Replies

• ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Panini911 wrote: »
    keto is just a way of eating. People maintain and even gain weight eating this way. some peoeple enjoy it as it keeps them full and they enjoy the foods that work well wtih keto.

Remember carbs are not only in bread and rice. they are in fruit and veggies and many other foods. and Keto is VERY low carb (you can alternatively eat just "lower carb" without going as far as Keto goes).

there is no need to do Keto to lose weight. especially if it's not a way of eating one finds filling or can see doing the rest of their life. the best way to lose weight is by practicing habits you will hopefully maintain for life to keep the weight off.

to lose weight, you need to eat fewer calories than your body uses over a period of time. that's it. pick a way of eating that is comfortable for you and keeps you full. personally my "diet" has no name. i eat foods i like, in moderation and ensure they fit in my calorie goal.

This. The only reasons to do keto are if you like to eat that way or if a doctor specifically told you to do it to treat a medical condition. Keto does not do anything special for weight loss. Weight loss happens in a calorie deficit, and keto is just one way that some people prefer to eat while in a deficit.

It also helped, in my case, by breaking the addiction to junk carbs. Once I cut out the white bread and sugar and processed foods, it was like flipping a switch. I just didn't want them anymore. Being a food addict, it's the only thing that's worked for me. I spent years giving my money to Kellogg's, to Nestle, to Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine, and I stayed broke, fat and sick. There's no one at the top of the keto pyramid making money off this diet. It's just the way we ate before processed carbs were a thing.

LOL except the myriad of “doctors” and others selling books, creating websites with paid advertisements and other profit generators trying to convince the public of the magic of keto, the evils of sugar and insulin, and that this is basically the best thing since sliced bread. And yes, that pun is intended. If you think people aren’t trying to profit off of keto then you are sorely mistaken.

They sure haven't gotten any money from me. I'm sure there are 'experts' pushing potions and pills, but I don't take any of those. Everything I've learned and everything I've tried has been 100% free. I don't know that I'd recommend this lifestyle for someone looking to lose a few pounds, or someone who's not a diabetic. But in my case, it was the best option.

Have you visited any websites like dietdoctor or any other sites with information about a ketogenic diet? If so, then yes they are profiting off of you. They may not be directly taking your money but they are profiting from advertisers who paid for a spot on that site in the hopes you would visit.

Additionally your original claim was that food manufacturers weren’t profiting from the keto trend in the way you believe they have capitalized on processed foods and carbs but at the store this weekend I noticed a number of products marketed as low carb and “keto friendly”. Not to mention the local meal prep service by me has now introduced a line of keto meal plans that people can purchase.

My original claim was that there wasn't one person profiting off of keto. No Jillian Michaels, no Oprah, no Dr. Atkins. No one "invented" keto. There's always someone willing to take your money if you're gullible enough to give it.

Pointing out that there's LOTS of people making money off of keto when your claim was that there wasn't "one person" making money off of keto does not prove you right.

The point stands that keto is promoted as much as it is because people are making money from it.

I'm not trying to prove anything. I simply shared very personal, private information about my experience with keto with someone I don't even know (since they asked), and with anyone who happens to read it, in the hopes that it may help. Keto may or may not be right for the OP. The only thing I'm advocating for anyone to do is to speak to their doctor.
  • terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    edited April 2019
    Is it for a diet (then no), lifestyle change (then yes). I find keto too restrictive but have great success with lowering my carbs to <100g. That works for me, the weight melted off and easy to still be social with friends.
    I agree with @ultra_violets that it helped me kick the cravings of things like pasta, potatoes and rice. I am not satisfied with having minimal and stopping myself from overeating.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Having a hard time deciding whether or not I should do the Keto diet. Is anyone doing this diet currently? Have any advice on how to get started? Thanks luv

i gave it a go, but i really really missed my fruit and veg.. i couldn't sustain it based only on that, the rest of it was ok. i lost a bit but not loads. i prefer calorie counting where nothing is off limits, i a,m however keeping my carbs still low, eradicating pasta bread .. potato ( sometimes) but ive incorporated fruit back into my diet and boyyy i love melon :)