Feeling Shaky when first starting diet.

Options
So today is my Day 1. I notice whenever I am trying to cut calories I get shaky hands and feel a little lightheaded.

Back story. I’m 237lbs 5’8”. Haven’t restricted my eating for years(that’s why I’m 237!). Probably hitting 2,500 calories a day minimum. So I never felt that when eating a ton.

I’m at 1,700 or so calories that MFP has set for me. How can I combat that feeling?! I’m eating every 3 hours. Feel free to friend me and check out my diet.

Thank you! <3

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food? Not running too steep of a deficit?
  • nrobenolt
    nrobenolt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I always have problems dieting, My stomach and feeling tired and light headed!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Caffeine?
  • AuthenticallyAmanda
    AuthenticallyAmanda Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I do not weigh my food. May have to up the cals.

• AuthenticallyAmanda
    Options
    nrobenolt wrote: »
    I always have problems dieting, My stomach and feeling tired and light headed!

Same! One day at a time.

• AuthenticallyAmanda
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Caffeine?

I had about 6oz throughout the day. From 9am-3pm
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

Well before upping the cals weigh what you're eating right now, in case you're eating less than the 1700cal MFP gave you. Did you pick a 1lb/week loss or 2lb/week?
  • AuthenticallyAmanda
    Options

Well before upping the cals weigh what you're eating right now, in case you're eating less than the 1700cal MFP gave you. Did you pick a 1lb/week loss or 2lb/week?

I am doing 1lb per week.
  • AuthenticallyAmanda
    Options

I am doing 1lb per week.

Then I would get a food scale and start weighing and tracking, and making sure you're eating enough. Getting enough of macros and sodium (shakiness can sometimes be an electrolyte imbalance). If you're exercising you should be eating back a portion of those calories back too.

Thank you! Will check on that.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Any chance you are hypoglycemic or hyperinsulinemic?

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »

^ i was hypoglycemic was great to find out
  • NovusDies
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

It is pretty miserable when your blood sugar drops. I am hyperinsulinemic. Oddly it is only a real problem in the morning and only if I don't eat the right ratio which for me is no less than 1 gram of protein for every 2 grams of carbs. If I eat too carb heavy I will tank by 11am. If I skip breakfast altogether I am fine. Weird.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    I have to eat pretty constantly my job is dangerous if i crash...it took me alot of trial and error to figure out how to do that and lose 100 pounds lol. Definatly isnt ideal
  • NovusDies
    Options
    I have to eat pretty constantly my job is dangerous if i crash...it took me alot of trial and error to figure out how to do that and lose 100 pounds lol. Definatly isnt ideal

Trial and error took forever for me because I naturally skip breakfast. I would eat something some weekends maybe once every 2 months. It wasn't until 2 years ago I cracked the code after eating a bagel one morning and getting sit down room spinning sick. After some experimentation I figured out my ratio and that helped me figure out how to lose weight without being hungry all the time.
  • rickiimarieee
    rickiimarieee Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    So today is my Day 1. I notice whenever I am trying to cut calories I get shaky hands and feel a little lightheaded.

Back story. I’m 237lbs 5’8”. Haven’t restricted my eating for years(that’s why I’m 237!). Probably hitting 2,500 calories a day minimum. So I never felt that when eating a ton.

I’m at 1,700 or so calories that MFP has set for me. How can I combat that feeling?! I’m eating every 3 hours. Feel free to friend me and check out my diet.

Thank you! <3
    I always get lightheaded and almost pass out when I stand up from dieting. I think it’s the change in the deficit of calories. From going to eating whatever I want to cutting my calories and watching what I’m eating.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Don’t drop immediately from 2500 down to 1700. Try dropping 100-200 per week. Weigh your good. Don’t obsess over macros but do evaluate them after weighing for a couple weeks. Start with MFP default macros. You might need more protein and less carbs, or you could be dropping your carbs too much. Either way can cause the symptoms you describe.
  • AuthenticallyAmanda
    Options

I do not think so. I have read the symptoms which fit me, but blood levels are pretty normal. Fasting glucose was a couple points high. Nothing major.
  • matrosov65
    matrosov65 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Did you do blood tests just to make sure you're not diabetic/ pre-diabetic? Could be dangerous if you are. Are you hydrated as in electrolytes sodium potassium calcium magnesium? Are you exercising? And what others said try to ease into it you're dropping 800 hundred calories from your usual that's quite a withdrawal.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    That happened to me the first week of MFP. People here on the forums suggested more protein, and I found for me that helped a lot! A little more fat was good, too. I’d have a couple scrambled eggs with a slice or two of avocado. Headache, lightheaded feeling and slight nausea all went away.