exercise: what if i HATE EVERYTHING?

Options
13»

Replies

• prap2016
    prap2016 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise with a passion yet do 30 minutes of weight training and burn 400+ of elliptical work. A healthy lifestyle doesn’t care if it sucks.
  • Jess_Heartson11
    Jess_Heartson11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The way I see it, you have 3 choices:
    1) don't exercise. But you need to adjust your calories. If you're gaining a lb a day, you're overeating ALOT.
    2) Hate it but do it anyway. We all have to do things we don't like, but we're adults and that's life.
    3) The one I recommend - find something you don't hate.

Although you don't think yoga will help you burn calories, it will actually improve core strength, increasing muscle (albeit slowly) and increasing your metabolism making it easier to burn calories.
    Have you thought about Pilates? You can do that at home in your living room. Other low-activity sports: curling, bowls, bowling, recreational ice skating/quad skating, walking, leisurely swim.
  • Jamie2663
    Jamie2663 Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I dislike exercise a lot. I do it but I will never be one of those who enjoy it. I find setting goals for myself helps keep me motivated. I started by walking a mile in about 20 minutes... I decided I am going to run a 5k.... So that is now my goal and I am up to 2.5 miles in about 30 minutes. If I don't have a plan or a goal it just is not happening. I have seen many benefits from being more active aside from weight loss. Sleeping better, less stress etc and it has helped keep me going. I also buy shirts that say things like "I hate you. I hate this place. See you tomorrow". Finding humor in it helps :)
  • SeattleBebop1
    SeattleBebop1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi OP, you mentioned you are in grad school & stressed. I work at a big university (with grad students, actually) and when I go to the gym, I see some students with Kindles or listening to their phones while on the elliptical bikes / stairmaster / etc. - you can probably record your professors (although many classes are already put online!) and listen or read notes. This way, you can feel that you are getting your studies done *and* losing weight. As an added benefit, you will find the increased flow of blood to your brain improves your concentration, and you will become better able to manage stress. I had a stressful day and work and I feel so much more relaxed after my run.
  • johngsprague
    johngsprague Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey Rothko, they say you can't exercise off a bad diet, so it's fork control 101 for you! You've been successful with weightwatchers, why not give it another go? One way or another you will have to get those calories under control, but there are many fun ways to do it, just keep studying it and tweaking your life until it's perfect.

Exercise is a great thing to get hooked on, because I truly believe it will be the difference in how we enjoy that last decade or so. Wanna be in a wheelchair or behind a walker? Me neither!
    In music, they say the best instrument to play is the one you love to practice. It goes the same for fitness! I would highly recommend watching more ESPN and sports, and consider hey maybe you'd like tennis, or swimming, or jogging, or one of those boxing workout gyms where you do some aerobics and then hit the bags. There are loads of fitness things to join where it's 8 weeks of this or 10 weeks of that at your community center. Why not try a few? You'll meet tons of cool people. You may find out that you're a natural at ping pong, or some other fun thing!

Good luck!
    JS
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want an easy fix. There is no easy fix. Whatever you decide to do--calorie counting, Weight Watchers, exercising--you'll have to commit to it and work at it.

Losing weight is hard and it takes tons of commitment and dedication.