Gastric Bypass and the last 35 pounds

Hi all! About me:

I’m 5 feet flat, 34 yrs old.

Had gastric bypass in 2018, now trying to lose the last 35 lbs.

Diagnosed with binge eating disorder, so I’m looking for HEALTHY friends.

I like to walk and do body weight exercises.

Focused on calories and eating 60g of protein a day. Other macros to come. Vegetarian with the occasional fish.

Therapist during the day, crazy lady at night ;)

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Hi, you might want to try this group for support, it's members are people who have been through surgery or are thinking about going through it, there are probably more people there in your same situation than the general message boards -

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband
  • recoveringami
    recoveringami Posts: 43 Member
    Thank you!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Did you get BED after surgery?
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    I went to a lot of seminars and support groups when I was thinking about getting surgery. It was mentioned that if you are stalled, to go back to what you were eating when you first had the surgery.
  • jane1655
    jane1655 Posts: 3 Member
    I am having Gastric by Pass surgery next Tuesday. I am currently on liquid diet in prep for surgery. I participate in a support group and many of the people come back to the meeting that have trouble at any point staying on the program and maintaining. Psych doctors will also take appointments to help you get back on track.
  • larman64
    larman64 Posts: 6 Member
    I am due to have my surgery in June. I am just terrified. I am not afraid of the operation I am afraid of the permanent change it will bring to my life. I am leaning to not have the surgery at this point as I still feel I can loose the weight on my own. I keep hearing from people who have had the surgery how they would have the surgery all over again but I am fearful that I will not be one of them.
  • recoveringami
    recoveringami Posts: 43 Member
    larman64 wrote: »
    I am due to have my surgery in June. I am just terrified. I am not afraid of the operation I am afraid of the permanent change it will bring to my life. I am leaning to not have the surgery at this point as I still feel I can loose the weight on my own. I keep hearing from people who have had the surgery how they would have the surgery all over again but I am fearful that I will not be one of them.

I completely understand the fear. It DOES change your life. For me, it changed it for THE BETTER.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member

Follow your feelings and maybe postpone it? Spend another 3 months counting calories and see how much more you lose.
    There are 100’s of people on this site that have lost 100-200-300 lbs without surgery messing up their body for life. And there are many who have had surgery and gained it all back - some never even getting to goal first. Take care and keep us posted.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member

Check out the group I linked above - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/637-gastric-bypass-vsg-lapband

There are people at all stages of pre- and post-surgery and they will tell you honestly everything they have gone through, the good, the bad, and the ugly. I think you will get more informed answers from people who have been through it. I am over 5 years post sleeve surgery and I am one of those people who would do it all over again. It changed my life for the better in many ways, however, I know not everyone has an easy time after surgery.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member

If you are unsure I would suggest waiting. I had a lapband installed in 2005 and had alot of problems with it. I don't believe they do that surgery anymore but I did regret the surgery. I had it removed a couple years later and was only about 18 pounds lighter. I have since lost a total of 103 pounds on my own and maintained the loss for over a year. Surgery is a big step. I don't knock those who do it because I think it takes alot of courage and it is still alot of work to get to goal but if you aren't absolutely certain then I say try it on your own. The surgery you are considering isn't reversable and there are side affects. Also if you are not a volume eater it might not help you as much as it does some. That was the issue in my case. I have always eaten the wrong things rather than large quantities. Of course I ate more than I should have but I didn't lose much because I continued to eat alot of sugar and fat neither of which are bulky. Anyway good luck and sorry OP to have butted into your post but really felt for this person's struggle.