat hardwood floor. Honestly I am just so fed up with it so I ordered a new scale. $20 to hopefully no longer have this issue is worth it to me haha!

Unfortunately. That reasoning is why most people have this issue. When it comes to measuring devices, whether it is weight, pressure, temperature, etc, cheap stuff you can buy at Walmart just doesnt compare to higher-end, industrial devices from companies like rosemount, Honeywell's, etc. Granted they cost a lot of money, but the repeatability of what they are measuring is a lot more consistent and they are much more reliable. Cheap weigh scales are plenty good enough to track trends and know body weight, but to measure to absolute accuracy of less than 50 grams everytime? I'm sorry but you just arent paying for that. Most budget scales could be off by as much as a pound between weigh ins. That doesnt mean they always are, just that they could be. Even high end scales at hospitals and industrial places need to be calibrated by a technician every so often. Frequency of calibration depends on importance of what its measuring and legalities. My advice is dont expect a $20 scale to act like a $1000 one.
  • etherealanwar
    Options
    Remoth wrote: »

Unfortunately. That reasoning is why most people have this issue. When it comes to measuring devices, whether it is weight, pressure, temperature, etc, cheap stuff you can buy at Walmart just doesnt compare to higher-end, industrial devices from companies like rosemount, Honeywell's, etc. Granted they cost a lot of money, but the repeatability of what they are measuring is a lot more consistent and they are much more reliable. Cheap weigh scales are plenty good enough to track trends and know body weight, but to measure to absolute accuracy of less than 50 grams everytime? I'm sorry but you just arent paying for that. Most budget scales could be off by as much as a pound between weigh ins. That doesnt mean they always are, just that they could be. Even high end scales at hospitals and industrial places need to be calibrated by a technician every so often. Frequency of calibration depends on importance of what its measuring and legalities. My advice is dont expect a $20 scale to act like a $1000 one.

I am more so looking for consistency. The scale I had was fine for the last several years of owning it with showing one number per weigh in without any change. That is what I am looking for, not the number being 100% accurate as I am aware that that is not possible.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Maybe dust is getting in the scale.
  • Remoth
    Remoth Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Remoth wrote: »

I am more so looking for consistency. The scale I had was fine for the last several years of owning it with showing one number per weigh in without any change. That is what I am looking for, not the number being 100% accurate as I am aware that that is not possible.

Yah, I understand. This is called repeatability. It is also an important factor of what makes something a good measuring device. If something is not repeatable, it cannot be relied upon for good measurement(which is the problem you are having). Expensive devices get replaced all the time because their repeatability falls below the acceptable standard.

I do hope you find one that works for you though. I try my hardest to step on the scale once only. I know if I get on and off 4 times, I'll probably get 4 different weights, but I know they are good enough for what I'm measuring. I also know that drinking a large glass of water will change the weight more than the rated accuracy of the scale, so it doesnt bother me too much. Good luck!