Keto, fun, but unsustainable

Options
MDC2957
MDC2957 Posts: 417 Member
Tried it for about a month, but found it to be unsustainable in the end. Back to the carbs for me!

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Never sounded like much fun to me and I never wanted to try it - but whatever works for people is fine.

Way not for me though.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    I don't even think it's fun... :|

My experiment with it was a total fail too but that is an individual response. I am not sure how many people would sign up for my plan either though.

I think it is generally a smart idea to customize a plan for yourself and if there is something that the OP enjoyed from the experiment it should be incorporated.

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    It's good that it helped you learn what works for you and what doesn't, and that you moved to a different strategy instead of suffering on one you knew you couldn't stick to. I think keto is a good strategy for those inclined towards keto foods, but for us, it just doesn't work.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yeah wasn't sustainable for me either. And then when I went off it years ago I had a carb eating rebound which resulted in the gain of a lot of weight (due to calories duh). Yikes!
  • whatsizbucket
    whatsizbucket Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am embarking on the journey for the third time. I didn't do it right the first time, used low-carb cookbooks with weird ingredients the second time, and here I am a third time, with recipes on Pinterest. I just hope they work out, to let me lose weight. Many of the days on this Ketogenic Diet, do not have butter. Many of the items suggest you slather it in butter... For example coffee. Suggests 1 tablespoon of real butter. My mom thinks is the grossest thing to do to coffee. We'll see.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Fun is not the word I would use, personally. Nothing fun about not being able to eat things I like, and I can eat keto foods just fine if something sounds fun without having to go keto.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Best not to get obsessive with imaginary, cult-ish inspired rules....
    Agreed with @NovusDies there is definitely something to be learned from experimentation & learning how to individualize aspects of one diet to fit your personal goal(s)

I certainly prefer eating more carbs and protein - so much that I am far from being a textbook keto person. My macros are more reminiscent of a bastardized keto (high protein focused, restricted carbohydrates, fat is variable for me based on overall kcals that I need); I will certainly have some high fat more traditional keto macro cheat days though every so often

I agree that some people seem to take it way too far and obsess way too much over ketosis and macros. I do the best I can, and I don't consider it "dirty" or "lazy" keto. I just refuse to spend money on test strips or MCT oil ($$$) or any of the other potions and powders. I just keep it very simple and it works for me.